[comp.sys.apple] Running GS/OS from ProDOS 8

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (09/08/89)

Is is possible to boot up ProDOS 8 and then run GS/OS?  I can only install
ProDOS 8 on my hard drive (from a boot up), so I'm trying to figure a way to
simply run GSOS.  I've tried simply running the PRODOS file on the system disk,
but no luck there.  I get a "unable to find START.GS.OS file" (or something
like that).

aptc1%mkvax1@msus1.bitnet

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (09/08/89)

In article <8909072228.aa14226@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET writes:
>Is is possible to boot up ProDOS 8 and then run GS/OS?  I can only install
>ProDOS 8 on my hard drive (from a boot up), so I'm trying to figure a way to
>simply run GSOS.  I've tried simply running the PRODOS file on the system disk,
>but no luck there.  I get a "unable to find START.GS.OS file" (or something
>like that).
	Yes, it's possible - I do it all the time. I have Nibble's SmartBoot
installed so that I can boot into either ProDOS 8 or GS/OS. When I want to run
a GS/OS application, I just execute the ProDOS file, and it works. So, there
must be something else. For example, are you setting the prefix to the disk
you're trying to boot from? I wouldn't think that would make a difference,
but ya never know... If you need to, couldn't you just use a PR#5 (or whatever
slot you're booting GS/OS from)?
	I don't understand the problem with installing GS/OS on your hard
drive. I can't imagine it's too small (you could put GS/OS even on a 5Mb HD).
What sort of hard drive and controller card do you have? I you have Apple's
Rev. C card, you should be able to use the Installer (you'll probably have to
install the Hard Drive stuff on the GS/OS 3.5" that you're booting from, and
then reboot and run the installer again - then do a complete install on the
HD).

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (09/09/89)

Yes, it is possible.  If you take your Master GS/OS system disk,
make a copy of the file in the top directory called PRODOS, rename it
Start.GSOS (or something) and then execute it, it will launch gs/os
for you.   The REAL prodos is hiding in the system folder with the
name P8.

Seymour

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (09/09/89)

Thank you all for the replies...

Jason: The type of drive I'm using is a Corvus Omni-Drive.  As far as I know,
there isn't a driver available for it.  I have talked with Corvus, and they
confirm that only ProDOS 8 can be installed on the drive.  Still have to work
with getting the GSOS working...Any suggestions?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/09/89)

In article <Sep.8.16.16.28.1989.23711@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Yes, it is possible.  If you take your Master GS/OS system disk,
>make a copy of the file in the top directory called PRODOS, rename it
>Start.GSOS (or something) and then execute it, it will launch gs/os
>for you.   The REAL prodos is hiding in the system folder with the
>name P8.
>
>Seymour

This isn't *guaranteed* to work.  Your results may differ depending on your
hardware.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (09/10/89)

Network Comment: to #9788 by puff!rt5.cs.wisc.edu!blochowi%speedy.wisc.edu@BRL.MIL

The way my system is set up is that I boot into GS/OS but *do not* boot into
the finder.  I have renamed the 'start' program to 'start.finder' and then
have ECP8.SYSTEM as the first .system file in my root directory.  This setup
causes me to boot into ProDOS 8, but with GS/OS loaded.  This way I can just
type the name of the GS/OS program I want to run and it runs!

ECP8 is freeware from Carolina System Software.

Dale

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com