[comp.sys.apple] Ultima V

ULMO031@FRORS12.BITNET (02/11/88)

Having completed Ultima I, II, III and IV, I am wondering : does
Ultima V exist ?
Will it be for Apple IIe, or only IIGS (and maybe Mac, why not ?)
If someone has any information, please write.

Alain Raynaud
Bitnet : <ULMO031.@FRORS12.BITNET>

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WILLIAMS MICHAEL SCOTT) (02/12/88)

In article <8802101142.ah17267@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> ULMO031@FRORS12.BITNET writes:
>Having completed Ultima I, II, III and IV, I am wondering : does
>Ultima V exist ?
>Will it be for Apple IIe, or only IIGS (and maybe Mac, why not ?)

Don't know on which machines, but it is being advertised.  I have seen it
mail order for about two months now, *however* this doesn't necessarily
imply that it IS ready for purchase, for I haven't yet seen it in a store,
and mail order companies (from what i hear) sometimes like to jump the gun.

-remo

..{nbires,hao,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm
BIT: WILLIAMS@COLORADO.EDU
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303

jwp7996@ritcv.UUCP (James W W Putnam) (02/12/88)

> Having completed Ultima I, II, III and IV, I am wondering : does
> Ultima V exist ?
> Will it be for Apple IIe, or only IIGS (and maybe Mac, why not ?)
> If someone has any information, please write.

 Yes, there is an Ultima V. It is called "The Destiny Knight" and it is
supposed to be available for the Apple II sequence sometime this month.
List Price: $60.00.  I do not have any information about availability on
the IIGS or Mac.

mkao@pnet01.cts.COM (Mike Kao) (02/16/88)

It WAS due to be released October 15th of LAST YEAR. And now I hear that it
won't be out until this April. I got that info from Software Discounters of
America, who have Ultima V backordered for me. I can't wait!

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

greg@engr.uky.edu (Greg Henderson) (02/17/88)

In article <8802160256.AA01462@crash.cts.com> pnet01!mkao@nosc.MIL writes:
>It WAS due to be released October 15th of LAST YEAR. And now I hear that it
>won't be out until this April. I got that info from Software Discounters of
>America, who have Ultima V backordered for me. I can't wait!

I have a friend of mine who supposidly already has it.. Hmm.. time to
go find out where and if he actually got it.

Greg Henderson

"The secret of my success is that at an early age I discovered I was not God."
                   -\-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.-/-
-----------------=================================CSNET: greg@engr.uky.csnet===
- Greg Henderson =INTERNET: greg@engr.uky.edu ====UUCP: cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!greg=

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (02/19/88)

In article <8802160256.AA01462@crash.cts.com>, mkao@pnet01.cts.COM (Mike Kao) writes:
> It WAS due to be released October 15th of LAST YEAR. And now I hear that it
> won't be out until this April. I got that info from Software Discounters of
> America, who have Ultima V backordered for me. I can't wait!
>                                                                   -- Mike Kao

Well, I have heard that the dates have slipped several times due to bugs that
have been found during testing.  Like Mike said, the original date was
mid-October, then they said January '88, then that passed,  then they said
mid-March....Now, it is looking like late April.....  Hang in there folks!
Richard Garriott is no slouch and has always seemed to astound the Apple world
with his incredibly life-like games.  This one should be quite a bit better
with 6 to 8 sides (Last I heard it was 6 but they were pushing limits),
uses double Hi-res graphics (sorry II+ and Franklin users, you are outta luck
on this one...get a //e!), and is supposed to be the most real Ultima yet.....

][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][
][                                         !rutgers!moss \                 ][
][ Later Days -=> Daniel Vachon <=-        !ucbvax!ihnp4  > !drutx!dvac    ][
][                                          !mtune!ihnp4 /                 ][
][ "This project is so secret, even                                        ][
][    I don't know what I'm doing!"             Apple ][ Forever           ][
][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (02/20/88)

In article <8802101142.ah17267@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, ULMO031@FRORS12.BITNET writes:
> Having completed Ultima I, II, III and IV, I am wondering : does
> Ultima V exist ?
> Will it be for Apple IIe, or only IIGS (and maybe Mac, why not ?)
> If someone has any information, please write.

Since Ultima V was written here in Austin by Origin, I contacted a friend
who works there, who had this to offer:

=======================================

From:MAX. DARK PENDRAGON
Date:02-17-88
Time:1913

Yes, Ultima V exists.  If you are interested, 2 of the 4 disks (a total of 8
sides) have gone into production as of today (2-16-88).  The other two should
follow shortly.

The apple version will be available within about 2 weeks.
The commodore and IBM versions are well under way and should be available
 by early to mid summer.
The Mac version has been begun, but no available date, as it is still in early
 stages.
The GS version is also under way, and should, likewise, be available around
 early to mid summer.

That's the scoop...  other machines may be supported, but I have no information
on them at present.

Max

=======================================

The last I heard, he was the one who might be heading the GS version, but that
info is at least a few months old.

					--chris

      /---------------------------------v------------------------------\
     (    J. Chris Cooley 		|[mailpaths under construction])
    ((    Univ. of Texas Comp. Center	|     jcc@ut-emx.UUCP        	))
    ((    Austin, TX  78712		|     jcc@emx.cc.utexas.edu  	))
     (    512/471-3241 x417		|	            		)
      \---------------------------------^------------------------------/
	\Disclaimer: UT only likes Macs; they don't have // opinions./
	  \--------------------------------------------------------/

mkao@crash.cts.com (Mike Kao) (03/02/88)

Does anyone have any concrete info on when this will finally be released?

I can't wait!!!!

--

cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (04/01/88)

> How about some reviews of Ultima V?  I'd love to hear about it.  Does it
> support the Mockingboard, perhaps GS sound drivers, and what are the
> graphics like?
>
> Dave Seah - Worcester Polytechnic Institute

It's a real beauty, and is well worth the wait.  It supports Mockingboards
(we've tried it with up to two at once, I don't remember if it claims to be
able to handle more than that) and also lets you use a MIDI controller to play
the music on an outboard MIDI-comapatible synth.  Doesn't have any GS-specific
sound routines, though -- they're saving that for the GS-specific version
which should be out . . . uhm . . . whenever they put it out.  You know how
Origin is.

The graphics are beautiful.  LB is finally using page-flipping, so the screen
updates are quick and smooth (very noticable on large expanses of ocean), and
the colors are really nice for single-hires.  He's using a lot more tiles so
the maps (especially coastlines and rivers and such) look a lot smoother.

Gameplay is a lot nicer in a lot of ways, and it's really tantalizing.  I'm
dying to see what the dungeons are like!  I don't own it -- my friend does --
and I'm sorely tempted to drop the $45 it costs around here to get my own copy.

Disappointments?  Well, just one actually.  The free Codex that comes in the
package is just cheap aluminum.  Other than that?  Not a one...

Lazlo Nibble (cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu)

saponara@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Saponara) (04/05/88)

In article <2656@charon.unm.edu> cs2531bn@unmc.UUCP (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
>> How about some reviews of Ultima V?  I'd love to hear about it.  Does it
>> support the Mockingboard, perhaps GS sound drivers, and what are the
>> graphics like?
>>
>> Dave Seah - Worcester Polytechnic Institute
>
>It's a real beauty, and is well worth the wait.

I agree!  Truly amazing gem of a game, so far.  Graphics a lot like Ultima IV
(mostly the same map), but many more types of terrain (for example, walking on
the ramparts of a castle, looking through the crenellations and arrow slits,
not to mention seeing gargoyles and cannon, is a wonderful graphics experience).
Characters from Ultima IV transfer into this game, in fact.

The world has a great feel to it: people come and go according to their own
schedules (everyone goes to a few meals a day, guards change shifts at certain
times, people sleep, etc).  I've barely scratched the surface, but this game
looks fantastic.  Also, you can save anywhere, even in dungeons (I guess enough
people complained about Ultima's IV lack of this feature).  Day and night
occur, and at night you will sometimes see lighthouses cyclically lighting the
nearby terrain.  Monsters can hide in terrain, so you won't necessarily see
them even if you're right next to them.  I won't even begin to describe the
rest of the new things: simply imagine a greatly improved Ultima IV and you're
part of the way there.  8 disk sides, which means a ton of conversation and
fighting ahead.  Enjoy!

Eric (not John Saponara) Haines

kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (04/05/88)

In article <2656@charon.unm.edu> cs2531bn@unmc.UUCP (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
> How about some reviews of Ultima V?  I'd love to hear about it.  Does it
> support the Mockingboard, perhaps GS sound drivers, and what are the
> graphics like?

From what I remember, the game supports mockingboards, the ae phasor, a midi
interface, but I didn't see the //gs sound option (didn't see it and I remember
reading something about the maximum number of voices,etc.. but its all fuzzy
right now).

As for the game itself, its amazing, its almost a prerequest to finish Ultima
IV before starting on U5, only because the map is almost exactly the same as
the U4 game, and if you start out fresh in U5, you have to complete the quest
to become the Avatar, or you can transfer your old U4 character over to U5.
Only complaints are that you go through so much food so quickly, real quick,
in fact, its one of the major problems with big groups (more food eaten up).
other than that, its real interesting game.

--
	Bob Kusumoto                         |           Follow me!
Internet: kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu           | I'll play the game you want me,

buyse@convex.UUCP (04/07/88)

Perhaps you could disable the voltage supplied by one of the IIgs's to
the keyboard...?  Or modify the keyboard so that it does not pass through
the voltage it receives from both ends..?

Probably the latter if at all, since keyboards can be had separately (and
much more cheaply than CPU's).

-Russell Buyse.

UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse

hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) (04/07/88)

In article <3879@sphinx.uchicago.edu> kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

>As for the game itself, its amazing, its almost a prerequest to finish Ultima
>IV before starting on U5, only because the map is almost exactly the same as
>the U4 game, and if you start out fresh in U5, you have to complete the quest
>to become the Avatar, or you can transfer your old U4 character over to U5.

Not true, at least in my experience. I've created several trial
characters and they've all been listed as "level 2 avatars."
I *would* however recommend getting the list of shrines, runes,
mantras, etc. from Ultima IV (CompuServe games forum has one)
if you haven't played Ultima IV.
>Only complaints are that you go through so much food so quickly, real quick,
>in fact, its one of the major problems with big groups (more food eaten up).
>other than that, its real interesting game.

Yes, this is a problem. The documentation mentions "markets" where you
can get food, but they seem to be few and far between. Taverns and
restaurants don't have food "to go." You can harvest some food from
ploughed fields in towns, though, with the G)et command.

General advice (note that I'm just beginning). Do lots of S)earching.
Don't steal from ordinary citizens' bedrooms and closets (I think this
loses you "goodness" points--presumably stealing from guards is OK,
though.) Experiment with the "push" command--you can push items of
furniture around. Not sure how effective this can be, but it might
be possible to push something in front of oncoming guards.

It *is* a great game. I find the grinding of disk drive on startup
(due to copy protection, I assume) somewhat disconcerting. I wish
they would drop Copy Protection in favor of a code wheel.

One question: earlier interviews with Lord British suggested that
spell research was possible (combining power syllables in various
combination and presumably finding the right mixture of reagents).
Has anyone had any luck creating a spell not on the official list?
This feature would be great if it exists.

--
The opinions expressed are my own, but you're welcome to share them.
Harry Henderson (freelance technical editor/writer).

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (04/14/88)

IN article <5611@well.UUCP>, hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) wrote:
> You can harvest some food from
> ploughed fields in towns, though, with the G)et command.

This is not such a good idea: those fields belong to one of the farmers, and
the crops belong to them.

> General advice (note that I'm just beginning). Do lots of S)earching.
> Don't steal from ordinary citizens' bedrooms and closets (I think this
> loses you "goodness" points--presumably stealing from guards is OK,
> though.)

Don't "get" things that belong to other people.  Searching is OK, although
it probably shouldn't have been for things like private residences.  "search"
on a guard is OK, though "get" makes little sense.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!uastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("I dunno. Do you?") (09/15/89)

     Does anyone know of a way to install Ultima V on a hard disk?  The game
comes with four double-sided 5.25" disks.  One side is the protected startup
disk, and all 7 other sides are ProDOS disks full of files, completely un0
protected.
     What I need is a way to make the game look at a hard drive for folders
names after the disks.  If the startup disk is just a tweaked DOS (possibly
ProDOS) does anyone know of a way to convert it?
     Thanks for any help.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
    ALPE:        ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |============================
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."