[comp.sys.apple] PC-Transporter info

ch1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Chris Helferty) (09/17/89)

I've been thinking about an IBM compatible (for help with after hours
work, mind ya!) and I keep seeing those adds for Applied Engineering's
PC-Transporter board.  I was wondering if some souls out there could
give me some information on just how good/bad are they:

	o  What's the theory behind this board?  I mean, is it
essentially just a miniaturized PC motherboard cutting off my Apple's
motherboard or does it really use some components of my Apple's
motherboard to do its work?

	o  How are peripherals handled?  Will it find my printer card
and internal modem?

	o  Does this thing even work?  Is it really compatible?

	o  How fast is it?

	o  How is the display?  Text and graphics.

	o  Very important and confusing for what I've read:  What is
the deal on disk drives?  I think I can use my duodisk to read/write
ibm on Prodos, but then, of course, I can't pop these disks into
any other computer.  Or can I use my duodisk drives as IBM drives?  If
not, do I have to buy the drives offered to go with the board or can
I use any third party ibm drives?  How 'bout the Unidisk? (i think
i might be able to grab onto one of those from somebody)

	o  How is the Ram in Apple mode?  Does it make an easy Ram disk
or extend the memory of the Apple or does it give problems?

	o  How is the larger keyboard of an IBM handled (on a IIe)?
Should I buy an ibm keyboard or is a third party keyboard good?

	o  Are you happy with the one you have?  Was it a good buy?  Or
should I just look towards a true compatible?  From AE's sales pitch
for drives, coprossessors, and keyboards for the thing, I might as well
by a whole new computer.  But I can't really afford that.  If I can
buy a board for $350 - $400 to make my Apple go IBM blue every once in
a while, I'd be happy.  *I don't want to buy keyboards, disk drives, etc.
for the thing.  That, to me, defeats the purpose.*

	o  Any other comments, info?

Thanks,

Jon Pearsall
NASA Industrial Applications Center
Univerity of Pittsburgh

buchho@studsys.mu.edu (buchho) (09/18/89)

In article <19597@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ch1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jon M. Pearsall) writes:

>        o  How are peripherals handled?  Will it find my printer card
>and internal modem?

Current peripherals work as they would on an IBM XT.  It will find the
printer card and internal modem.  There is a set up utility that will
handle it all.  It'll even use your Apple's mouse (if you have one) as
a MicroSoft Mouse.

>        o  Does this thing even work?  Is it really compatible?

This was the part I couldn't believe.  Yes, it does work, as long as
you use programs that don't go over it's memory requirements (max 640k)
and as long as it'll run on an XT.

>        o  How fast is it?

Approximately three times as fast as an XT.

>        o  How is the display?  Text and graphics.

The display is a normal IBM CGA display.  The text characters and graphics
"quality" (Ack, hate CGA) are the same.

>        o  Very important and confusing for what I've read:  What is
>the deal on disk drives?  I think I can use my duodisk to read/write
>ibnidisk? (i think
>i might be able to grab onto one of those from somebody)

Okay, here's the deal on disk drives.  To boot MS-DOS 5.25" disks, you
will need to get one of their 5.25" drives that they sell with the PC-T.
Your DuoDisks and UniDisks will not work.  However, Apple 3.5" drives are
capable of reading MS-DOS 3.5" format, and you should have no problems
there.  You can create a MS-DOS directory on a hard drive, and you can
also use the 5.25" Apple format disks as storage devices, although they
will not be compatable with MS-DOS, and will contain significantly less
information.  Up to four devices can be chained from the PC-T itself.

>        o  How is the Ram in Apple mode?  Does it make an easy Ram disk
>or extend the memory of the Apple or does it give problems?

The RAM in Apple mode is basically in the form of a Ramdrive.  I haven't
seen any expanders yet that will allow you to use this for, say
AppleWorks, for instance.

>        o  How is the larger keyboard of an IBM handled (on a IIe)?
>Should I buy an ibm keyboard or is a third party keyboard good?

The other keyboard presses on the IIe are handled by Open and Closed
Apple keypresses, but of course you miss out on the keypad...

>        o  Are you happy with the one you have?  Was it a good buy?  Or
>should I just look towards a true compatible?  From AE's sales pitch
>for drives, coprossessors, and keyboards for the thing, I might as well
>by a whole new computer.  But I can't really afford that.  If I can
>buy a board for $350 - $400 to make my Apple go IBM blue every once in
>a while, I'd be happy.  *I don't want to buy keyboards, disk drives, etc.
>for the thing.  That, to me, defeats the purpose.*

Me, I don't have one.  I did spend an awful lot of time playing around
with one and testing it when it came out two years ago (or so).  But,
since the technology with MS-DOS computers has far exceeded the capa-
bilities of the PC-T, I'm planning on getting a '386 machine, at least
25 Mhz, etc., etc.  If you plan on doing just normal-type stuff that
can be done on a XT with CGA, then go for the PC-T.  You will need at
least one of their MSDOS drives.  In any case, go to your local dealer
and request one set up for you to "test drive."

Jake Buchholz
| Jake Buchholz         | "You mean I've got to make one of these things   |
| buchho@studsys.mu.edu |  too?"                                           |