[comp.sys.apple] space char in file names

dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) (09/08/89)

stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com (Stowe Keller) writes:
>re: allowing lowercase-period = space chr in ProDOS filenames
>
>        I can think of a good reason not to allow spaces in ProDOS filenames:
>it would screw up all the existing command line shells for ProDOS which use
>the space chr as a delimiter between multiple filenames, option switches, etc.
>
>                        Stowe

>Stowe Keller                            Author of ProDOS8 LIST utility
>CompuServe: 71540,725       GEnie: SKELLER       BIX: stowekeller
>UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller
>ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller@nosc.mil
>INET: stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com

I wrote a reply to the originaly poster with something like that.. You can do
it, but people would be confused with it.. Suppose you have three files with
the names..

one
two
one two

And then you type 'compress one two'. This will compress files one and two, to
compress file one two, you'd have to type 'compress "one two"', and that would
probably confuse many a people. Especially since no other OS that works with a
command shell has spaces in files names (ie. messy-dos & Unix.. ) I could be
wrong about messy-dos, since I've never used it..

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                        ALPE: DougMac
INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                    GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/09/89)

In article <991@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
[snip]
>                                Especially since no other OS that works with a
>command shell has spaces in files names (ie. messy-dos & Unix.. ) I could be
>wrong about messy-dos, since I've never used it..

You are right about MS-DOS, but wrong about UNIX.

Try the line
% touch "foo bar"
under BSD...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/09/89)

In article <991@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>probably confuse many a people. Especially since no other OS that works with a
>command shell has spaces in files names (ie. messy-dos & Unix.. ) I could be
>wrong about messy-dos, since I've never used it..

You're definitely wrong about UNIX.  It allows spaces in file names.
And you're right about it confusing many people..

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/09/89)

In article <991@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>[...] Especially since no other OS that works with a
>command shell has spaces in files names (ie. messy-dos & Unix.. ) [...]

Gee...what about HFS and AppleShare?  (Have you ever used MPW?)

For that matter, what about Apple II DOS 3.3?  No problem there--it simply uses
commas (rather than blanks) as separators.

Actually, I'm on a Unix machine right now.  I never tried putting a blank
in a filename before, but I just did:  works great!  (mkdir 'x y', for
example.)

>UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                      ALPE: DougMac
>INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                 GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (09/12/89)

In article <991@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com (Stowe Keller) writes:
>>re: allowing lowercase-period = space chr in ProDOS filenames
>Especially since no other OS that works with a
>command shell has spaces in files names (ie. messy-dos & Unix.. ) I could be
>wrong about messy-dos, since I've never used it..

Wrong...Unix *does* allow the use of a space character (and *any* other
character as well...the literal, '\', can precede any character which
the command shell might mistake for another purpose...therefore, '\ '
can specify a space (and '\\' a backslash, and '\0' a NULl character)
Command shells could be fixed slightly to comply with this standard...
(they have to be changed anyway to accomodate lower-case...)

Les Barstow (back at school)
--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/13/89)

In article <1227@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:
>In article <991@orbit.UUCP> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>
>Wrong...Unix *does* allow the use of a space character (and *any* other
>character as well...the literal, '\', can precede any character which

Try that with a '/'...  the local Apollo cluster uses (I think) a double
slash to indicate a specific machine; that has the nasty affect of breaking
some programs...

I didn't really appreciate APW until I used MS-DOS command.com for a while.
Ack.  I think that the added complexity of some shell meta-characters would
do APW some good, though.

--

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/13/89)

In article <1227@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:
>Wrong...Unix *does* allow the use of a space character (and *any* other
>character as well...the literal, '\', can precede any character which
>the command shell might mistake for another purpose...

We're not talking about how to type things at a shell, but about what
filenames are permitted in the file system itself.  On UNIX, any
characters not including "/" and the null byte are allowed in directory
entries, up to the maximum supported length (14 on older systems).
UNIX files themselves need not have directory entries (i.e. names),
although they most often do.

The reason "/" is excluded is that the file system code interprets
it as a path segment delimiter.  The null byte is excluded because
of the general UNIX/C convention for representing character strings.