[comp.sys.apple] Make utilities

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (09/07/89)

  Hello all.

  I have just started using Orca/C, and am interested in a make utility.  (I am
porting a few interesting programs from Unix, and I have not yet figured out an
easy way to translate the commands in a unix makefile to APW commands that the
shell will be happy with.  Any comments appreciated.

  By the way, TML systems has still not shipped TML Pascal II.  Any takers on
when they are likely to?  They claimed that they were shipping "next week," but
they claimed that last week as well.

  Has anyone seen a good CAD program for the GS?  Cheap would be nice also...

                         Scott
                         SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
                         sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu
ps.  Thanks to those who responded to my last query.  I have not gotten around
to mailing replies to all of you individually yet, but I do know you are out
there.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/07/89)

In article <59C397D8DBBF60109C@HMCVAX.BITNET> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>  I have just started using Orca/C, and am interested in a make utility.  (I am
>porting a few interesting programs from Unix, and I have not yet figured out an
>easy way to translate the commands in a unix makefile to APW commands that the
>shell will be happy with.  Any comments appreciated.

Probably your best bet is to get 360 MicroSystems' File Utilities II,
which includes a viable "make" adapted to the APW/Orca environment,
"grep", and something else I've forgotten ("find" maybe?).  They're not
exact clones of the UNIX utilities but are close enough to be useful.

An alternative is to create a shell script (EXEC file), but that way
you'd be recompiling everything every time.  Somebody once posted an
APW/Orca command that could be used to compare the relative ages of
two files, for use in such shell scripts to avoid unecessary operations.

martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com (Martin Peckham) (09/09/89)

There are any number of public MS-DOS make utilities on the BBS's that can be
ported to the gs. BUT, I would advise not using ORCA/C because it is too buggy
to use. The software should have never left beta testing. Wait for the next
release, maybe Mike Westerfield will have his 'stuff' together by then.

Marty

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!martyp
INET: martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com