[comp.sys.apple] Softswitch, Nucleus, others.

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (09/15/89)

I have been using softswitch for some time now.  It is a very slick program.
It does not allow a program to run in the background (i.e., no starting
a download and switching to something else) but it does allow rapid switching
between applications.

My only problems with it have been that 1) Even with 1.25 meg of RAM, I can
only have 2 applications saved at one time.  GS/OS gobbles a lot of RAM
for itself.  I just need to get more memory.  (2)  You have to be pretty
careful when switching between applications that do disk access, such
as WordPerfect (//e version, obviously), AppleWorks, etc.

Finally, I would like to know why you couldn't switch between 1 GS/OS
application and prodos 8 applications.  Why couldn't you just save that
chuck of the GS/OS app, then switch to P8, then plop the appropriate
chunk of the GS/OS application back into the right place?  That way you
wouldn't need to mess with moving around the huge GS/OS applications.
Seems like it should work.  Could it?  Or are there problems I'm
missing?

Despite these minor complaints, Softswitch is one of the reasons I
haven't gone back to a //e that I've plugged a Zip Chip into.  (No
flames, I just don't have any use for SHR graphics and mice at the
moment.)

The other reason (plug, plug) is DiversiKey, by Bill Basham, which
is an excellent macro program that runs on the GS and allows you to
define macros for any application.  I just mention this because I
really like the program and own it.  It is shareware (at leas
[leas=least] according to my docs it is, so I'll post it if people
are interested.  Email those requests to me, though, not the net,
please.)

Could someone please post the Nucleus demo?  Unless I'm missing
something, a the point of a _demo_ should be to get as widely
distributed as possible so that people will actually buy the
game isn't it?

BTW:  I outgrew my Sider D4a (40 meg) harddrive.  Anyone interested
in buying it?

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer:  These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College, but they probably should.

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (09/16/89)

  I wouldn't mind taking a look at Diversikey.

  BTW, how'd you manage to log on without making a move?

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (09/18/89)

In article <8909151047.aa00796@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:

>Could someone please post the Nucleus demo?  Unless I'm missing
>something, a the point of a _demo_ should be to get as widely
>distributed as possible so that people will actually buy the
>game isn't it?

Nucleus isnt a game...  Its just what it says.. A _demo_.  It demonstrates
the gs's graphics and sound capabilities.  As for posting it, someone already
did over a week ago...

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (09/28/89)

Network Comment: to #303 by ogccse!blake!ndsuvax!nuwilken@ucsd.edu

Enough already with Nucleus. It bored me to tears. The only thing original
about it is a clever math algorithm for spinning the designers' initials
around the screen, and a song score.

The reason it loads fast is because they wrote their own startup routine,
which bypasses the loading of all of the tools you need to do anything
worthwhile with the IIGS.

Pass on Nucleus. There are many better examples of both graphics and sound
available, all of them interactive.

Joe Abernathy

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (09/29/89)

In article <8909281225.AA24249@trout.nosc.mil> jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) writes:
>Network Comment: to #303 by ogccse!blake!ndsuvax!nuwilken@ucsd.edu
>
>Enough already with Nucleus. It bored me to tears. The only thing original
>about it is a clever math algorithm for spinning the designers' initials
>around the screen, and a song score.

Isn't that a large part of what makes Nucleus worthwhile in the first place?
It's a quality animation AND music demo...I don't think there was anything
before this that comes close on the GS.  When comparing this demo to other
animation efforts, I'd have to say that this one is very good.  Why?  The
animation is nearly flicker free!  And this is on a machine with one slow
graphics buffer.  The sound quality is very high, and the sequencing doesn't
mess up the animation.

When you are racing the vertical sync down the face of the tube, refreshing
the screen without flicker, and keeping the ensoniq DOC fell fed and happy,
timing becomes rather tricky.  On an Amiga, it's not any big deal.  On the GS,
it's something to be proud of.

[Comment on "it loads fast because..." deleted]

>Pass on Nucleus. There are many better examples of both graphics and sound
>available, all of them interactive.

I'd like to hear about other examples of simultaneous graphics and sound that
are as well done as Nucleus.  The Sword of Sodan demo is one of them, but it
doesn't feature a music soundtrack.

--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
   "MY GOD! I HAVE POCKETS!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HAVE POCKETS!!" - Tick

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/29/89)

On Thursday Sept 28 Joe Abbernathy said:
>Network Comment: to #303 by ogccse!blake!ndsuvax!nuwilken@ucsd.edu
>Pass on Nucleus. There are many better examples of both graphics and sound
>available, all of them interactive.
Care to cite some examples?  Nucleus blew me away the first time I heard
and saw it.  Mind you it does get boring after you seen it a while but
the graphics/animation and sound have been unparalled in anything I've seen...

Bitenet:Robm@tuns

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (09/30/89)

Comment to message from: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy)

> Pass on Nucleus. There are many better examples of both graphics and sound
> available, all of them interactive.

I beg to differ.  The graphics are boring after you figure them out I'll admit
but the music is really nice.  From what I gather it is also an original score
and that's worth a few points in my book.

Have you figured how to change the songs?

| UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] !crash!pro-europa!paul | "All that is necessary for the |
| INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com             |  triumph of evil, is for good  |
| ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil      |  men to do nothing."           |