[comp.sys.apple] telecom program

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (09/06/89)

>  What I'm looking for is suggestions.  What you want, what you don't want,
>what kind of user interface it should have (I'm looking at a text implementatio
>of mac-like menus), anything at all you like and don't about the current
>generation of communications programs.  Given enough input from users, I
>should be able to make a truly great program (given enough time, too).

In addition to the other suggestions posted, I'd like to see z-modem file
transfers and use of the keypad as a vt100 keypad.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet: Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer: These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College.

SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET (Psychedelia) (09/07/89)

  In addition to Zmodem, I would like to see Zmodem-batch, and a real version
  of Ymodem.  Also, I would like to have an ANSI compatible terminal that
  produces color graphics.  Another nice feature would be a clock/alarm.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (09/07/89)

In article <8909061630.aa09968@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET (Psychedelia) writes:

>  In addition to Zmodem, I would like to see Zmodem-batch, and a real version
>  of Ymodem.  Also, I would like to have an ANSI compatible terminal that
>  produces color graphics.  Another nice feature would be a clock/alarm.

Proterm does do Zmodem batch, a cruddy job of it, but it does work.  My worst
time with Proterm Zmodem took over two hours to receive a file where the
estimate was 45 minutes.  Proterm needed every other block resent (and then
some).  I like Proterm's editor, and I like the way it can type APW files,
and its text capture routine on the scroll back buffer.  Its print screen
command NEVER works properly on my computer, and the option to run with the
printer on is useless because it loses the first few characters of every line.

In addition some kind on online timer would be useful, even people without
clocks could achieve the same effect by tapping their mousecard.  Did I mention
I like mouse/window interfaces?  You just initialize the mousecard for
interrupts, enable interrupts, and count them, theres 60 interrupts every
second.  I have a program written to do this (the timer) if you want a copy,
it also works fine with built in clocks/prodos compatible clocks.

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/09/89)

In article <3868@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>Proterm does do Zmodem batch, a cruddy job of it, but it does work.  My worst
>time with Proterm Zmodem took over two hours to receive a file where the
>estimate was 45 minutes.  Proterm needed every other block resent (and then
>some).

Try downloading to a RAM disk.  The //gs comm buffer is rather small (like
20 bytes) that a streaming protocol is next to useless if your system accesses
the disk...

Has anybody considered porting sz/rz to APW or ORCA/C?  You'd need a quicky
shell program to access the modem (one was built in to ECP 8), and then do
some fancy I/O redirection in the programs (can't really use stdin/stdout...),
but it should be possible.  This would allow true Zmodem transfers on a //gs,
and would pave the way for shell-based //gs modem programs (is ECP16 freeware?)

If anybody is willing to try such a feat, I can give you the ftp site info
(or send you the shar file if you don't have access).

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden