[net.movies] RANCHO DE LUXE

mdash@sftri.UUCP (M.D.Scheer) (10/23/84)

(This article is a reposting.  Apparently the first attempt ended up in a
bit bucket somewhere.  Apologies if you have already seen this.)

Am I the only person who has ever seen this contemporary western?  I am
posting this article in the hope of getting responses to show to friends
skeptical of the movie's existence.

Highlights include Slim Pickens' performance as a shuffling but shrewd
private detective specializing in cattle rustlers, one of the younger
Bridges and (?) as rustlers of interest (tools of trade:  high-powered
rifle and chain saw) and Jimmy Buffet and band (singing about Tony Llama
boots) in a redneck bar.

My vagueness on details is probably attributable to the same reason as
my friends' skepticism:  apparently, this film is only shown between 2 and
4 AM on local TV.

jpm@ptsfc.UUCP (Jim Moore) (10/25/84)

> Am I the only person who has ever seen this contemporary western?

No, you are not.  Regretably I have "seen" _Rancho_Deluxe_ myself.  I just
couldn't believe my eyes.  The only thing that really left an impression
was when a car was totally shot to oblivion.  A cadillac, I think.
Interesting scene, right?

     Jim Moore
     ptsfa!ptsfc!jpm
     Pacific Bell

REMEMBER - "Things are only as bad as they are
            and can only get worse if they do!"

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (10/27/84)

Rancho Deluxe also contained a line that has become a saying among some of my
acquaintances.

    character A (paraphrase): We've got it all. What more could you ask for?

    character B (exact): A million dollars and a pound of cocaine.

I don't recall who said what or the situation involved. Mostly the humor was
pretty dry.
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) (10/30/84)

> Highlights include Slim Pickens' performance as a shuffling but shrewd
> private detective specializing in cattle rustlers, one of the younger
> Bridges and (?) as rustlers of interest (tools of trade:  high-powered
> rifle and chain saw) and Jimmy Buffet and band (singing about Tony Llama
> boots) in a redneck bar.

I loved this movie when I saw it years ago.  The "one of the younger
Bridges" was Jeff Bridges.  His partner in crime was Harry Dean Stanton.
Highly recommended.

Rancho Deluxe would make a great Jeff Bridges double bill with Cutter's
Way (another gem).

--peter gross
hao!pag

csvsj@ucbopal.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (11/01/84)

Jeff Bridges's "partner in crime" was the excellent actor Sam Waterston.
Harry Dean Stanton played an inside accomplice to the climactic cattle
rustling attempt.

"Rancho Deluxe" was a great movie; I think Thomas McGuane wrote the screenplay.
Does anybody remember who directed it? It has a similar feeling to another
great movie, "Smile", but I am sure Michael Ritchie did not direct "Rancho
Deluxe".

Steve Jacobson
U.C. Berkeley

boylan@sun.uucp (Lee Boylan) (11/04/84)

In addition to Jeff Bridges, Slim Pickens and Harrry Dean Stanton,
Elizabeth Ashley and Clifton James played the rich ranchers.  Sam
Waterston played Bridges' buddy.

One of my favorite off-the-wall comedies.

boylan@sun.uucp (Lee Boylan) (11/04/84)

Yes, McGuane wrote the screenplay.  It was directed by Frank Perry.

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/04/84)

Memory could misserve me, as my handy reference books are silent on this
film, but I think Thomas McGuane also directed "Rancho Deluxe", in addition
to writing the screenplay.  Within a couple of years of that film, he also
directed "92 in the Shade", with Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Margot Kidder,
Burgess Meredith, Harry Dean Stanton, and Elizabeth Ashley.  (McGuane sure
has an eye for up and coming talent, doesn't he, considering that this picture
was made in 1975.)

			Peter Reiher
--

					Peter Reiher
					reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (11/07/84)

> From:	ucla-cs!reiher	(Peter Reiher)

> Memory could misserve me, as my handy reference books are silent on this
> film, but I think Thomas McGuane also directed "Rancho Deluxe", in addition
> to writing the screenplay.

HALLIWELL'S FILM GUIDE lists Frank Perry as the director of RANCHO DE LUXE.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/09/84)

>HALLIWELL'S FILM GUIDE lists Frank Perry as the director of RANCHO DE LUXE.

That is indeed correct.  Thomas McGuane only directed "92 in the Shade".