[comp.sys.apple] SE barfs all disks fed to it.

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) (09/16/89)

A friend's Mac SE has recently decided to reject all the floppies
put into it. Each one put in is pushed back out.

There is an icon of the floppy with an "x" and a question mark
in it when this happens. Nothing about this seems to be mentioned
in the manuals and the store wants him to pay for service to get
it figured out.

Before he ends up spending money on this - has anyone any ideas
about what's happening?

Please reply by mail, if possible,
Thanx,
JJD
onymouse@netcom.UUCP

On Fri, 15 Sep 89 20:28:11 GMT you said:
>A friend's Mac SE has recently decided to reject all the floppies
>put into it. Each one put in is pushed back out.
>
>Before he ends up spending money on this - has anyone any ideas
>about what's happening?

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask the Macintosh group (perhaps you did,
but the address headers don't show any indication)?

info-mac@sumex-aim.Stanford.Edu

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/17/89)

/* Written  3:28 pm  Sep 15, 1989 by onymouse@netcom in tippy:apple */
>A friend's Mac SE has recently decided to reject all the floppies
>put into it. Each one put in is pushed back out.

>There is an icon of the floppy with an "x" and a question mark
>in it when this happens. Nothing about this seems to be mentioned
>in the manuals and the store wants him to pay for service to get
>it figured out.

(The mailer bounced this so I can't reply via email, like you requested.
Sorry.)

This either means that the drive couldn't read the disk or it couldn't
read the system files on the disk.  Make a copy of the original system
disk (on another Mac) and try it.  If this doesn't work, try getting
a disk drive cleaning kit (3.5" version, obviously), which will contain
a disk that has a cleaning type material in it instead of magnetic media.

 |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
 |   Disclaimer:                                           |
 |     If you think I'm serious, that's your problem!      |
 |_________________________________________________________|

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/22/89)

In article <127500047@tippy> emerrill@tippy.uucp writes:

>/* Written  3:28 pm  Sep 15, 1989 by onymouse@netcom in tippy:apple */
>>A friend's Mac SE has recently decided to reject all the floppies
>>put into it. Each one put in is pushed back out.
>
>This either means that the drive couldn't read the disk or it couldn't
>read the system files on the disk.  Make a copy of the original system
>disk (on another Mac) and try it.  If this doesn't work, try getting
>a disk drive cleaning kit (3.5" version, obviously), which will contain
>a disk that has a cleaning type material in it instead of magnetic media.

Disk drive cleaning kits do more damage than good, thier use is not
recommended.  Disk drives do not need cleaning under normal use, and the
use of those dd cleaning kits is like using sandpaper on your drive heads
(i.e. they are too abrasive).  DD cleaning kits are merely gimmick items
aimed at consumers who don't know better by experience.  In fact,
cleaning kits for VCRs (and possibly CD cleaners too) are just as
abrasive, and end up putting more wear on the mechanism than a long
period of normal use.

You might think that a cleaning kit would be a good idea if the drive
were known to be contaminated (such as inserting a diskette with Coke
on it), but in this case you would be better advised to have a
professional disassemble the drive and clean it completely.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/23/89)

In article <7804@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) writes:
-Disk drive cleaning kits do more damage than good, thier use is not
-recommended.  Disk drives do not need cleaning under normal use, ...
-cleaning kits for VCRs (and possibly CD cleaners too) are just as
-abrasive, and end up putting more wear on the mechanism than a long
-period of normal use.

This strikes me as utter hogwash.  Every magnetic media handler
manufacturer I've dealt with has recommended periodic cleaning.
(Tape drives, disk heads, etc.)

On Fri, 22 Sep 89 21:45:50 GMT you said:
>In article <7804@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby)
> writes:
>-Disk drive cleaning kits do more damage than good, their use is not
>-recommended.
>
>This strikes me as utter hogwash.  Every magnetic media handler
>manufacturer I've dealt with has recommended periodic cleaning.
>(Tape drives, disk heads, etc.)

Periodic cleaning by a technition or using a 'head cleaning kit?'  Everyone
I've talked to on the subject (mostly techs and repair people -- most of
whom were NOT trying to sell me something) have said that the kits do more
harm than good.  That is NOT saying that cleaning, aligning, and other
servicing isn't recommended.  In my personal experience, disk head, VCR
heads, casette tape heads, etc. run a LOT of hours before truly needing
cleaning (assuming normal care and storage of media).

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/26/89)

In article <11134@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <7804@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) writes:
>-Disk drive cleaning kits do more damage than good, thier use is not
>-recommended.  Disk drives do not need cleaning under normal use, ...
>-cleaning kits for VCRs (and possibly CD cleaners too) are just as
>-abrasive, and end up putting more wear on the mechanism than a long
>-period of normal use.
>
>This strikes me as utter hogwash.  Every magnetic media handler
>manufacturer I've dealt with has recommended periodic cleaning.
>(Tape drives, disk heads, etc.)

I probably didn't make myself exactly clear, as I subsequently explained
to the person who raised the original post.  Its not that I think
cleaning is *never* necessary, but that consumer oriented cleaning kits
are not acceptable tools for doing so.  I'm not saying that because of
how it 'strikes me', but because of professional advice and personal
experience.  I have had several reports both in NC and WA from VCR
repairmen who have had units in their shop for repair which were damaged
by excessive cleaning.  The cleaning was recommended by the manufacturer
of the cleaning kits, not of the equipment itself, and they usually
recommend to clean too often.  Also, I was advised before I purchased my
Apple Disk II to never to clean a floppy drive.  I have never had any
trouble, except as related to speed (but I don't let school children use
my Apple, that could make some difference).  Regarding tape heads, those
need a great deal of cleaning, but much less so now that I use quality
cassettes.

Take my advice as you will, but I wouldn't rely on the makers of consumer
oriented cleaning kits for their version of how often to clean magnetic
media-based equipment.  Ask the manufacturer of the unit, or the person
who would be repairing your unit, what the recommended product would be
for periodic cleaning and how often to use it.  Better yet, have a
professional clean your VCR or drive once a year if you really think it
needs it.  On one hand, you're up the creek if you damage your equipment
with improper cleaning tools, I'm sure the cleaning kit manufacturers
don't mention your warrenty.  On the other hand, you might save a buck.
I don't really care because I don't stand to make or lose a penny, no
matter what you do.  I made my post because I was advised to never clean
floppy drives, and during eight years of use I have NEVER NEEDED TO.  If
someone can tell me why my drive still works without cleaning, then I'd
be glad to learn somthing.  I will admit that cassette decks need to be
cleaned by hand, and it may not seem logical that VCRs or floppy drives
don't need that, but just ask your local VCR repairman for a few horror
stories.

Incidently, the original poster, who sparked my followup, sent me mail
concerning how he uses q-tips and alcohol (I would prefer professional
tape cleaning fluids with rubber conditioning ingredients) to clean his
cassette tape heads.  That's the method I use for cassette decks, too,
but it doesn't retract the fact that I've had good performance from all
four of my drives (3.5 and 5.25) without the use of any cleaning kits.

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/27/89)

/* Written 12:17 am  Sep 26, 1989 by brianw@microsoft in tippy:apple */
>The cleaning was recommended by the manufacturer of the cleaning kits, not
>of the equipment itself, and they usually recommend to clean too often.

>Incidently, the original poster, who sparked my followup, sent me mail
>concerning how he uses q-tips and alcohol (I would prefer professional
>tape cleaning fluids with rubber conditioning ingredients) to clean his
>cassette tape heads.  That's the method I use for cassette decks, too,

I use the commercially available, wet cleaning kits for my drives, but
I have never cleaned them more than once a year!  I think the packages
recommend once a week or something truly outlandish like that.

BTW, I use the professional cleaning fluids w/rubber conditioning for my
personal tape decks, but at work where Iwe've done mass duplication of tapes,
we just use q-tips and alcohol to clean the heads--a lot cheaper and almost
the same results...