[comp.sys.apple] An ancient Corvus HD...

buchho@studsys.mu.edu (buchho) (09/23/89)

A while ago, I acquired a 12 year old Corvus Hard drive from a friend for free.
Realizing that this would be a cost-effective way for me to add 10 megs to my
system, I went through the trouble of getting a new EPROM for the controller
card so that I could use it with ProDOS.  And all went well from that...
Until...  Every once in a while, the Hard drive would "brown out", that is, it
has a certain pitch (and sounds like a jet engine warming up when you turn it
on) when it is operating correctly; during brown out, that pitch would drop and
the drive was unusuable.  After a week of this, the hard drive refused to go to
"operating pitch" and was in permanent brown out.  Now, another friend found
the problem, which happened to be on the 24 volt section...  Two transistors, a
resistor, and an IC were trashed.  The transistors are no problem to find as
their numbers are still intact, however, the resistor has fried its values off,
and the IC has this nifty little crater in the middle of it (I found the piece,
but the chip itself seems to be archaic).  I guess what I'm asking (after this
long, drawn out story, is how can I find the chip or a suitable replacement?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Subject: Re: Transfers
--
(B)0lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x   Jacob S. Buchholz   x Now comes the tough part...                         x

CHRIS@MSUS1.BITNET (09/25/89)

A while back a message was posted which showed the number for the Corvus Tech
support BBS.  That number is: 488-972-9154.  I've called there and gotton some
help, I can't remember who the person was who posted the messgae, but that
should help

Chris@msus1.bitnet

CHRIS@MSUS1.BITNET (09/25/89)

>that number is: 488-972-9154.

Excuse me, that number should be 408-972-9154.  Sory

Chris