[comp.sys.apple] Can someone explain XYZMODEM, Please?

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (09/12/89)

I hate to display my ignorance, but I would like to know more precisely
what is XMODEM, YMODEM, (?RMODEM?,) and ZMODEM?  I currently use Xmodem
and/or Ymodem for down-loading files.  Can someone please tell me what are
the differences, advantages/disadvantages, and reasons for choosing one
over the other?  Also if there is one "more useful" than another for
down-loading specific files types, (Text files, Bin files, GIF files (to
be run through SHRConvert), Exec files, etc.)

The difficulty I had recently was: I down-loaded about a dozen GIF files
(using Xmodem) from a local BBS, and SHRConvert could not process a single
one!  I had just down-loaded SHRConvert(v2.1) so I thought maybe I had a
bad copy of it, but I got the same results when I got another copy.
SHRConvert looks like a neat program and as soon as I get it working, I
intend to send in the shareware fee (not to say my problems are with it,
but if I can't use it, why keep it?).
Right now I don't really know if my problem is being caused by: file types,
modem s/w (I'm using FreeTerm), conversion types, or h/w (2400 baud Zoom
modem).  I tried running each file through each of the options (640/320,
calc. palette/default palette/gray scale, and changing the "convert to" file
type).  I even tried redown-loading some of the GIF files two days later,
but same results.  The error I get isn't helpful at all.  It says, "I'm
having trouble reading the file .... Error $$$$ (unknown cause)".  So,
I'm assuming that I have messed up somehow in either the way I down-loaded
or in the ()MODEM formatt I used.

					Any Ideas out there???

Thanks in advance.
B-)  Phil

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/15/89)

In article <631@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
>The difficulty I had recently was: I down-loaded about a dozen GIF files
>(using Xmodem) from a local BBS, and SHRConvert could not process a single
>one!

SHRConvert (v2.1) is able to display genuine GIF images, so the problem
must be that the files were not proper GIF files.  If the BBS you got
them from is primarily Macintosh-oriented, perhaps there is extra
garbage on the front of the file that you need to remove.  This seems
to be a common affliction in the Mac world.  The first few characters
of a GIF file should be "GIF87a" in ASCII followed by binary gobbledook.

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (09/16/89)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>In article <631@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
>>The difficulty I had recently was: I down-loaded about a dozen GIF files
>>(using Xmodem) from a local BBS, and SHRConvert could not process a single
>>one!

>SHRConvert (v2.1) is able to display genuine GIF images, so the problem
>must be that the files were not proper GIF files.  If the BBS you got
>them from is primarily Macintosh-oriented, perhaps there is extra
>garbage on the front of the file that you need to remove.  This seems
>to be a common affliction in the Mac world.  The first few characters
>of a GIF file should be "GIF87a" in ASCII followed by binary gobbledook.

Mac boards generally allow you to select if you want MacBinary or not.
If you are receiving the file in MacBinary format, then there will
be extra char in front of the file as said.  To get rid of those
characters, use "Mac Down".  I don't have full info on that software,
maybe someone on the net can explain more.
To get rid of the extra chars, you can also BLOAD the file in RAM
then save the part without the MacBinary info.

Also, check the specifics of protocol you are using.

Lastly, make sure you have no defective RAM and the drive is good.

Andy

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (09/16/89)

Concerning that comment about gif's, I am using IIGIF (since my //e can't handl
e SHRconvert)  How do I convert my SHR and DHR into GIF's, or is that not reaso
nable (since they would not be as good as Mac pictures) Please xplain this to m
e.  Also, still looking for help on my message a few back!!!!