[comp.sys.apple] AWGS and System 5.0

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (09/14/89)

AWGS does work under System 5.  It is not 100% though.  There are some
compatability problems (anyone from Claris is welcome to name specific
things to watch out for).   I have been running it for about three
weeks and haven't found any bugs under System 5 that didn't also
appear under System 4.

Seymour

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/14/89)

You haven't been using AWGS with an Appleshare server yet.  Accessing
files from the custom dialog box of AWGS causes weird file name
problems with servers, and will sometime not even acknowledge the
server's existence online.  *Running* it from a file server
is even worse, as many *unpredictable* events can occur.  We pray
for an upgrade soon.  Otherwise, its a real nice package with 5.0.

And while I'm at it, this is a plea in behalf of my end users.  Those
of you who develop programs out there, *please* think about all
the senarios that your users may be operating under.  If you preprocess
file names for ProDOS erros, then you will be incompatible with
the Appleshare FST (or any others for that matter--no this is NOT
an announcement!). Your user may have booted diskless off a file server,
so if a program saves configuration info in the system folder (or worse,
if an NDA or CDA does the same thing), then the next user who accesses
that program off the server may be asking for trouble.  Think before
you code!  Your users will appreciate the effort.

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (09/16/89)

Network Comment: to #9994 by elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu

CS-ID: #9994.apple.ii/info-apple@pro-colony 306 chars
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 03:16:19 CST
From: elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)
Subject: Re: AWGS and System 5.0

AWGS does work under System 5.  It is not 100% though.  There are some
compatability problems (anyone from Claris is welcome to name specific
things to watch out for).   I have been running it for about three
weeks and haven't found any bugs under System 5 that didn't also
appear under System 4.

Seymour

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (09/16/89)

Network Comment: to #9994 by elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu

> From: elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)
> Subject: Re: AWGS and System 5.0
>
> AWGS does work under System 5.  It is not 100% though.  There are some
> compatability problems (anyone from Claris is welcome to name specific
> things to watch out for).   I have been running it for about three
> weeks and haven't found any bugs under System 5 that didn't also
> appear under System 4.
>
> Seymour

So where is the compatibility problem?  If the *same* problems show up under
both SysDisk 4.0 & 5.0 then there isn't a comptibility problem, rather it may
just be a bug in the program.

Dale

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET (Psychedelia) (09/19/89)

   I have used Appleworks GS repeatedly with the System Disk 5.0... and it
   will ALWAYS crash when I go to print something.  Everytime, no matter
   what I do -- the screen goofs up and prints crud, the printer goofs up,
   and finally the whole computer barfs and dies.  It works fine with 4.0
   though.  I called Claris and they said it was not not compatible with the
   new 5.0, and there is no word on an update.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (09/19/89)

From article <8909161059.AA27347@trout.nosc.mil>, by dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator):
> Network Comment: to #9994 by elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu
>
>> From: elbereth.rutgers.edu!joseph@rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)
>> Subject: Re: AWGS and System 5.0
>>
>> AWGS does work under System 5.  It is not 100% though.  There are some
>> compatability problems (anyone from Claris is welcome to name specific
>> things to watch out for).   I have been running it for about three
>> weeks and haven't found any bugs under System 5 that didn't also
>> appear under System 4.
>>
>> Seymour
>>

> So where is the compatibility problem?  If the *same* problems show up under
> both SysDisk 4.0 & 5.0 then there isn't a comptibility problem, rather it may
> just be a bug in the program.
By far the biggest incompatibility is working with AppleShare.  AWGS Open
dialog gets real confused when all of those devices are online.  All
of the other standard file dialogs don't work too well when the pathname
is longer than 64 characters either.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.