[comp.sys.apple] Question about Comp.sys.apple2

peterbak@microsoft.UUCP (Peter Bako) (09/22/89)

I recently downloaded a couple of files from Comp.Sys.Apple2.
All the files start with a "Call-151", a short binary program
and a bunch of numbers.  The instructions for the file were to
simply EXEC them, and the file will unpack, and save an unpacked
version automatically.  However when I EXEC'd it, all I get is a
number of beeps periodically, and nothing is saved.

My question is, am I doing something wrong, and if yes what is it.
Did I somehow mess the file up, and scramble some stuff in it?

My first guess was that the line lenghts were too long, and the \
input buffer was rejecting some of the stuff, but when I looked at
the file with a word pro, they were all about 80 chars long, which
is way below the max limit.

I'm exec-ing the files under standard Dos 3.3, on an unenhanced 128K
Apple //e.  I would appreciate any help, however if possible please
mail me instead of posting here.  Unfortunately I do not get to read
this group on a regular basis...

Peter

--
(*)-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-\/-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+(*)
(   UUCP:         peterbak@microsoft  ||   Is this all that I am?  Is there   )

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/22/89)

In article <7801@microsoft.UUCP> peterbak@microsoft.UUCP (Peter Bako) writes:
>However when I EXEC'd it, all I get is a
>number of beeps periodically, and nothing is saved.

I seem to recall that when this happened to me, the problem was
that the files contained line-feeds instead of carriage-returns,
or something like that.  If you have a IIGS, there is a utility
called "The Fixer" available on many BBSes that can straighten
that out.

The way to EXEC a text file under ProDOS is via the "-" command.

On Thu, 21 Sep 89 18:18:38 GMT you said:
>and a bunch of numbers.  The instructions for the file were to
>simply EXEC them, and the file will unpack, and save an unpacked
>version automatically.  However when I EXEC'd it, all I get is a
>number of beeps periodically, and nothing is saved.
>
>I'm exec-ing the files under standard Dos 3.3, on an unenhanced 128K

The files are in Executioner format and should be EXEC'd under --> ProDOS <--

I expect you won't be out of the woods yet because even under DOS 3.3
you should end up with a 'B' file (won't run under DOS 3.3, but the
EXEC *usually* gets that far).

There are a few things (besides line feeds instead of carriage returns)
that the Executioner doesn't like -- the most likely culprit is blanks,
nulls, or some other 'pad' character at the ends of the lines or linefeed
in addition to carriage return for line ends.  You are likely to get the
former if you download 'fixed length record' files; you commonly get the
latter using Xmodem (or a variant) instead of Kermit.  There are utilities
which fix either condition, but the Catch 22 is they too are available in
Executioner format.  If there's a local user group around, they are likely
to have a utility for purging unwanted linefeeds in their public domain
library.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could