[comp.sys.apple] GS keyboard problems

hackman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Otto "Hack-Man" Heuer) (09/15/89)

I've had some problems with one of the connectors on my GS keyboard.  If I
have the keyboard plug plugged in on the left and the mouse on the right, the
keyboard works but the mouse doesn't (sometimes it will move *very* slowly if
I fiddle with the connection).  If I plug the mouse in on the left, neither
the mouse nor the keyboard works.  I had someone (who knows what he's doing,
generally) open up the keyboard and he added some solder to something.  This
fixed the problem for about 8 months.  Now the same thing is happening again,
but the same solution didn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone else had problems with their
keyboards?  I like the layout of the GS keyboard (much better than the older
Apples and also better than all PCs and clones I've worked on), but if the
connections get hosed this easily I might look for a third party keyboard (not
that there are too many of these).

Thanks in advance for any help.

                      --Otto
--
OO O  OO   OO  OO  O OO   O  OO  OO  O|UUCP|amdahl!bungia!orbit!pnet51!hackman
OO O OO O OO O OO O  OOO OO OO O OO  O|INET|hackman@pnet51.cts.com

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (09/15/89)

On Thu, 14 Sep 89 18:05:04 GMT Otto Hack-Man Heuer said:
>I've had some problems with one of the connectors on my GS keyboard.  If I
>have the keyboard plug plugged in on the left and the mouse on the right, the
>keyboard works but the mouse doesn't (sometimes it will move *very* slowly if
>I fiddle with the connection).  If I plug the mouse in on the left, neither
>the mouse nor the keyboard works.  I had someone (who knows what he's doing,
>
>                      --Otto

Hmmmm... very interesting.  I have the EXACT same problem.  I took the
keyboard into my dealer (what a joke) and they said that they'd have to
send it off to Apple so Apple could 'replace' it with a new one.  The
really interesting part is that it will cost me as much as it did to
fix my 3.5 drive when my roommate managed to crash both r/w heads.
I really feel I'm being ripped off here.  (BTW, the repair man at my
dealer said he's had about 30 keyboards with the same problem from
schools... the future doesn't look too bright).

  -Gonzo

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

c60b2-ar@garnet.berkeley.edu (09/18/89)

In article <8909151122.aa02276@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:
>On Thu, 14 Sep 89 18:05:04 GMT Otto Hack-Man Heuer said:
>>I've had some problems with one of the connectors on my GS keyboard.  If I
>>have the keyboard plug plugged in on the left and the mouse on the right, the
>>keyboard works but the mouse doesn't (sometimes it will move *very* slowly if
>>I fiddle with the connection).  If I plug the mouse in on the left, neither
>>the mouse nor the keyboard works.  I had someone (who knows what he's doing,
>>
>Hmmmm... very interesting.  I have the EXACT same problem.  I took the
>keyboard into my dealer (what a joke) and they said that they'd have to
>send it off to Apple so Apple could 'replace' it with a new one.
>fix my 3.5 drive when my roommate managed to crash both r/w heads.
>(BTW: The repair man at my dealer said he's had about 30 keyboards with
>the same problem from schools... the future doesn't look too bright).

	I used to move my keyboard and mouse quite a bit, and unplugged and
replugged my mouse often.  I had the same thing happen to me.  Luckily, I had bought my GS used, and it was still covered by the store's warrantee.
since they're independent, they don't have to follow Apple's "test and swap"
maintenance procedure, and they fixed the keyboard.  The problem was there was
a broken trace connecting the ADB connector to the keyboard circuit board.  You
can fix it yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron; it will take about
10 minutes.

About the ACS demo:

	Legally, if there isn't the word Copyright, or a circled C (must be a
circle), the software isn't protected by copyright laws and you can do whatever
you want with it.  Morally, it's up to you.

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/19/89)

/* Written  5:19 pm  Sep 17, 1989 by c60b2-ar@garnet.berkeley.edu in tippy:apple */
>Legally, if there isn't the word Copyright, or a circled C (must be a
>circle), the software isn't protected by copyright laws and you can do
>whatever you want with it.  Morally, it's up to you.

Are you 100% sure about this?  The C does not have to be enclosed within
a circle.  I remember reading some case a couple years ago about a program
that displayed a C in an almost complete hexagon, and that was determined
to be sufficient.

 |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
 |   Disclaimer:                                           |
 |     If you think I'm serious, that's your problem!      |
 |_________________________________________________________|

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/19/89)

In article <1989Sep17.221906.6400@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b2-ar@garnet.berkeley.edu () writes:

>About the ACS demo:
>
>	Legally, if there isn't the word Copyright, or a circled C (must be a
>circle), the software isn't protected by copyright laws and you can do whatever
>you want with it.  Morally, it's up to you.

I couldn't find your name in the posting anywhere, but this is the second
time this month that someone has stated the OLD copyright law.  According
to Electronic Musician (who is very concerned for the small independent
software developers in the music/MIDI industry), Reagan signed an act in
October 1988 which changed the copyright laws.  As of March 1, 1989, IT
IS NOW NO LONGER NECESSARY TO PLACE A COPYRIGHT NOTICE ON PUBLICLY
DISTRIBUTED COPIES OF PROTECTED MATERIAL.  As in the old copyright laws,
a copyright takes effect the moment the work is created.

The article goes on to say "As in the past, creators of copyrightable
works are immediately entitled to legal protection for their material on
the date it is created, without doing anything more." ... "Persons who
use material created by others, without checking its copyright status,
risk incurring liability for infringement.  An unauthorized use of
protected material may infringe on one or more of the owner's exclusive
rights.  Unless granted a license, only the copyright owner is entitled
to copy, vary, publicly perform, display, and distribute protected
material."
  "Although use of a notice is not required to obtain copyright
protection or to avoid losing it, owners should continue to place this
notice on their works so they can defeat claims of *innocent*
*infringement*.  This occurs when someone copies, publicly performs, or
otherwise exercises an owner's exclusive right, without authorization,
for a protected work that does *not* feature a notice.  When a claim of
innocent infringement is defeated, the copyright owner can obtain all
available remedies for infringement, including injunctive relief (an
order by the court to do or not do something) and damages, which would
not be possible if a claim of innocent infringement is allowed to
stand."

Go buy the October 1989 Electronic Musician if you'd like to read more.

So much for doing whatever you want with someone else's software!  The
burden is up to the *user*, not the copyright owner, to determine
whether or not the law is being broken.  And there is a little more than
moral pressure to do so!

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (09/21/89)

In article <127500051@tippy> emerrill@tippy.uucp writes:

>Are you 100% sure about this?  The C does not have to be enclosed within
>a circle.  I remember reading some case a couple years ago about a program
>that displayed a C in an almost complete hexagon, and that was determined
>to be sufficient.
> |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |

	Wrong! (c) is not a Copyright symbol. Copyright must be spelled out in
	full or a full circle used. You could use (c)Copyright David C.
	Troup-19889... (I don't know where I saw this, but I remeber that (c)
	is in no way a legal copyright symbol).

	Any developers out there wanna comment?Also, how many of you out there
	are developing software on your school's machine only to find out that
	the school has ownership of your programs (or something like that).
	Though I suppose this is RUMOR only...but something to talk about.

	or: How many people have the AST Digitizer out there and use it for
	vision systems?

	l8r, DCT

--
"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__         _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/23/89)

/* Written 10:07 am  Sep 21, 1989 by dtroup@carroll1 in tippy:apple */
>>Are you 100% sure about this?  The C does not have to be enclosed within
>>a circle.  I remember reading some case a couple years ago about a program
>>that displayed a C in an almost complete hexagon, and that was determined
>>to be sufficient.
>> |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |

>        Wrong! (c) is not a Copyright symbol. Copyright must be spelled out in
>        full or a full circle used. You could use (c)Copyright David C.
>        Troup-19889... (I don't know where I saw this, but I remeber that (c)
>        is in no way a legal copyright symbol).

Where did I say that "(c)" is a valid copyright symbol?  To my knowledge,
it never has been.  What I was referring to was a case where the c was e
enclosed in a hexagon except half of one side was blank...  sorta like:

     _______
    /       \
   /         \
   \         /
    \__     /

The court agreed that this was enough of a circle so that the defendent had
"reasonable cause" to believe he was violating the copyright.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (09/23/89)

Network Comment: to #10770 by gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!marque!carroll1!dtroup@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

->         Wrong! (c) is not a Copyright symbol. Copyright must be spelled
->         full or a full circle used. You could use (c)Copyright David C.
->         Troup-19889... (I don't know where I saw this, but I remeber th
->         is in no way a legal copyright symbol).
->
->         Any developers out there wanna comment?Also, how many of you ou
->         are developing software on your school's machine only to find o
->         the school has ownership of your programs (or something like th
->         Though I suppose this is RUMOR only...but something to talk abo

Well, I thought I read somewhere that (c) was legal on computers which do not
include the true Copyright symbol (a  C inside a circel).... could be I'm
wrong though..

Myself.. I always go the safe route.. "Copyright"..

--Mark Munz