[comp.sys.apple] Control panel settings

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (09/25/89)

I'm looking for a program that disables the control panel so
students can't make changes to it.  Either that or a program
that restores some default settings invisibly on boot.  I
thought I saw something like that a while back.

HELP!! The little monsters are wreaking havoc...

Dave

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (09/25/89)

In article <1989Sep25.051901.3750@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (David Hom) writes:
>I'm looking for a program that disables the control panel so
>students can't make changes to it.  Either that or a program
>that restores some default settings invisibly on boot.  I
>thought I saw something like that a while back.
>
>HELP!! The little monsters are wreaking havoc...

	Some versions of ProDos dont let you go to the panel. When my CMS60
	boots, I have to start a new applicating THEN go to the panel. If I try
	before the application (like proterm) it will just do nothing.

--
"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__         _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (09/27/89)

3 fingers are sometimes worse than 1 ...

In article <1989Sep25.051901.3750@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> you write:
>I'm looking for a program that disables the control panel so
>students can't make changes to it.  Either that or a program
>that restores some default settings invisibly on boot.  I
>thought I saw something like that a while back.

There is a program around in Australia written by a friend of mine,
Richard Bennett, called ILTS (I Like These Settings).
It is freeware, and would probably solve your problems.
I believe it sits on block 1 of a ProDOS disk (otherwise unused) and
possibly a data file as well (I don't think so).
Anyway, if you hold down both apple keys on boot it will restore all
settings to those previously saved - (express load could be a problem?).
He carries a 3.5" with ILTS installed and immediately boots with it
when he wants to use another GS.

If you can't get hold of it, I'll see what I can do about getting you
a copy or at least his phone/address or something - let me know.
He has just had a request from some school to remove the apple keypresses,
looks like students are the same the world over.

I think I have seen an ADB attachment that will intercept oa-ctrl-esc
as well.
I don't know where but I'm sure I didn't invent it. It is of course a
hardware solution and would cost you money.
Maybe it is even an Apple replacement cable just for schools?

John MacLean.

Internet: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
UUCP:     uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072
Snail:    Tower Technology
	  31-33 Sirius Rd, Lane Cove, NSW 2066, Australia.