[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS & multiple file systems

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/15/89)

In article <11055@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>[...]
>Apple failed to inform us in advance of the change in file naming;
>if they'd stuck with / separators instead of switching to : for
>general FST use, assuming the FSTs are doing their job existing
>programs would have already supported them.

GS/OS separator handling has been documented ever since the first
APDA draft of the GS/OS reference.

Actually, a lot of programs *do* work with AppleShare under GS/OS, even
if they were written in the ProDOS 16 days.  I bet a lot of them will
work fine with any future FSTs, too.  Anything that uses Standard File
is in pretty good shape, file-system-independence-wise.

>The whole POINT of FSTs
>is to provide a uniform application interface to a variety of file
>system types.  Applications are not supposed to have to do ANYthing
>to "keep in mind" any particular FST.

I agree--and they do a pretty good job.  The problem is that lots of
GS/OS programmers come from a ProDOS 8 & ProDOS 16 background, and
they have to weed out all the old assumptions from their thinking--
limited character sets, 15-character-max filenames, being able to
read block 2 and get various information about a ProDOS volume, etc.
(There's a GS/OS Technical Note pointing out things not to assume.)

Here's an example of a case where an application probably deserves
more help from FSTs than it can currently get.  The user wants to
copy a folder from AppleShare to ProDOS.  ProDOS has stricter naming
requirements, so it's possible for the folder or some of its contents
to have names that aren't valid in the target file system.

So what does the app do when it gets error $40 (invalid pathname
syntax) from a Create call?  It probably (1) prompts the user for a
good filename or (2) invents a good name using rules for specific
file systems, or some combination of those.

Are there systems out there that deal with this sort of problem
nicely?
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.