[comp.sys.apple] Transfers

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (09/16/89)

I just recently figured out how to do transfers from the apple2-L library, and
files that are EXEC'ed are easy because they do the work themselves.  However,
i found a file that starts FILESTARTFILESTART inn upper and lower case letterin
g.  Do I have to make the downloaded file a BIN, SYS, or some other type and un
pack it with BLU shrinkit, or anything else???/ HELP!!  Also,. how would I uplo
ad a file? Do I have to make it TXT? Please help

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (09/17/89)

You need BinSCII.  I think version 1.0.3 is the latest.  Something like that.
It's a really simple program, and it'll solve all yer problems.  It seems to me
it's in EXECutioner format on Apple2-l.

Osiris

On Fri, 15 Sep 89 13:49:58 EDT you said:
>I just recently figured out how to do transfers from the apple2-L library, and
>files that are EXEC'ed are easy because they do the work themselves.  However,
>i found a file that starts FILESTARTFILESTART inn upper and lower case letterin
>g.  Do I have to make the downloaded file a BIN, SYS, or some other type and un
>pack it with BLU shrinkit, or anything else???

Since you are right there, it would be a good idea to ask Chris Chung
<Chris@BrownVM> (owner of APPLE2-L :-)

The file with FiLe at the beginning is a BinSCII'd file (Binary turned into
ASCII).  You'll find BinSCII in the APPLE2-L library (both in BinSCII and
Executioner format, use XEDIT to pick off the EXEC'able version and download
just that).

Your host is an EBCDIC computer but the Internet (and UUCP etc.) are ASCII.
Even some ASCII (text) characters get munged in the gateways translating
between EBCDIC and ASCII much less Binary (no change at all).  Use BinSCII
to translate BIN, SYS, and anything that's not TXT into an ASCII file
before you upload it to BrownVM.

I'd think it would be a good idea to determine locally that you have the
process under control (by downloading and recovering the original file
yourself) before you post anything for World-wide (literally) distribution).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/18/89)

> I just recently figured out how to do transfers from the apple2-L library, and
> files that are EXEC'ed are easy because they do the work themselves.  However,
> i found a file that starts FILESTARTFILESTART inn upper and lower case letteri
> g.  Do I have to make the downloaded file a BIN, SYS, or some other type and u
> pack it with BLU shrinkit, or anything else???/ HELP!!  Also,. how would I upl
> ad a file? Do I have to make it TXT? Please help

You need BinSCII to unpack your file.  ShrinkIt is probably the best
program for packing a file for uploading.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (09/22/89)

Basically, my question is, I have been downloading from Apple2-L.  How
do I access (if at all) the comp.sys.apple(2) libraries, or am I doing
so already?  Secondly, if I have listserv at my mainframe recieve a file
from me, does everyone on this mailing list receive it?? Later, dudes.

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/22/89)

> Basically, my question is, I have been downloading from Apple2-L.  How
> do I access (if at all) the comp.sys.apple(2) libraries, or am I doing
> so already?

As I understand it, they are theoretically mirror immages of one
another.  I say theoretically because there may be a slight lag
between the time a file is available at one location versus the
other.

On Thu, 21 Sep 89 19:24:08 EDT you said:
>Basically, my question is, I have been downloading from Apple2-L.  How
>do I access (if at all) the comp.sys.apple(2) libraries, or am I doing

Same files (eventually, the cross-over's manual -- all volunteer force).

It's comp.binaries.apple2 (programs should NOT be posted to comp.sys.apple
even if it's source code <Pascal or otherwise>).  Try not to confuse the
two folks, some subscribers to comp.sys.apple have space limits on the
size messsages they can received.

BrownVM does not have access to USENET (so you can't get comp.whatever
directly).

>so already?  Secondly, if I have listserv at my mainframe recieve a file
              ^^^^^^^^ <-- althougth 'secondly' is in third rate dictionaries,
                           'second' is sufficient
>from me, does everyone on this mailing list receive it?? Later, dudes.

APPLE2-L is an edited list (means you can't send programs to the list
directly).