[comp.sys.apple] What does this mean?

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (09/13/89)

In a message #4245 infoapple/net@pro-generic (19-aug-89), Richard Ewing
writes:

>For those of you who seem disappointed in this upgrade of the GS, let me
>remind you that Apple never promised anything like the fabled GS+ model
>that has been floating around the bulletin boards for over a year. How you

These rumours represent wishful thinking. It seems that while "other"
companies are scrambling to improve the performance of their machines, Apple's
attitude with respect to the IIgs has been much more... relaxed, and that's
why people begin to start a wish list of their own.

>For all of you who complain
>that there's no built in SCSI, or improved CPU speed, or other things,
>well all these things are available third party or by us as options.

Sure sounds to me like "let's be the worst we can get away with" rather than
"let's be the best we can be".  If there was built-in SCSI, or improved CPU
speed (or other things), there would still be a market for options by Apple or
third parties

>\And properly configured, I can have a low cost multimedia workstation
>for less than half the cost of a similarly configured mac solution

Perhaps. But can we get the same price structure? And, maybe half the price,
but half the power? I don't think so.

>(or other systems for that matter, maybe save the Amiga). When I sit
>down to my machine, I first think "color Mac Plus". Then I notice the

Not so. How about a garden variety compatible? Apple may not consider those,
but businesses and schools' view is not quite so narrowminded.  And my
machine, which cost more than a Mac Plus, does not make ME think of "colour
Mac Plus". (No one else I know thinks "Colour Mac Plus" either...)

ProLine: sb@pro-generic
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sb

Send all letter bombs (eg. an explosive control-G) to above address.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com