[comp.sys.apple] 80-col probs.

XC60039@PORTLAND.BITNET (Douglas Howell) (09/21/89)

    I have Wizardry for the ][+ and was hoping it would work on my ][e.
But when I boot up the game it calls up my Ramworks II card for some reason.
The manual that I have only displays the game's menu's as uppercase 40-col
display, so I'm confused as to why the video card is called.  When it calls
the video card, upon boot, it goes thru a series of operations.  By the time
it gets to bringing up the first menu, the characters are spaced out to fit
the screen. So it kind of looks like this: M E N U.  Although this isn't awful,
 I think the probs the game is having with Ramwork's 80-col display is also
having an effect on accessing and retrieving player characters.
     Does anyone know of any patches or anything I can do in order to use the
game on my ][e.  I'd rather not have to pull cards everytime I feel the urge
to go adventuring.

Doug Howell    Xc60039@Portland.Bitnet    University of Southern Maine

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley The Troll ) (09/21/89)

XC60039@PORTLAND.BITNET (Douglas Howell) writes:

>    I have Wizardry for the ][+ and was hoping it would work on my ][e.
>But when I boot up the game it calls up my Ramworks II card for some reason.
>The manual that I have only displays the game's menu's as uppercase 40-col
>display, so I'm confused as to why the video card is called.  ...
>                            ... like this: M E N U.  ...

Wizardry uses the Apple Pascal operating system, which will automatically
initialize any 80-column card it finds in slot 3.  The wizardry program itself
doesn't use the PPascal I/O routines, though; it writes directly to the 40-col
text screen, which means that every other character will be blank.

>Doug Howell    Xc60039@Portland.Bitnet    University of Southern Maine

- John

      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | If two wrongs don't make a right,
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        | try three...

mwedel@hobbes.uucp (Mark Wedel) (09/21/89)

In article <8909201559.aa04865@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> XC60039@PORTLAND.BITNET (Douglas Howell) writes:

>    I have Wizardry for the ][+ and was hoping it would work on my ][e.
>But when I boot up the game it calls up my Ramworks II card for some reason.
>The manual that I have only displays the game's menu's as uppercase 40-col
>display, so I'm confused as to why the video card is called.  When it calls
>the video card, upon boot, it goes thru a series of operations.  By the time
>it gets to bringing up the first menu, the characters are spaced out to fit
>the screen. So it kind of looks like this: M E N U.  Although this isn't awful,
> I think the probs the game is having with Ramwork's 80-col display is also
>having an effect on accessing and retrieving player characters.

  I have the same problem on my //e (With apple extended 80 col card), but
I can get my characters.

 The reason it activates the 80 column card is because it is in pascal, and
when pascal boots up, it scans the slots (if you have more than 1 drive, you
will notice that it is scanned also, and the printer may do a little movement.
Unfortunately, I don't think pascal knows the proper way to turn of the 80
column card (I know for apply, you are supposed to do something like esc q.)
I think pascal tries something similiar to pr#0.

 The reason it doesn't use the lowercase is that when it first came out, that
was the time of the ][+'s, where you didn't have it.  I know that at least
Wizardry 3 used graphic screens for its text, thereby giving lowercase.

 I don't think I ever found a solution to the 80 column problem, but since I
spent most of the game in the dungeon, it was tolerable. (dungeon also used
the graphic screen.)

Mark Wedel

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (09/21/89)

<<
<
<  I have the same problem on my //e (With apple extended 80 col card), but
<I can get my characters.
<
< The reason it activates the 80 column card is because it is in pascal, and
<when pascal boots up, it scans the slots (if you have more than 1 drive, you
<will notice that it is scanned also, and the printer may do a little movement.
<Unfortunately, I don't think pascal knows the proper way to turn of the 80
<column card (I know for apply, you are supposed to do something like esc q.)
<I think pascal tries something similiar to pr#0.

Way back when I cracked Wizardry (gosh, that took a while!) I found
the routine that searches for (or at least activates) the 80 col card.
I took it out of my copy, as popping into 80 cols was mighty annoying.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten *all* the details of that crack (it took
me about a month) and I can't begin to remember where the code was
that turned on the 80 cols. All I can suggest is that it's in 6502
code (as opposed to P-code), and a certain amount of diligence should
allow you to trace down the routine and wipe it out.

Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."