[comp.sys.apple] CD only works on Mac

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (09/27/89)

Ah, at least I know my mind is not completely gone!  An Apple Dealer brought
in another CD player, and it works just fine on the two scsi cards and
cables.  But, mine does not work on the GS, it only works on a Mac.  What
seems to be the problem?  Do I really need to buy two CD players for two
computers?  One for the GS, and one for the Mac?

Does this mean the CD player is junk?  Oh, why me.

scott hutinger    mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/27/89)

In article <8909261623.aa02344@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>Ah, at least I know my mind is not completely gone!  An Apple Dealer brought
>in another CD player, and it works just fine on the two scsi cards and
>cables.  But, mine does not work on the GS, it only works on a Mac.  What
>seems to be the problem?  Do I really need to buy two CD players for two
>computers?  One for the GS, and one for the Mac?
>
>scott hutinger    mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

The only thing I can think of is that the folks you loaned your CD player to
changed the SCSI Priority on it...maybe to 7, which is the default setting
for the Apple SCSI card.  (As I understand it, Macs are priority 0, so any
nonzero priority is fine for a Mac, and any non-7 priority is okay for an
Apple II SCSI card.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (09/27/89)

Dave Lyons   dlyons@APPLE.COM   wrote:
>The only thing I can think of is that the folks you loaned your CD player to
>changed the SCSI Priority on it...maybe to 7, which is the default setting
>for the Apple SCSI card.  (As I understand it, Macs are priority 0, so any
>nonzero priority is fine for a Mac, and any non-7 priority is okay for an
>Apple II SCSI card.)

:-(  I checked that when the other CD Player came.  It was set at 3, and to
make sure this was not the problem, I changed it to 4(the same as the one
that a dealer brought in)  Oh well, such is life.  (oh, I meant to say that I
loaned my GS, and not my CD player, (and this was an exception to the rule))

Maybe it wants to live on my server or something???  I will try a couple
different priorities, just for the sake of reaching for something.  Then
get out the screw-driver...(ha ha)

Scott Hutinger      mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (09/28/89)

In article <35048@apple.Apple.COM>, dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>for the Apple SCSI card.  (As I understand it, Macs are priority 0, so any
>nonzero priority is fine for a Mac, and any non-7 priority is okay for an
>Apple II SCSI card.)

Nope, Mac's are just like Apple II's for SCSI.  Mac's are at priority 7
as well, and any devices HAVE to be lower priority than the CPU.
-------
Dan Berry, Univ. of Alberta Computing Systems (Network & DataComm.)
* CORRESPONDENCE: UserDBUG@UAltaMTS.bitnet
* FILE TRANSFERS: ..!ubc-cs!alberta!ualtasun!dan@uunet.uu.net
* INK/PAPER MAIL: U. of Alberta, Room 120 GSB, Edmonton, T6G 2R3