[comp.sys.apple] Looking for some utilities

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (09/26/89)

I'm looking for some utilities for certain functions.

1 - Password protection on folders, so you can lock out access to
    certain folders and/or disks.  I don't need anything fancy or
    unbreakable - just something that will keep a computer novice
    from accessing files.
2 - SCSI.hacker, or any other program that allows selecting interleaves
    for formatting hard drives.  I've picked up scsi.hacker off the
    standard ftp sites, but none of them unpack correctly.  If anybody
    can mail me this program, I'd really appreciate it.
3 - An utility that allows from booting off either partition off a
    hard disk.  Ideal when you want to keep system5.0 and 4.0 both
    around for compatibility reasons.

Thanks.

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (09/27/89)

>On Mon, 25 Sep 89 20:27:18 GMT   Subash Shankar said:

>I'm looking for some utilities for certain functions.
>
>1 - Password protection on folders, so you can lock out access to
>    certain folders and/or disks.  I don't need anything fancy or
>    unbreakable - just something that will keep a computer novice
>    from accessing files.

>	2 deleted

>3 - An utility that allows from booting off either partition off a
>    hard disk.  Ideal when you want to keep system5.0 and 4.0 both
>    around for compatibility reasons.
>
>Thanks.

If you find them, I would be interested in a copy myself.
Thanks
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (09/27/89)

In article <8909262247.aa05970@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") writes:
>>On Mon, 25 Sep 89 20:27:18 GMT   Subash Shankar said:
>>I'm looking for some utilities for certain functions.
>>
>>1 - Password protection on folders, so you can lock out access to
>>    certain folders and/or disks.  I don't need anything fancy or
>>    unbreakable - just something that will keep a computer novice
>>    from accessing files.
>If you find them, I would be interested in a copy myself.

	Well, for the first one, it wouldn't be too difficult to write a
program that would scramble a file based on a key, and then unscramble
it later. You could just scramble a directory, and then when you wanted to
use the files (or subdirectories), you'd just unscramble the thing. Of
course, this isn't exactly transparent... I think that to do that
transparently would be a MAJOR pain, as you'd have to go mucking about in
the OS, and at that point, you might as well make it fairly secure, as
it wouldn't be all that much more work...
--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (09/29/89)

In article <32471@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@src.honeywell.com (Subash Shankar) writes:

>I'm looking for some utilities for certain functions.
>
>1 - Password protection on folders, so you can lock out access to
>    certain folders and/or disks.  I don't need anything fancy or
>    unbreakable - just something that will keep a computer novice
>    from accessing files.

You need something which allows you to set the access bits on a file or
folder (i.e. that makes the MLI SET_FILE_INFO call) For full access, set the
access byte to $C3, for standard "locked" $01, to disable reading set it to $00.

Note that disabling reads on directories can create interesting situations
where you can read a file but not its directory entry.

Someone out there must have a simple utiliy to set the file info on files.
If you have it, please post it.
--
Doug Reeder                          USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Box 722 Reed College                 BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET