[comp.sys.apple] New AWGS user :

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/21/89)

I just picked up AWGS and am starting to wonder why. I put together a data
base and all looks fine until I try to generate a report.  I follow the
instructions and when I go to "Generate Report", I get into the
Wordprocesser adn then I get a message "serious system fault" please
restart.

I've got GS/OS V3.0 installed, I have 1.25m of memory. I tried just

Is this one of he documented hacks under GS/OS V3.0?  I have V1.0V2, the
latest I believe.  Any thoughts on this?

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (09/24/89)

In article <837@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:

> I just picked up AWGS and am starting to wonder why. I put together a data
> base and all looks fine until I try to generate a report.  I follow the
> instructions and when I go to "Generate Report", I get into the
> Wordprocesser adn then I get a message "serious system fault" please
> restart.

> Is this one of he documented hacks under GS/OS V3.0?  I have V1.0V2, the
> latest I believe.  Any thoughts on this?

Well, first of all, I apologize for not answering your EMail on this same
question, but things have been busy and tech-support isn't exactly my job.

Secondly, have you tried using the system we shipped with AWGS?  1.0v2 is
certified under System Software 4.0, and not under 5.0.  Is the problem
reproducible or did this just happen the one time you tried?

Finally, I'm fairly sure the message you're seeing is "A serious system
error has occurred."  If not, I have no idea what's going on.  It is, indeed
something of a hack (I know -- I wrote it), but it is neither documented nor
specific to System 5.0.  Basically it's a BRK/COP vector installed by AWGS.
When you see it, you've crashed.  Instead of falling through to the monitor
(on the text screen, which the user can't see) we decided to be a little more
user friendly and put up the TLMountVolume fake alert and allow the user to
reboot with just a mouse-click.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) (09/25/89)

Comment to message from: claris!wombat@apple.com (Scott Lindsey)

Along the lines of AWGS' incompatibility with System Disk 5.0, I'd like to
briefly point out one problem I've noticed.  This will likely _only_ affect
users trying to use the Epson printer drivers supplied on the AWGS system
disk.

Using the DC-Printer CDev with SD5.0, it is impossible to get either DB or
Page Layout modules to present a page width of more than half the usual screen
size.  I don't know whether the problem is directly associated with the CDev,
but as long as the Epson driver is selected, I can't use the entire page width
to build a document.  Switching to "Imagewriter" solves the problem, but does
me no good as I don't own an Imagewriter in the first place.

And no, I don't want an Imagewriter.  I need/want the 24-pin text quality I
get from my LQ-800.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tomd
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tomd@nosc.mil
INET: tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/26/89)

> Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 89 02:25:02 GMT
> From:         Chris Shatara
>
> I just picked up AWGS and am starting to wonder why. [...]

I agree completely.  I have AppleWorks 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 as well as
AppleWorks GS.  I find that I have only rarely made any real use of
AWGS.  My recommendation for anyone considering purchasing any of the
AppleWorks versions would be to stick to the classic ones (i.e., 2.1
or 3.0).  Particularly if it is upgraded with some of the TimeOut
additions.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (09/26/89)

Network Comment: to #5421 by claris!wombat@apple.com

What does it mean "[awgs 1.00v2] is certified under 4.0 and not under 5.0"?
Don't the guys from Claris and the guys from Apple get together once in a
while and ensure compatibility in future products? Wasn't awgs 1.00v2 ever
tested under System Disk 5.0 before the 5.0 (or 1.00v2) was released? Call me
a wimp... I'm sticking to "Classic" AppleWorks. IT WORKS.
ProLine: sb@pro-generic
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sb

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (09/28/89)

From article <8909270558.AA12533@trout.nosc.mil>, by sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown):
> Network Comment: to #5421 by claris!wombat@apple.com
>
> What does it mean "[awgs 1.00v2] is certified under 4.0 and not under 5.0"?
> Don't the guys from Claris and the guys from Apple get together once in a
> while and ensure compatibility in future products? Wasn't awgs 1.00v2 ever
> tested under System Disk 5.0 before the 5.0 (or 1.00v2) was released? Call me
> a wimp... I'm sticking to "Classic" AppleWorks. IT WORKS.
We released 1.0v2 and about three weeks later got the first 5.0 beta
disks.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (09/28/89)

any chance of a new release of AWGS that runs under system 5.0
(or system 5.0.2)?

jeremy mereness
=============   "A car in every pot; a chicken in every garage"
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)