[comp.sys.apple] IIGS gif program

steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn) (09/25/89)

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a gif converter for the IIGS?  (I.e.
using it's full graphics capabilities, not just 6 colors).
   Thank you,
      Gavin Steyn
steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/26/89)

> Does anyone know where I can get hold of a gif converter for the IIGS?  (I.e.
> using it's full graphics capabilities, not just 6 colors).

Have you tried SHRConvert version 2.1?  It is available in files
88-00661, 88-00662, and 88-00663 on the APPLE2-L list server at the
BITNET node BROWNVM.  Please remember that this is a shareware
program ($20 as I recall).

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

t_harvey@oxy.edu (Theodore Richard Harvey) (09/27/89)

Yes, a very good shareware program for the GS that works with GIFS and all
formats known to Apple is the Shareware Convert 2.1.  I believe it is
written by Jason Harper and can be obtained on any good Apple BBS.

dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) (09/27/89)

Network Comment: to #382 by tank!eecae!netnews.upenn.edu!eniac.seas.upenn.edu!steyn@handies.ucar.edu

There is a GREAT on for the GS and it is called SHRConvert.  It is Public
Domain and it is very good.

It will let you convert any Apple Graphics, or Atari, Amiga, MAC, and other
pics to either a compressed of non-compressed GS graphics file to be used with
something like PaintWorks.

KMILES@cc.usu.edu ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (09/28/89)

>There is a GREAT on for the GS and it is called SHRConvert.  It is Public
>Domain and it is very good.

	WRONG!!!!.     The ones I've seen say shareware.  Jason deserves the
        money he is asking for.   When I can afford it, I'll start using it
        myself.  Meanwhile, I'll try to bum an occasional picture from friends,
        or do without.  I am a believer in paying for value received, and Jason
        definitely provides value with this program.

>It will let you convert any Apple Graphics, or Atari, Amiga, MAC, and other
>pics to either a compressed of non-compressed GS graphics file to be used with
>something like PaintWorks.

Kurt

jib@prism.TMC.COM (09/28/89)

RE: SHRConvert

SHRConvert is most definitely NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN.  It is shareware (I think
$20 and well worth it).  If you use it, pay for it!

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/29/89)

In article <8909271518.AA24372@trout.nosc.mil> dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) writes:
>There is a GREAT on for the GS and it is called SHRConvert.  It is Public
>Domain and it is very good. [...]

I don't think SHRConvert (by Jason Harper) has ever been PD--it was Shareware.
I heard a while ago that it was going commercial--does anyone have details?
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (09/29/89)

Network Comment: to #3090 by tank!eecae!netnews.upenn.edu!eniac.seas.upenn.edu!steyn@handies.ucar.edu

> Does anyone know where I can get hold of a gif converter for the IIGS?  (I.e.
> using it's full graphics capabilities, not just 6 colors).
> Thank you,
> Gavin Steyn
> steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Yes, you can call my System called Pro-Graphics at 201/469-0049 and download
the program SHRCONVERT from the Data Library.  Or you can see where you can
find the program locally to you.  I don't know if there is a server that has
it available but I'm sure someone can give you more info on that than me.

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

UD169430@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Aaron Swiers) (09/30/89)

Not that I'm an authority on the subject or anything, and you'll probably
get several other responses similiar to this, but......
The correct name of the program you are seeking is Super Hi-Res Convert
2.1, or abbreviated SHRConvert.  I can't say exactly where it is located,
I'm sure it's probably here on Apple2-L, and yes, any quality Apple BBS should
have it.  I'm running a BBS here in Grand Forks ND (yes, we're the ones by
the Air Force Base from Wargames).  In case you are interested, the phone
number is (701) 775-2479.  I'm running GBBS 1.3j 3/12/2400 buad, 24hrs,
with 40megs online.  Until then,

Aaron Swiers - Phoenix

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (09/30/89)

Network Comment: to #543 by dlyons@apple.com

actually, the VERY first version, very crude, was free.  Some folks talked
Jason into making it shareware and copywritten and he spent a whole summer
trying to track down copies and getting folks on different boards, etc.
to update them.

dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) (10/01/89)

Network Comment: to #543 by dlyons@apple.com

Boy, everybody seems to be hacking me down because my finger slipped and I
typed PD instead if ShareWare.  Sorry, all, sometimes I also get my terms
mixed up.  Us smart people's (ahem...) memories sometimes don't always work
right...

Regardless...  If you have a GS, and you like messing with graphics and stuff,
get this.

                        (and bother to pay the $20 (I think) also)