[comp.sys.apple] Forgotten memory on the GS?!

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (09/08/89)

 12:13 AM  - just finished reading ALL of the postings from about the middle of
May through Sept. 7 !!  What a job!!!  Must keep up with news, though!
    Here's my question:  If I go to the control panel, and examine the Ram Disk
right after I turn the machine on, I see the following figures:

          84 k  in use
         683 k  free

Adding this up gives a figure of 767 k.  My classic "Woz" has 256 k on board
memory, and an AE GS-Ram card populated with 512 k.  Total = 768 k ?!  Not that
I've ever had any difficulties in the three years I've owned the machine... but
I'm just curious.  And what is using 84 k of RAM at power-up?  (I hit control-
reset, so I'm not executing anything - I thought everything was in ROM?!)

Sorry if this is a rehash of questions already asked.

 - seth kadesh
tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations.
Coming soon: tmS Software - as soon as I get TML Pascal II

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/09/89)

In article <wZ1oAu200WB408On9a@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>[...]  If I go to the control panel, and examine the Ram Disk
>right after I turn the machine on, I see the following figures:
>          84 k  in use
>         683 k  free
>Adding this up gives a figure of 767 k.  My classic "Woz" has 256 k on board
>memory, and an AE GS-Ram card populated with 512 k.  Total = 768 k ?! [...]

Don't worry about a missing K: it sounds like the displayed values are
just being rounded *down* to a whole number of K.

>[...] And what is using 84 k of RAM at power-up?  (I hit control-
>reset, so I'm not executing anything - I thought everything was in ROM?!)

"Used" is a misleading term for some of that 84K.  Using the Memory Peeker
right after a self-test reveals the following breakdown of that 84K on my
ROM 01 machine:

There are several areas that are marked permanently allocated, since they
are used in special ways (the Memory Manager can't allocate them like most
areas of memory):

    2K at $00/0000 (including text screen)
   16K at $00/C000 (softswitches and language-card space)
    2K at $01/0000 (includes part of 80-column text screen, etc)
   16K at $01/C000 (softswitches and auxiliary language-card space)
    8K at $E0/0000 (system-owned space--various uses)
   24K at $E0/C000 (softswitches, language card, plus system-owned space)
   16K at $E1/C000 (softswitches, language card)

And, finally, there are 4 blocks totalling less than 200 bytes, for various
parts of the toolbox.

(Amazingly enough, that adds up to just over 84K.)

By the way--the above numbers are for curiosity-satisfaction purposes only...
see appropriate documentation if you want to know what things are guaranteed.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.