[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS Version # - How does my program find out?

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (09/04/89)

I have an interesting question. How does one find out, from a
program, the version number of ProDOS 8 it is running under?

Just curious. ;)
--
*->           Mark A. Holtz           <=>  AppleLink PE: Mark Holtz  <-*
*->       7943 Sungarden Drive        <=>       GEnie: M.HOLTZ       <-*

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/05/89)

In article <1795@sactoh0.UUCP> mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>I have an interesting question. How does one find out, from a
>program, the version number of ProDOS 8 it is running under?

You can't find out in the same terms the user sees--you can't get a
version number like "1.1.1" or "1.8".

What you can do is look at location $BFFF (called KVERSION, for Kernal
Version, I think).  For ProDOS 8 1.8 the value is 8 (as I just determined
experimentally).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (09/12/89)

In article <1795@sactoh0.UUCP> mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>I have an interesting question. How does one find out, from a
>program, the version number of ProDOS 8 it is running under?

The version number is stored at $BFFF on the ProDOS global page;
0 = v1.0.1,v1.0.2
4 = v1.4
8 = v1.8
etc.

Also, the minimum compatible version is stored in $BFFE;
The system program (e.g. BASIC.SYSTEM) is supposed to store its version
number at $BFFD and the minimum version of ProDOS it needs at $BFFC.

--
Doug Reeder                         USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Institute of Knowledge, Jinx        BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET