[comp.sys.apple] Appletalk

mrapple@pnet01.CTS.COM.UUCP (08/30/87)

Gosh darn it! I have a //gs and am really fighting a war with it to get
it to print to my Appletalk Imagewriter II proppery. What more must I do???
I've already run the CHOOSER.II until I'm blue in the face, set the slots
propperly (1=your card, 7=Appletalk). Various combinations of resetting
and rebooting the //gs and power on/off of the printer seem to make it
work once in a while, but never for long, and never for a logical
reason. I am getting the new VGC/ROM set within a couple of weeks and
hope the situation will be improved, but sheesh! Is it just me?

CMS:  SYSOP@STOKTON%STOCKTON
UUCP: {cbogsd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mrapple
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mrapple@nosc.mil
INET: mrapple@pnet01.CTS.COM

ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (01/14/88)

Please tell me if I am in the wrong newsgroup.

Here is my situation:

	I have two Mac +s linked together with appletalk cable.  An
Imagewriter II printer is hanging of one Mac.  One Mac has a hard disk,
one does not.  What networking software is recommended to share the hard
disk and the printer?

	Excuse my ignorance.  I am a novice with Apple.

Ken

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (02/25/88)

------ Forwarded Message #1 ------
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 07:02:26 PST
Ppath: pro-angmar!awillis
From: pnet01!crash!bass.nosc.mil!MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Cannot send message for 1 day
To: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!awillis

421 brl-smoke.arpa.tcp... Deferred: Network is unreachable

From: pnet01!pro-angmar!awillis (Albert Willis)
To: infoapple
Subject: AppleTalk

  I've noticed alot of talk about AppleTalk, and I wanted to add my 2 cents.
First, I have used a GS to print files from AppleWorks to A LaserWriter Plus
over an AppleTalk network. All of the needed files are in the AppleTalk folder
on the GS system disk. The Chooser.II software on the system disk recognizes
File servers, LaserWriters, ImageWriters and AppleTalk Zones.
  In short, all of the protocals are there for all possible network actions.
BTW: AppleTalk supports the connection of seperate networks that are connected
via a "bridge" of some sort. That's what Zones are.
  I don't think we'll need Mac II's to run an Apple II network. A IIe (or GS)
dedicated to this task would do nicely. However, if you just want a IIgs and a
LaserWriter (or ImageWriter LQ) to work, all you need is the system disk and
the proper cables. No extra hardware or software. I've done it. More on this
when I have more to report.

Al Willis
------------

delton@pro-carolina.cts.COM (Don Elton) (06/27/88)

If you are using ECP16 in conjunction with an AppleTalk file server, please
leave me an email.  Thanks.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')

US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil E McNeight) (01/04/89)

	My school has a Macintosh AppleTalk system (hold your boo's) with
2 ImageWriters, 1 ImageWriter LQ and 1 LaserWriter.  I want to know if you
could connect a IIgs to the system and use the printers without screwing up
the Mac's?  Can you connect the IIgs in the first place?

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes"	| Neil McNeight
"When the waves turn the minutes to hours"	|

			Gordon Lightfoot	|

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/05/89)

From article <544@spock.UUCP>, by mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil E McNeight):

> 	My school has a Macintosh AppleTalk system (hold your boo's) with
> 2 ImageWriters, 1 ImageWriter LQ and 1 LaserWriter.  I want to know if you
> could connect a IIgs to the system and use the printers without screwing up
> the Mac's?  Can you connect the IIgs in the first place?

Yes, no problem.  You connect the GS via one of its serial ports (preferably
the printer port), & set slot 7 to AppleTalk.  If you're going to be printing
from non-desktop/menu interface-type programs, you need to use the ProDOS 8
chooser program to select the printer, then print to slot 7.  Otherwise, just
go to the Choose Printer menu choice in the application etc...
Make sure you have current system software on all machines or the LaserWriter
may be re-initialized each time a GS prints after a Mac and vice versa.

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat    | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development      | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (01/05/89)

1
You'll be pleased to know that if you use the latest version or the
Apple IIgs system software (System 4.0), it can use any of those Appletalk
devices to print to without screwing up Mac access.  It used to be that
the drivers for the IIgs had to be compatible with the Mac drivers when
printing to the Laserwriter.  So if we came out with a new version of the
laserwriter drivers for the Mac, IIgs users were out of luck.  This is
no longer the case.  Simply use the chooser.II utility supplied with the
software to select the proper printer, and the rest is easy.

Another tip when printing over Appletalk.  Most older software doesn't
know how to print over a network, but it can be done.  Simply select
"Imagewriter" in the printer selection of whatever program that you are
using (say, Print Shop for example), and then say slot *7* for the interface
slot.  The IIgs will take care of the rest.  For really old pre-imagewriter
software, select Apple DMP or C.Itoh Prowriter (or Prowriter II).  These
settings will also work.  Tell me if you have any problems.  I print to
a LaserWriter IINTX from my IIgs everyday.

INTERNET: REWING%TRINCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU-------Richard A. Ewing, IV
Bitnet: REWING@TRINCC---------------Trinity College Mac/Apple ][ Consultant
Compu$erve: [76474,1732]---------Box 1520 Trinity College, Hartford, CT 06106
USENET: ...ihnp4!psuvax!trincc.bitnet!rewing----(203)-524-5152

actually, this signature file is old....it should read:
Rick Ewing
Apple Computer tech Support
Atlanta, GA

sloan@tel.inrs.CDN (David Sloan) (01/05/89)

Yes you can connect Apple Talk to the II GS (although I have no personal
experience). The same communications controller chip which controls the printer
and modem ports can also be used for AppleTalk (although only 2 out of the 3
can be active at one time). The first step is to buy an AppleTalk Connector Kit
(or borrow one from the Mac for testing). Next, configure slot 7 for the
built-in AppleTalk option using the control panel. The last step will depend
on the software package that you are using. For example, with AppleWorks GS
you select Choose Printer from the File menu, enable AppleTalk and select
the printer type (ImageWriter, LaserWriter, etc.). For LaserWriter access
the Macs download a file called LaserPrep (a set of PostScript commands
which allow the printer to operate). The Apple IIGS version of this file
must be compatible with the Mac version to avoid problems.

   David

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (01/05/89)

I tried to send this direct, but I messed the address up somewhere...

~m

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (01/08/89)

in addition, GS/OS comes with special appletalk drivers that allow
some pre-Appletalk applications to print to appletalk printers. You
use the provided chooser application and then tell the old application
that your printer is in slot seven. GS/OS fools the app into thinking
there is an old super serial card in 7 while it pumps the data out to
the networked printer.....

Seymour

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (08/24/89)

Can a IIGS on an AppleTalk network chat to another user(no server)?Is there a
Tektronics emulation program for the GS? Please E-mail response to:
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
Thank's.

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (08/27/89)

>Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 20:29:24 EDT
>From: Philip McDunnough <philip@PRO-GENERIC.CTS.com>
>
>Is there aTektronics emulation program for the GS? Please E-mail response to:
>philip@utstat.toronto.edu

NO!  Please post the info.  I've been looking for almost a year now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nuglaesk@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brian Glaeske) (08/30/89)

In article <8908262321.aa05211@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") writes:
>>Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 20:29:24 EDT
>>From: Philip McDunnough <philip@PRO-GENERIC.CTS.com>
>>
>>Is there aTektronics emulation program for the GS? Please E-mail response to:
>>philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>
>NO!  Please post the info.  I've been looking for almost a year now.

I have a Pascal program for the Mac the plots a device independent file for
a TEK4010.  I'm not to sure about the specifics, since I haven't looked at it
for a while.

If anyone wants it, I'll send it to them.

  \                            nuglaesk@plains.NoDak.edu [Internet]
   \\     ____                 nuglaesk@ndsuvax          [BITNET  ]
   \ \\\ /    \  __----//      uunet!ndsuvax!nuglaesk    [UUCP    ]
    \ \\|  o   \'  `  _/
     \  |      | o  |/         Bill for Prez
\      \ \____( )__/                in
 `--_   -,'    \'                  1992
     \_ | .     |   .|----\                      Brian Glaeske
        |   .   |   .|     ------                P.O. Box 5764
    _ _-| .    /\___/ \                          Fargo, ND 58105
   |     `----'  |      \
   /          |  |       \  HECN BBS! (701) 237-7790 choose class 6
_ /            --

CHRIS@MSUS1.BITNET (09/27/89)

Well, it's school time again, and I'm looking for information for a term paper.
The paper will be about AppleTalk.  Anyone have any suggestions (besides Apple)
as to where I should search for information.  The paper is at a colleg
jr or sr level.  Thanks.

chris@msus1.bitnet
chris@msus.msus1.edu

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (09/27/89)

I am really impressed with the book "Inside Appletalk".  It is one of the best
written books I have read about networking.  This book would have more than
enough information for a term paper.  Its available from APDA of course,
or you local library if they get good books.

Someone from the Appletalk division said he had a paper version of Inside
Appletalk, which may or may not be the older version of Inside appletalk
release papers. (paper version being loose leaf)  But I am sure he was
refering to the book version in loose leaf.  I don't think you would have
much luck in getting this though.

scott hutinger    mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet