[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIgs capability

charles@ncelvax.UUCP (Charles R. Lindsey Jr.) (09/02/89)

So far I have gotten a wealth of information concerning
whether an Apple IIGS can be beefed up to be a "color Mac", at
least a Mac SE.  Thanks to everyone who replied, your info
easily confirmed what I had suspected.  The shocked look of
dismay on the face of the salesman, when I asked about the
IIGS, was a practiced look to steer to the more profitable Mac
area of the store.  I have nothing against Macs, but the
expense coupled with the lack of color [my 7 year old could be
unimpressed quite easily] makes the IIGS the way to go for
me.  Besides, I would much rather not do a lot of number crunching
at home beyond balancing the checkbook, I do too much at
work.

Accounting, basic databases, some graphics work, a few games,
and educational software for my son.  Hardly the requirements
for the mega-investment the Mac II requires.

But, I have one final question, the salesman, attempting to
press home the 'obvious' mac advantage, stated the the
operating system is noway near as good as the Mac's.  That
applications, a number of them anyway, can not be launched by
clicking the folder.  Is this true, or is this more smoke?

--
 charles@ncelvax.uucp ___          Charles Lindsey
                                   Naval Civil Engineering Lab

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/02/89)

In article <474@ncelvax.UUCP> charles@ncelvax.UUCP (Charles R. Lindsey Jr.) writes:
>[...] the salesman, attempting to
>press home the 'obvious' mac advantage, stated the the
>operating system is noway near as good as the Mac's.  That
>applications, a number of them anyway, can not be launched by
>clicking the folder.  Is this true, or is this more smoke?

The operating system and toolbox are really nice; but that's probably
not what your dealer was talking about.  The operating system is
something that only programmers need to deal with when they're writing
applications.

From the user's point of view, things are still pretty nice.

Double-clicking on a *folder* in the Finder never launches anything--it opens
up the folder (the GS works the same as the Macintosh in this respect).
Double-clicking on an Application icon launches the application--no problem
there.

Double-clicking on a *document* icon on the Macintosh almost always launches
the application that created that document, on the Macintosh.

The Apple IIgs Finder allows applications to work that way, too--but some of
them don't take advantage of it.  You can still launch the application and
then Open the document from inside the application.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (09/03/89)

In article <474@ncelvax.UUCP> charles@ncelvax.UUCP (Charles R. Lindsey Jr.) writes:
Blah, Blah Blah...  <STUFF DELETED>
>But, I have one final question, the salesman, attempting to
>press home the 'obvious' mac advantage, stated the the
>operating system is noway near as good as the Mac's.  That
>applications, a number of them anyway, can not be launched by
>clicking the folder.  Is this true, or is this more smoke?

Its more smoke.  Ive had a gs for quite some time now, and I cant say the
finder has never let me *NOT* launch a program by clicking on it :)
Seriously though, yes.  The gs finder work exactly like the finder on a mac
does.  You just click on what you want to run.

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/03/89)

In article <474@ncelvax.UUCP> charles@ncelvax.UUCP (Charles R. Lindsey Jr.) writes:
>That applications, a number of them anyway, can not be launched by
>clicking the folder.  Is this true, or is this more smoke?

Not by clicking a folder containing them, but rather by clicking on the
icon representing the actual executable file.  You can arrange a large
number of these as residing directly on the desktop, to avoid having to
thread your way through a hierarchy of folders before you can invoke
them.  I find that over 95% of the time I click on such a "global" icon
to launch the application.  You can also configure classes of files,
using name patterns, types, and auxiliary types, so that clicking on a
file icon for that class will fire up a DIFFERENT application with that
file provided as input.  For example, to edit an icon file I just click
on it and an icon editor application starts up, with the particular icon
file already open.

The Mac may have some advantages, but the IIGS Finder environment is not
far behind in functionality.

Your salesman may get bigger commissions on Mac sales than on GS sales.

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/03/89)

}..............................You can also configure classes of files,
}using name patterns, types, and auxiliary types, so that clicking on a
}file icon for that class will fire up a DIFFERENT application with that
}file provided as input.  For example, to edit an icon file I just click
}on it and an icon editor application starts up, with the particular icon
}file already open.

Where can I get more information on doing this.  I've had an icon for an
application indicate the use of basic launcher to run he program but in my
searching thorough the scads of documentation, haven't found an
description of what you're describing.

/Chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/03/89)

/* Written 12:24 pm  Sep  2, 1989 by nuwilken@ndsuvax in tippy:apple */
>The gs finder work exactly like the finder on a mac does.

It is similar, but not exactly like the Mac finder.  Now if Apple will
just release a 10 MHz GS w/4 megs standard and a MultiFinder...  :-)

 |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
 |   Disclaimer:                                           |
 |     If you think I'm serious, that's your problem!      |
 |_________________________________________________________|

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/04/89)

In article <756@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>}..............................You can also configure classes of files,
>}using name patterns, types, and auxiliary types, so that clicking on a
>}file icon for that class will fire up a DIFFERENT application with that
>}file provided as input.  For example, to edit an icon file I just click
>}on it and an icon editor application starts up, with the particular icon
>}file already open.
>Where can I get more information on doing this.  I've had an icon for an
>application indicate the use of basic launcher to run he program but in my
>searching thorough the scads of documentation, haven't found an
>description of what you're describing.

I forget how I found out.  Certainly not in that laughable manual
that comes with the GS/OS package.  Perhaps it was in a ProDOS-16
or GS/OS Reference Manual draft from APDA.  Anyway, what you do is
fire up an icon editor (several are available from information
services now), create an icon file of your own, and in the
auxiliary (i.e. non-graphic) information associated with an icon
specify the information I mentioned above.  The Finder will use
that information to display the appropriate icon (assuming you
put the icon file in the ICONS folder in the root directory of the
disk) and to determine what application to launch when you double-
click on the icon.  Use existing icons as a guide, for example the
ones for the BAS file type (which invoke BASIC.LAUNCHER to handle
the double-clicked BASIC program) located in FINDER.ICONS.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (09/07/89)

There is a great deal of software that, either doesn't have a normal
directory (copy protected) to show in the finder, or runs from hacked
or old systems with special tools that won't run right from the
standard Finder.  So it is not true that everything simply launches
from the Finder.

It is not true on the Mac either.  There are older, and copy protected
programs there too that have to be booted from their own disks and
that use their own launcher/interface.

It is closer to true for the Mac, as copy protection there is less
accepted as a norm than on the Apple II.    Also on the Apple II there
is that great bunch of older software that predates the IIGS that may
not even be in ProDOS format.

I think all the availalbe older software for the Apple II actually
presents more options for the purchaser and shouldn't be counted
against it.   If you want software that launches from the finder you
can definitely find it.

Seymour

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (09/21/89)

Network Comment: to #4565 by ncelvax!charles@trout.nosc.mil

It's more smoke.The GS is great for home use. I have tried to interest
my kids(3&4) with every possible Mac(including a IIcx).Except for a few
hypercard programs which are pretty nice the lack of color programs is a
real interest killer.
By the way, do you know how many pixels the GS color monitor has? Also,is
there a communications' package which will work over AppleTalk between a
GS and a Mac?