[comp.sys.apple] Telecomm Program of the Gods

S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) (09/06/89)

    Sent: 09/05/89 19:07  Rcvd: 09/05/89 19:31  Number: 1
      To: garcon!uxa.cso.uiuc                     From: JEFFREY SORTE

          .edu!jb10320@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
 Subject: Re: Telecomm Program of the Gods

    Finally, someone is going to write a decent comm program for the Apple!
I have considered doing this myself, but my time is limited and I would
want to do it right if I did it at all.  Anyways, I will try to summarize
my idea of the perfect comm program.  Keep in mind, that most of these
items will be compared to ProTERM, since that is what I have used for along
time, and it is the best thing currently available (IMHO).

o   I love the scrollback, BUT....like the editor, you should be able to
    load files directly into it, as well as be able to configure the size
    of the editor and the scrollback.  (I now have a 45k editor and a 1460k
    scrollback...ridiculous..).  Also, the save feature of the scrollback
    should use normal TXT or APW file format, rather than something wierd
    that nothing else can read.

o   Script files, rather than mere macros.  We want some power out of our
    automated features, something we can really use!  Ever used ProCOMM for
    the PC?  I think this is the most important area of a telecomm program
    today.  Without a good "script language" you will just have another
    ProTERM on your hands (so to speak).

o   Most of the current features of ProTERM I really like and use
    quite often, here is a list of must haves:
        - Type disk files
        - View copy buffer
        - Show connect time
        - Send BREAK signal
        - DOS commands
        - OA 1-8 macros (still handy!)
        - Toggle on/off-line
        - Terminal emulations
        - Auto-logon macros (could be implemented in scripts, w/learn)
        - Unlimited dialing directories (nested is nice too!)

    Well, I have rattle off a few things off the top of my head, but
you can be sure I will think of more (now that I have someone to tell)
I wish you good luck on your project (quite an undertaking) and if you
need some beta testers in the near future I would be more than happy
to assist!

JR Sorte
s825177@uwec.bitnet

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (09/11/89)

Network Comment: to #2427 by S825177%UWEC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

I think one of the single most important features of a new term program for
the Apple would be the ability to add external transfer protocols much like
you can do with Qmodem or ProComm for the IBM.

For that matter, it would also be nice to be able to load in terminal
emulation modules instead of being stuck with hard coded emulations.

I believe that having a running log of calls to each system and other
accounting information for the calls you make with the term would be a plus
and should be handled in some sort of database method.

Since all new GS's are being shipped with 1meg ram, I think you should
seriously consider writing the program to work in this new ram environment.
Something where the program can check available ram and give you some options
on what you want to load if you are low on mem.

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

lee@TIS.COM (Theodore Lee) (09/11/89)

Add to the list of what everyone else has said (kermit, VT220, conditional
macros) the ability to run concurrently with other applications; I assume
the only way to do that would be as an NDA that didn't terminate --
I don't know if that is possible.  I'd like to be able to switch back and
forth (even cut and paste) between the telecomm program and WordPerfect
or even a programming enviroment like Pascal.  Most importatn would be
the ability to start up a kermit transfer and than go back to editing or
printing or whatever while the kermit transfer continued.  I guess what
I really want is some kind of true multi-window applicaitons environemnt
for the GS rather than the one now that only looks like it is one -- you
can have many different windows open doing different things, but only
if you have an integrated application; you can't integrate (operate
concurrently) different applications.

lee@TIS.COM

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (09/12/89)

Comment to message from: lee@tis.com (Theodore Lee)

| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com * My son is a Georgia Tech freshman |
| I work for Xerox Corporation for decent  bucks but dream of Palto Alto RC |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/13/89)

In article <8909121038.AA17528@trout.nosc.mil> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>Network Comment: to #2427 by S825177%UWEC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>
>I think one of the single most important features of a new term program for
>the Apple would be the ability to add external transfer protocols much like
>you can do with Qmodem or ProComm for the IBM.

That's why I was pushing for somebody to develop rz/sz under APW or ORCA C...
we could have a comm program running under ECP 16, then just execute rz or
sz with appropriate arguments to do file transfers...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (09/22/89)

Network Comment: to #5072 by bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com

How about a tektronics' emulation mode,as well as the capability of
working over AppleTalk?Transparent support of Kermit.

           Philip
philip@utstat.toronto.edu  or as above.