[comp.sys.apple] Roses are red ....

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (09/08/89)

Are there any developers out there interested in how to implement a full
4096 color paint program for the GS?

Are there any progs that currently have this feature?

The implementation is fairly simple and could be added to existing progs
with little processing overhead and 32K - 128K of translation tables ...

Anyone from DPaint II or GS Paint interested in details of how to do ...

Let me know if so, John Mac
--
Internet: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
UUCP:     uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (09/11/89)

In article <229@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>Are there any developers out there interested in how to implement a full
>4096 color paint program for the GS?
>
>Are there any progs that currently have this feature?

Is this possible without color placement restrictions?  There are a number of
graphics programs and demos which get by the 16 color barrier by playing with
the Scanline Control Bytes.

For Paint programs, there is Paint256 1.4 and Bud Gehr's CheapPaint 1.4.
These are 256 color paint programs which allow you to work on screen format
$C1 graphic files.  They support 16 separate palletes and allow you to assign
them to particular scan lines.  CheapPaint 1.4 is still shareware (US$10),
while Paint256 is offered on a kind of trial basis without documentation
(~US$50).

Jason Harper of SHRConvert fame wrote FillMaze, which uses fill mode and
multiple palettes to make a really nifty 3-D maze demo.  Really stunning!

John Brooks, author of many nicely done games, did a 3200 color picture
viewer.  Many of the pictures were converted from Amiga Hold and Modify
picture, which are capable of displaying 4096 colors with some color placement
restrictions.  I think he changed the palettes on the fly without using the
scanline interrupts...the AppleLink Art & Graphics Forum Leader, Scott Gentry,
knows for sure.  Many of these picture exhibit color artifacts, but some of
them (like the VGA Eagle) came out rather well.  I haven't seen the conversion
routines themselves around.

>The implementation is fairly simple and could be added to existing progs
>with little processing overhead and 32K - 128K of translation tables ...
>
>Anyone from DPaint II or GS Paint interested in details of how to do ...

Although I'm not with those guys, I'd like to hear how you would do it!  Make
those Amiga and VGA dudes sweat a little :-)

Dave Seah |  ** Twinkie & Banana Club - MA **  |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/11/89)

In article <3927@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>Although I'm not with those guys, I'd like to hear how you would do it!  Make
>those Amiga and VGA dudes sweat a little :-)

"sweat a little?" >:-|

--
| John Dutka         | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu |  more than 34 feet."                                |

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (09/12/89)

specifically how to interpret them for printing.

I don't suppose anyone knows Jason Harper's address?

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609        checks to me.

blochowi@rt19.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (09/12/89)

In article <229@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:

>Are there any developers out there interested in how to implement a full
>4096 color paint program for the GS?
	I'm sure there are...
>Are there any progs that currently have this feature?
	No.
>The implementation is fairly simple and could be added to existing progs
>with little processing overhead and 32K - 128K of translation tables ...
	What an interesting concept...
>Anyone from DPaint II or GS Paint interested in details of how to do ...

	The closest thing is John Brooks' 3200 color pictures. According to
him, because the gs' video generation circuitry "grabs" the value of the color
palette at the beginning of a line, and doesn't get a new one until the
scan-line is finished. Because each palette contains 16 colors, and there are
200 scan lines, we have a max # of colors of 16*200 = 3200. I've seen the code
that he uses, and I don't see how anything could be any faster, and it takes
all the processor time.
	I do believe that there are paint programs that let you deal with 256
colors simultaneously, which is certainly an easy trick...
	So, why don't yet let everyone in on your secret?

>Let me know if so, John Mac
>--
>Internet: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
>UUCP:     uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072
>Snail:    Tower Technology
>	  31-33 Sirius Rd, Lane Cove, NSW 2066, Australia.

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (09/12/89)

> John Brooks, author of many nicely done games, did a 3200 color picture
> viewer.  Many of the pictures were converted from Amiga Hold and Modify
> picture which are capable of displaying 4096 colors with some color placement
> restrictions.  I think he changed the palettes on the fly without using the
> scanline interrupts..the AppleLink Art & Graphics Forum Leader, Scott Gentry,
> knows for sure.  Many of these picture exhibit color artifacts, but some of
> them (like the VGA Eagle) came out rather well. I haven't seen the conversion
> routines themselves around.

I called John up and talked to him a bit about his conversions.  From what I
remember, I think he was converting either ICB or TARGA images directly in
many cases.  Some of the images were from Amiga HAM images.  The Eagle image
is not a VGA image but an (at that time) AT&T ICB or TARGA image.  The ICB
image was a resolution of 256x256x32,768 with the TARGA image displaying a
512x512x32,768.  I say at the time because TrueVision now owns/markets the
line of AT&T image boards.

> Dave Seah

> |  ** Twinkie & Banana Club - MA **  |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
> |    "Manco Duck is a registered     |    AlinkPE: AFC DaveS
> |      trademark of Manco, Inc"      |     Bitnet: dseah@wpi.bitnet

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/12/89)

> I don't suppose anyone knows Jason Harper's address?

It is in the shareware notice in the SHRConvert program.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!