[comp.sys.apple] Nucleus

gt0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gregory Ross Thompson) (09/09/89)

Wow.   Wow.   Wow.

  That's undoubtedly the best thing ever produced for the GS.  My
compliments to the progamers.

  About that Xenocide Crack....  It's a month or two old, and it does
work.  I've tried it.  I haven't tried the cheat, but
I suppose I will.  It takes far to long to get to something I haven't
seen before.  I`m one bomb away from destroying the second moon, and it
takes a LONG time to get there from the beginning.  Oh well...

  Wow. That demo rocks...

SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET (Psychedelia) (09/10/89)

    Would someone mind telling me what Nucleus is, and how I might go about
    getting it?  Is it available on pay services, or can I get it from the
    network!!  I'm desperate to know what this is now that I have heard
    so many vague ravings about its greatness.

                                                  Sean P. LeCrone
                                                  SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET

On Sat, 9 Sep 89 22:28:00 CST you said:
>    Would someone mind telling me what Nucleus is...
>            ...I'm desperate to know what this is now that I have heard
>    so many vague ravings about its greatness.

I saw Nucleus at our Club meeting Friday night.  Nice graphics and sound,
boots 800K into memory with impressive speed.  It didn't seem all THAT
impressive -- seems to me I've seen better on an Amiga, but since I didn't
have the opportunity to observe them side-by-side (and the Amiga demo I
recall was a Loonnnnggg time back), maybe not.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (09/11/89)

I really enjoyed Nucleus (what there was of it).

From what I understand, it was done by some French programmers.  The French
are really into programming the GS; it's amazing what has come out.

Another disk that's currently going around is something called Star Wizard.
It is also French, and  looks something like the beginning of a game.  Equally
as impressive as Nucleus.

It looks like these guys sit around and do this for fun.  Maybe that's the
difference...

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (09/12/89)

Just out of curiousity, what is the memory requirement for the nucleus demo on
the comp.binary.apple program?  I am running a meg on my gs, and when I
downloaded the demo, binscii'd it and unshrunk it ot it's own disk, and tried
to bbot it, I got a "Not Enough memory to load NUCLEUS . DEAD" message,
complete with the spaces between " NUCEUS . DEAD ".  Is it me, or does teh demo
have a problem?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (09/12/89)

I have the nucleus demo, but unfortunately, I don't have the
programs Binscii and Shrinkit to unpack it.  Where can I get
those, or could some kind soul send them to me?  It's been a
couple of years since I've had access to the net, and Binary
II was popular then.  What is better/different about
Binscii and Shrinkit?

Many Thanks,
Ray Rankins
rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
<insert standard disclaimer here>

delton@pro-exchange.cts.com (Don Elton) (09/13/89)

Comment to message from: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Murph Sewall)

>boots 800K into memory

Actually, more like 200K into memory.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/14/89)

Has anyone seen Nucleus in Transwarp GS mode?  I'm tempted to rip the transwarp
out of my New IIgs and put it in an older one just to see what will happen.
Is it worth the trouble?

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blochowi@rt3.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (09/14/89)

In article <34707@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>Has anyone seen Nucleus in Transwarp GS mode?  I'm tempted to rip the transwarp
>out of my New IIgs and put it in an older one just to see what will happen.
>Is it worth the trouble?

	No, it's not - it's a little bit smoother, but not by any great amount.
Also, it locks up when running in fast mode - the music still goes on, but it
refuses to accept keyboard input (for awhile I thought it might be my flaky
keyboard, but Ctrl-OA-Reset still works, so it's not the keyboard), and the
graphics stop moving. When I set the TWgs to "Normal" (2.8Mhz) and rebooted,
the demo worked perfectly. I don't understand exactly why this is happening
(not having disassembled the thing ;), but I do have old (v1.2) TWgs ROMs, if
that makes a difference.
	As for the demo itself: Yep, it's pretty nice - perhaps I'm not quite
as impressed as I could be, though, because I saw things like this for the
Atari ST years ago... (Hey, no flames, I know that Nucleus is more technically
impressive - they don't have an 8Mhz 68000 to put to work)

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (09/15/89)

Has anyone seen any docs for nucleus?

One thing I noticed was that the TAB key (or maybe OA-tab) could slow
down the demo after repeated presses...couldn't find something that
would speed it up afterwards as well...

Is there a key that turns OFF auto-mode when it is on?
Brendan Gallagher Hoar          Carnegie Mellon University
Apartment 517                   Mellon College of Science
4614 Fifth Avenue               INET:  bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, PA  15213           (412) 268-8958

shankar@damavand.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (09/15/89)

In article <34707@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>Has anyone seen Nucleus in Transwarp GS mode?  I'm tempted to rip the transwarp
>out of my New IIgs and put it in an older one just to see what will happen.
>Is it worth the trouble?

Yes, it works perfectly on the old GS in TWGS full speed (6.25M) mode.
As far as "is it worth it", I don't know since I haven't tried it in non-TWGS
mode.

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (09/15/89)

Here are some comments I can add about the Nucleus demo:

First, it doesn't go through the smartport "firmware" it goes to the
hardware.  You know, $C0EC kind of stuff.

As for incompatibility problems, the French programming style is to
blame for that.  The words 'tool sets' must be foreign to them, with
'Memory Manager' a total mystery.  Here's how they grab memory--in bank
$11, they store some data at $0000-$00ff--and if shows up correctly when
they read it in, then the demo runs!

Therefore, you need to have 1.25Megs of memory (even though I don't
think it uses at all--they seem to have rounded up to the nearest
value).

I would bet that this non-GS style trick of theirs is causing the ROM 3
problems--because on the boot of a ROM 01 computer, the only memory used
by the system is in the very top of bank $11 (in a 1.25 meg machine).
If ROM 3 tries to reserve memory in lower memory (say, a locked & fixed
segment which seems to always be placed in the LOWEST possible bank)
could cause the problems.

As for problems loading from the disk--They merely do what the firmware
does to read the disk, only they do it all 'on-the-fly'.  That is, like
cache programs, they read the entire track in one revolution.

And right now I'd like to flame the guy who designed the format for data
within a 3.5" disk block--having three checksums for every third byte
seems to extreme overkill--and makes writing read routines more
complicated.

Also, instead of just EORing the bytes together to create a checksum, it
also performs an addition (EOR then an ADC, or maybe it's reversed).
I've got plenty of literature around that cites that as being the worst
checksum you can form--simpling ADC all the bytes or EOR'ing them is
much safer (though we're talking like the difference between 99.9% and
99.95% accuracy here).

And I don't think that the three checksums helps much at all either.

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (09/15/89)

>Has anyone seen Nucleus in Transwarp GS mode?

Yep, it looks the same as in non-TWGS mode.  Apparently, it is written to
ignore the transwarp completely.

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (09/15/89)

In article <19904@gryphon.COM> lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>>Has anyone seen Nucleus in Transwarp GS mode?
>

>Yep, it looks the same as in non-TWGS mode.  Apparently, it is written to
>ignore the transwarp completely.
>

>UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
>INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

  press control-openapple-option-?-2 and see what happens.  On my computer
  it gives a flashing message that says "Transwarp Speed Failure" or something
  like that.  I REALLY want to know more about Nucleus with the Transwarp (not
  that it needs the transwarp, it's fast enough already).

	Collin

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (09/17/89)

Robert MacAusland asks: why does Nucleus take 1.5 meg to run if it only
takes up 200K on the disk?

I'd suspect that there might be some packed data on the disk.  And, also,
a LOT of memory might be used for graphics screens, tables, and so on;
these wouldn't be loaded from disk.

/\    Jerry Kindall    | JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL   | GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

The answer that evades our brains, we only think we're wearing chains
                                                  -- Utopia

[ Moving soon to pro-tcc.cts.com ]

mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.cts.com (Mark Lensenmayer) (09/17/89)

Network Comment: to #75 by phoenix!kadickey@princeton.edu