[comp.sys.apple] System disk 5.0 quirk

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) (05/26/89)

Was playing around with system disk 5.0 and found that indeed you can rename a
file to another set of upper/lower case and have it work under GS/OS.  The bad
news though is that if you rename the wrong files your disk won't boot.  i.e.
START or x.SYSTEM or x.SYS16 has to stay all upper case or the system won't
come up except with an error message saying it can't find a START, x.SYSTEM,
or x.SYS16.  Would seem that this quirk is one we could do without.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/27/89)

In article <8905252340.AA18186@obsolete.UUCP> delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) writes:
>Was playing around with system disk 5.0 and found that indeed you can rename a
>file to another set of upper/lower case and have it work under GS/OS.  The bad
>news though is that if you rename the wrong files your disk won't boot.  i.e.
>START or x.SYSTEM or x.SYS16 has to stay all upper case or the system won't
>come up except with an error message saying it can't find a START, x.SYSTEM,
>or x.SYS16.  Would seem that this quirk is one we could do without.

	We already found and fixed that bug.

Cary Farrier

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (05/27/89)

In article <8905252340.AA18186@obsolete.UUCP> delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (Don Elton) writes:
>Was playing around with system disk 5.0 and found that indeed you can rename a
>file to another set of upper/lower case and have it work under GS/OS.  The bad
>news though is that if you rename the wrong files your disk won't boot.  i.e.
>START or x.SYSTEM or x.SYS16 has to stay all upper case or the system won't
>come up except with an error message saying it can't find a START, x.SYSTEM,
>or x.SYS16.  Would seem that this quirk is one we could do without.

This was true on some previous beta versions of System Disk 5.0.  Beta software
has a whole lot of quirks we can do without.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/19/89)

I ran into a wierd problem the other evening and I have seen this problem
once or twice before.  I selected a bunch of files in a folder (about 20)
to be deleted and dragged them to the trash can.  Upon doing this the
trash can dissappeared!  The name was there but the picture was GONE! The
files were deleted and it wasn't until I ran an aplication and came back
to the desk top that the trash can was restored.
/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/22/89)

In article <829@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I ran into a wierd problem the other evening and I have seen this problem
>once or twice before.  I selected a bunch of files in a folder (about 20)
>to be deleted and dragged them to the trash can.  Upon doing this the
>trash can dissappeared!  The name was there but the picture was GONE! The
>files were deleted and it wasn't until I ran an aplication and came back
>to the desk top that the trash can was restored.
>/chris

Have you done anything weird to your Finder.Icons or Finder.Icons.x files?
That could explain it.  You shouldn't add icons to or remove icons from
those files, and you shouldn't have any trash-can icons in any *other*
icon files.
--

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/22/89)

>>trash can dissappeared!  The name was there but the picture was GONE! The
>
>Have you done anything weird to your Finder.Icons or Finder.Icons.x files?
>That could explain it.  You shouldn't add icons to or remove icons from

The answer is no.  I have been very careful NOT to touch the finder ICON
folders. I however do have some other icon files, but these are for AWGS,
MSGS etc.

Another observation is that I am coming to the conclusion that with GS/OS
V3.0 that 1.25 meg is marginal for many applications.  When I run into
problems with a particular program, DeluxePaint II, DiskTimer V2, AWGS,
SHRconvert, etc and inquire on this net about the problems.  Those that
respond saying that the program works for them, usually have > 1.25Meg
of memory.  I have 0RAM , NO NDA's. (other than the Control Panel), ran
the memory diagnostics until my kids declared war and kicked me off the
machine....

Regards, Chris