[comp.sys.apple] Interrupt switch

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/22/89)

In article <127500045@tippy> emerrill@tippy.uucp writes:

>/* Written  9:02 pm  Sep 14, 1989 by TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET in tippy:apple */
>>Yes...It's me again.  One quick question....Is there a AT code to put
>>interupst for my DAtalink1200/2400 modem.  What would happen if I used
>>a card with the interups active in a program that dosen't need it?  I am
>>not very fond of opening up my computer 3 times a day to change the
>>interrupts......
>
>Just leave the interrupts activated full time.  I also have a DataLink
>2400--never even messed with the dip switches once!  I just stuck it in
>my IIgs and started up...

That makes sense - most serial I/O chips have programmable settings for
interrupts.  The 6850 ACIA on the ancient Apple Comm Card does, and I'm
sure that most other cards do too.  The switch can only prevent
interrupts by disconnecting the signal, but just because it is connected
doesn't cause interrupts.  Any software which doesn't use interrupts
should not program the serial chip to generate them.  Well, I said
shouldn't, but there might be some program that does (I wouldn't know
why).  Also, the Apple keyboard RESET line is usually connected to the
serial chip through the Apple bus, so even if you run software which uses
interrupts, it crashes, and then you run software which DOESN'T use
interrupts, you should be able to return the serial chip settings to the
powerup default by pressing RESET (i.e. powering off should not be
necessary).

My point is that you should be able to enable interrupts and never touch
the card again, if the software is written correctly and the serial chip
has programmable interrupt enable.  I'm basing this on my knowledge of a
few popular serial chips, does anyone know if there are Apple cards that
use serial chips which DON'T have programmable interrupts? (yuck)

BTW, the AT codes are just ASCII sequences which a modem understands as
commands.  The serial chip which is transmitting these codes to the modem
through RS-232 (or on board) does not pay attention to what it is
transmitting (i.e. you can't disable serial chip interrupts with an AT
code).  The modem cannot change the mode of the serial chip, this must be
done by writing command bytes to the serial chip command address.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP