[net.movies] For Your Eyes Only

kco@allegra.UUCP (11/06/84)

This question has rattled around in my head
ever since I saw the flick way back when:

What is the correct interpretation-

      1) "for YOUR eyes only"

	  or, is it

      2) "for your EYES only"

1) means only you can read it; 2) means you can only read it.

1) is the title song prosody, rendered by an American;

2) sounds more British to me, but I'm an American- what do you say, Britishers?

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (11/06/84)

Regarding the questions on "For Your Eyes Only":

I think the correct interpretation is: For YOUR Eyes only. I don't
really think it has anything to do with reading in the context they
used it though.

The title song was sung by Sheena Easton - as I recall it was her
breakthrough into the music world. She is British ( Scottish or
gaelish? or something like that )
--
				Jon M. Allingham
				(201) 386-3466

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/08/84)

<=== yum yum ===>
Speaking of FYEO I feel this was definitely the best Bond flick, including
the Sean Connery movies. Bond was not everwhelmed with all kinds of
gadgetry but had to carry the movie on ACTION (maybe even some acting:-)).
Also we get to see that Bond is really human and can get *mad*. Usually
he is so glib it is sickening. So, what is YOUR favorite Bond movie?

			       Rick Gillespie
				  rick@ucla-cs
				  ...!{cepu|ihnp4|sdcrdcf|ucbvax}!ucla-cs!rick

	 "I came here for a good argument!"
	 "No you came here for an argument"

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (11/08/84)

It's a pun.  'For your eyes only', sometimes abbreviated 'eyes only'
is a type of British Secret classification.  It means only YOU may
look at this copy.  It's not quite as secret as 'Burn before reading....

So the pun is
	a) the reference to classified material (this IS a spy movie, after all)
	b) the reference to the womam -- "look but don't touch"
	c) What she says at the end -- "I'm all yours, now"

Why do I bother?

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

stewart@ihldt.UUCP (R. J. Stewart) (11/09/84)

> Speaking of FYEO I feel this was definitely the best Bond flick,
> So, what is YOUR favorite Bond movie?

I agree that FYEO is an excellent Bond film.  For the first time since
Sean Connery was in them, you actually see Bond (...James Bond) get into
real trouble.  In all the previous films with Roger Moore, Bond waltzes
through every situation without a scratch.

My absolute favorite Bond flick, though, is "On Her Majesty's Secret
Service".  Fantastic action, with the best story line so far.  I still
remember the impact that the ending had on me.  The crying shame is that
it stars George Lazenby (sp?) as Bond.  What awful acting.

I wish that "Never Say Never Again" had been a remake of OHMSS with
Connery, instead of being a remake of "Thunderball".

Bob Stewart
ihldt!stewart

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (11/09/84)

> <=== yum yum ===>
	I too thought FYEO was terrific, and so did my girlfriend--we've seen
it once 'for real' and again on TV. As you did, we liked the action, but also
we appreciated the fact that this flick had a real (in so far as a Bond film
has any reality!) female lead who does more than volupt. When the two finally
fall into bed, as the ending implies, you feel that they both deserve it.

	Nevertheless, "From Russia With Love" and "You Only Live Twice" are
both excellent--I wouldn't try to rank them.

	Incidentally, we normally avoid violent films, but we don't seem to
mind James Bond. Maybe it's because they are so unrealistic, a sort of
'sanitized violence'.

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (11/12/84)

                                              A. J. Rowley
--
There is no dark side of the moon really; as a matter of fact, it's all dark...

                                   -"Eclipse", Pink Floyd

keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris Keesan) (11/14/84)

from zinfandel!berry

> It's a pun.  'For your eyes only', sometimes abbreviated 'eyes only'
> is a type of British Secret classification.  It means only YOU may
> look at this copy.  It's not quite as secret as 'Burn before reading....
>
> So the pun is
> 	a) the reference to classified material (this IS a spy movie, after all)
> 	b) the reference to the womam -- "look but don't touch"
> 	c) What she says at the end -- "I'm all yours, now"

    This is getting a little silly.  I haven't seen the film, but I think it
quite probable that the title has little if anything to do with the film.
As with most Bond films, the title of "For Your Eyes Only" comes from the title
of a written James Bond work, in this case a short story.  In the context of
the story, the meaning is quite clear.  The story is a report from Bond to his
boss, M., describing some activities Bond has been engaged in which are
personal, illegal, have nothing to do with the legitimate activities of the
British Secret Service, and should not be mentioned to anyone because both
Bond and M. would get into trouble.  Given this, it's natural that the report
would get an "Eyes Only" classification, no pun involved.
--
			    Morris M. Keesan
			    {decvax,linus,ihnp4,wivax,wjh12,ima}!bbncca!keesan

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (11/14/84)

In article <1138@bbncca.ARPA> keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris Keesan) writes:
>    This is getting a little silly.  I haven't seen the film, but I think it
>quite probable that the title has little if anything to do with the film.
>--
>			    Morris M. Keesan
>			    {decvax,linus,ihnp4,wivax,wjh12,ima}!bbncca!keesan
>			    keesan @ BBN-UNIX.ARPA

Well, I have seen the film, several times.  Yes, the titles are probably
more appropriate for the novels, whose plots are usually unrelated to
the plots of the corresponding movies.  However, they usually manage to
fit the title in with the movie in some way.  In this particular case,
when Bond goes into M's office to get his assignment he is given a
dossier, which is marked "Eyes Only".
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

steven@ism70.UUCP (11/17/84)

Two cents from Lotusland:

As far as remaking _T_h_u_n_d_e_r_b_a_l_l goes, Kevin McClory, Connery and
Len Deighton (who wrote _T_h_e_ _I_p_c_r_e_s_s_ _F_i_l_e, among other spy
thrillers) had gone so far as to write a screenplay partially
based on the concept of stolen nuclear weapons. The script
_W_a_r_h_e_a_d called for Bond, at the climax of the film, to evacuate
Manhattan in search of a stolen warhead in the sewers amidst
giant alligators. Of course, Cubby Broccoli wouldn't let McClory
do anything other than what he was specifically entitled to do,
which was remake _T_h_u_n_d_e_r_b_a_l_l after 10 years.

Jack Schwartzmann, who finally brought the remake (_N_e_v_e_r_ _S_a_y
_N_e_v_e_r_ _A_g_a_i_n) to the screen, reportedly has the right to make
another Bond film, but has decided against it following its
relatively disappointing box office performance.

gupta@asgb.UUCP (11/19/84)

[  I think this discussion belongs in net.nlang  ]

The problem with this phrase is the word "only". Does it apply to "Your" or
to "Eyes"? If it applies to "Your", then the object to which this phrase
applies should not be seen by anyone else (My opinion is that this was the
intention when Ian Fleming wrote the book). If the word "only" applies to
"Eyes" it would mean that the person could look at the object but not do
anything else to it, e.g. touch it. The word "only" strikes again.

--
Yogesh Gupta                           Advanced Systems Group,
{sdcrdcf, sdcsvax}!bmcg!asgb!gupta     Burroughs Corp., Boulder, CO.