[comp.sys.apple] Directory subtypes on System Disk V5.0

DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET (David C. Schweisguth) (09/10/89)

Hi, all. A summary of the answers to my recent question:

>What are directory subtypes $4 and $8? [or ">"-preceded words to that effect]

$4, which has for an icon a folder with an arrow pointing down into it, is an
AppleShare drop folder. One can drop stuff into it but can't write to it,
delete it, or whatever thereafter.

$8, whose icon is a folder with a black tab, is an "owned" folder which can
only be written to by its owner.

Both of these directory subtypes (as well as subtype $2, the GS/OS System
folder) actually have auxtype $0; only the icons themselves have the "auxtype"
for icon-matching purposes.

Gee, I'll bet those were in the manual, but I've never seen one ...

/                                                                             \
| David C. Schweisguth     406 Althouse Laboratory   "When one has much to    |
| AppleLink PE: Von Mordo  University Park, PA 16802  put into them, a day    |
| Bitnet: DCS100@PSUVM     814-862-0806 (home) or     has a thousand pockets."|
| GEnie: D.SCHWEISGUT      814-863-2791 (work)        -- Friedrich Nietzsche  |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/12/89)

In article <89252.175435DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET> DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET (David C. Schweisguth) writes:
>[...]
>$8, whose icon is a folder with a black tab, is an "owned" folder which can
>only be written to by its owner.

Almost:  The back tab means you're the folder's owner, but that's all it means.
It doesn't tell you what access other people have to the folder, if any.  (For
example, in a whole folder full of Drop Folders, everybody else's shows up to
me with the down-pointing arrow, but my *own* drop folder, which I own, shows
up with a black tab, instead.  To verify that it's a drop folder, I can select
it and choose Icon Info, and then click on the Access card.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.