[comp.sys.apple] ProFile

peterd@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Dachnowicz) (08/06/89)

In case anyone out there besides myself owns an older ProFile hard disk from
Apple...Apple has a free upgrade that makes it compatible with Gs/Os.  Just
ask your dealer for the new chip..  Well it made my day..

ProLine: peterd@pro-graphics
         201/469-0049  3/12/2400 bps  24 Hrs.

nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (NICK) (09/15/89)

We have three Apple ProFile hard disk drive that used to connected to a
LISA computer. I was wondering if any one knows what can be done with
these. Is there any way of connecting the to an IBM, Mac, or Apple ][?
(I would prefer to connect it to a Mac, if possible) Thanks!

--
Nick Susch --- University of Rochester                _| _  _|   ___|
                                                     |     |     _|

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/15/89)

In article <3035@ur-cc.UUCP> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (NICK) writes:
>We have three Apple ProFile hard disk drive that used to connected to a
>LISA computer. I was wondering if any one knows what can be done with
>these. Is there any way of connecting the to an IBM, Mac, or Apple ][?

You're probably out of luck (at least without a lot of work) for the IBM
PC and (slotless) Macintosh.  There is an Apple II ProFile interface
card, and the ProFile (assuming you get it properly formatted etc.) does
work fine with the Apple II under ProDOS-8 and GS/OS.  I have one...

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (09/16/89)

In article <11076@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <3035@ur-cc.UUCP> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (NICK) writes:
>>We have three Apple ProFile hard disk drive that used to connected to a
>>LISA computer. I was wondering if any one knows what can be done with
>>these. Is there any way of connecting the to an IBM, Mac, or Apple ][?
>
>You're probably out of luck (at least without a lot of work) for the IBM
>PC and (slotless) Macintosh.  There is an Apple II ProFile interface
>card, and the ProFile (assuming you get it properly formatted etc.) does
>work fine with the Apple II under ProDOS-8 and GS/OS.  I have one...

At one point last year I asked a similar question.  (In fact, I was
referring to the same 3 ProFile drives.)  I'm not at all upset about the
inability to use them with the IBM PC (sorry Nick :-).  I was told then
also that there was a controller for the Apple II.  Is it made by Apple,
or are there others out there?  I was never able to find one.  If someone
can suggest a place that might sell me one, I'd really appreciate it.

--
lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu / CLARKE'S THIRD LAW:
lmo3_ltd@db2.cc.rochester.edu  / Any sufficiently advanced technology is

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (09/16/89)

What about trying SUN REMARKETING? If they are still selling the
Profile drives, then they should still have the controller cards...

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu     or     bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
bsherman@pro-exchange                  MCI Mail:   BSHERMAN

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (09/22/89)

In article <3035@ur-cc.UUCP> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (NICK) writes:
>We have three Apple ProFile hard disk drive that used to connected to a
>LISA computer. I was wondering if any one knows what can be done with
>these. Is there any way of connecting the to an IBM, Mac, or Apple ][?
>(I would prefer to connect it to a Mac, if possible) Thanks!
>
>--
>Nick Susch --- University of Rochester                _| _  _|   ___|
>                                                     |     |     _|
>nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu                    ____| ____| _|

I know that with an internal ramdisk card Appleworks 2.0 mentions a
Profile card.  I believe there is a card specifically designed
to run a profile hard drive on an Apple II series computer, and that
the card is actually made by Apple.

On a side note, when a person has an apple-standard memory card
in slot 5 (mine has 256K) how does one access the memory from
assembler?
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609        checks to me.

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (09/23/89)

In article <3035@ur-cc.UUCP> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (NICK) writes:
|We have three Apple ProFile hard disk drive that used to connected to a
|LISA computer. I was wondering if any one knows what can be done with
|these. Is there any way of connecting the to an IBM, Mac, or Apple ][?
|(I would prefer to connect it to a Mac, if possible) Thanks!

|--
|Nick Susch --- University of Rochester                _| _  _|   ___|
|                                                     |     |     _|
|nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu                    ____| ____| _|

The ProFile hard drive will only work on three computers.  The Apple ///
(which it was designed for), Lisa (for which it was first adapted to),
and the Apple // (which it was adapted to when ProDOS first came out).

To get it to work on an Apple // will require an interface card. One source
of the card is Sun Remarketing (yes, the Apple /// people).  Some dealer may
still have one in stock (My local dealer is one of a chain of 5 in the area,
and I could get the ProFile interface card for the Apple /// thru him if need
be).

Don't have my Sun Remarketing catalog, so I can't quote you a price or address.
I do believe the address is somewhere in/near Logan, Utah.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/26/89)

In article <4150@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>I know that with an internal ramdisk card Appleworks 2.0 mentions a
>Profile card.  I believe there is a card specifically designed
>to run a profile hard drive on an Apple II series computer, and that
>the card is actually made by Apple.

I'm pretty sure that you're right, because the first time I saw a ProFile
it was hooked up to a //e in an Apple dealership.  I remember thinking
that it was annoying because while I was browsing through the monitor the
ProFile would start up AppleWorks if I hit a few carriage returns on
empty lines.  If I had only known at the time what a hard disk could do!

>On a side note, when a person has an apple-standard memory card
>in slot 5 (mine has 256K) how does one access the memory from
>assembler?

I just ordered an unpopulated Apple-compatible memory card through
Computer Direct for $99.95.  I had to call the manufacturer, SMT, for
tech help, and he suggested using ProDOS volume calls.  I think that's
what Apple intended, and it should be more compatible with other cards.
If you really want speed (I'm not sure how much difference it would make)
you could disassemble the ROM drivers - or just check out the Apple II
Memory Expansion Card Reference Manual, which is listed as a beta manual
in the APDA catalog for $20.  The description mentions "technical
enthusiasts who want their application programs to take advantage of the
expanded memory features of the card", but I don't know if this is a
guarantee of specific documentation of soft switch address/functions or
not.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP