[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks 3.0

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (06/13/89)

This past weekend on Beagle Modem I saw four postings that whetted
my appetite: (Somewhat paraphrased)

1. When Appleworks 3.0 comes out will Beagle support it?

2. Where did you hear such a rumor?

3. Don't you read NAUG? (National Appleworks User's Group)

4. Beagle will always be there to support Appleworks. Of course it
   will probably require and update - Randy Brandt - Ultramacros
   author.

Could some kind reader please fill us in on what is going on and
what the time frame is supposed to be. Open~Apple (now A2~Central)
had an article over a year ago that said something about Appleworks
version 3 unless Claris buys Claris (which he didn't think would
happen).

For my money, Appleworks is darn good right now and if it should
get some spreadsheet enhancements in terms of expanded functions,
it would be real hard to beat.

How about the net going nutso on what Appleworks enhancements they
would like to see and allow the piracy issue drop out of sight
until next spring when the sap again begins to flow.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com (Bob Sherman) (06/15/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!ihlpf!bird (Walters)

Joe, There is currently a lot of work going on with Appleworks 3.0, and
has some dandy features. However it still is in beta, and from the
number of bugs still being found, I suspect will be in beta for a good
while longer yet. (we would not want to rush a good thing, would we???)

Despite the "announcement" in the national Appleworks journal, the product
is still under wraps on official levels.

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (06/17/89)

Claris Corporation will be announcing AppleWorks 3.0 on Wednesday, June 21 at
the National Educational Computing Conference being held in Boston. No details
yet, but stay tuned.

Albert Willis

obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bloom-beacon.mit.edu | AppleLink PE:  BCS Al
obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bu-it.bu.edu         | BCS Apple Connection:
pro-angmar!awillis@obsolete.uucp                 | 617/ 893-5681  [Al]

LocjAW@cup.portal.com (JOHN M ROINICK) (06/19/89)

the only enhancement that I would like to see added to Appleworks is in the
spreadsheet right now.  I would like the ability toSUM or MINUS like
spreadsheets or SUM or MINUS named areas.  That has been a feature of LOTUS
since V.2 and I need it!  No. spreadTools does not do that!

JOhn Roinick   aka Locjaw

ulf@pro-generic.cts.com (Ulf Danus) (06/20/89)

How much approximately will the new version cost?  Can all the _old_ utilities
still work with it (like Timeout and Supermacroworks)?

                                  Send e-mail to:
                                 _________________
                                |                 |
                                | ulf@pro-generic |
                                |_________________|

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (06/20/89)

  Appleworks 3.0, as described in A2-Central, seems terrific, including
most of the TimeOut enhancements that I actually use.  I'm disappointed
only in that it doesn't include macros built in.

  A2-Central, by the way, includes an offer from Claris for subscribers
to obtain Appleworks 3.0 for $99.

  A not so pleasant note is "Beagle Bros has also acquired the rights to
all Styleware products (except Appleworks GS, of course) from Claris.
While the fact that Beagle Bros has them and will probably support them
well is welcome, this additional indication of Claris' apathy towards
the Apple II market is depressing.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

>How much approximately will the new version cost?  Can all the _old_ utilities
>still work with it (like Timeout and Supermacroworks)?

Now is REALLY a good time to be an A2-Central subscriber!! :-)

According to the July issue:

1) AppleWorks users registered with Claris (what 2.0, 2.1, or such?)
   WILL receive an upgrade offer (send in your old original AW disk and $79)

2) A2-Central subscribers (not registered with Claris):
   a) send in an original AW disk, $79, and the special (one to a customer)
      coupon sent to subscribers with the July issue
   b) send in the special coupon WITHOUT AN AW DISK!!!! and $99

3) Otherwise the same $249 list price as the current AW

Perhaps someone from Claris can enlighten me on part 2b.  I reread the
newsletter and the coupon several times and I find it ambiguous.
Is this a special 'early bird' sale open to non-owners (never
bought, never registered) at an even better deal than eventual mail order
prices or an 'on your honor' offer to buyers of AppleWorks who for any
number of reasons no longer have an original program disk (owners of
early pre-Claris versions, for example who may have chucked AW and
switched to something else)?

A2-Central lists improvements in all phases of AW (far too numerous for
tying in).  I thought the announcement date was given as Jun 20 (don't
have my copy handy), but I saw a message on this feed saying Jun 21.  In
any case, perhaps someone at Claris has an 'official' press release
detailing the improvements that can be posted here (it'd be at least as
much fun as the 78Kbytes of Mac System 7 Q&A :-)))

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (06/20/89)

Network Comment: to #7309 by obsolete!att!ihlpf!bird%ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Well, the new, improved, version of the 'clasic' Appleworks has finally
been announced-- in the July issue of A2-Central (Open-Apple). They
indicate that Claris announced the new AppleWorks at the National Educational
 Computing Conference in Boston on June 20.  Claris got Beagle Bros
to update the program.  Working on the update project were Alan Bird,
the originator of the Timeout series, Randy Brandt (UltraMacros), and
Rob Renstrom (Timeout Graph)

A2-Central's headline:

"AppleWorks 3.0 a blockbuster".

That's a very good describition after reading all the details of the
new features.  Some of them are:
16,000 line word processor
QuickSpell builtin
Real tabs and multiple tab rulers
Six custom printers
Supports total of 7 brands of printers now.
16,000 record data base with horizontal scrolling in multiple-record
layout.
A 9,999 row by 127 column spreadsheet.
The two primary enhancements to the spreadsheet are the addition of a large
number of new functions (26) and the ability to reference text in formulas.
Clipboard with no size limit other than the amount of memory you have.
Clipboard can now move data between all three modules.
Automatic support of aux-slot memory cards.
Still works of 128K machines.
Ungrade price of $79 from Claris.
There's just a few of the enhancements.  There are many more enhancements
that were mentioned in the article.  Users of the Timeout series from
Beagle Bros will require updates to work with AppleWorks vers. 3.0.

----------------------------
Also mentioned in the same issue-- Beagle Bros has also acquired the
rights to all StyleWare products (except AppleWorks GS of course) from
Claris.  They will be released in new Beagle Bros packaging, for the
most part at StyleWares's prices, on July 1.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
DIALCOM: 164:NVC100
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (06/21/89)

This is probably too much to ask for but what I'd really like to see
in Appleworks is the ability to reference other spreadsheet and
database modules (perhaps on disk, especially the database).  I often
have needs where the numbers on one file are a function of huge lists
of constants stored in another spreadsheet or database, and being
forced to combine these into the same file makes the whole thing
a kluge.

Is there any spreadsheet on the Apple (or any other computer for that
matter) that supports such a feature?
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

>Murphy could you make anything out of the * which states at the bottom
>registered owners will receive a different special offer direct from Claris?
>
>I couldn't make heads or tails of what I should do as a Registered Claris
>appleworks user.

Perhaps someone at Claris.com will be kind enough to straighten us out, but
I have this *vague* memory that Claris did NOT pick up Apple's complete
registered owner files for older versions (before 2.0, or was it 1.something?)
of AppleWorks.

IF you registered with Claris directly, then you can expect Claris to offer
you an upgrade (nothing I noted in A2-Central indicates the upgrade from
Claris will be any different than $79), but if you registered with Apple
and never upgraded through Claris, you can't expect to hear from Claris.

Hence, it seems to me that if you are BOTH an A2-Central subscriber AND
registered with Claris, you have two ways of accomplishing the same end
(where is Scott when we need him? :-)  <-- please note tongue in cheek.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/21/89)

From article <24198@srcsip.UUCP>, by shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth):
> This is probably too much to ask for but what I'd really like to see
> in Appleworks is the ability to reference other spreadsheet and
> database modules (perhaps on disk, especially the database).  I often
> have needs where the numbers on one file are a function of huge lists
> of constants stored in another spreadsheet or database, and being
> forced to combine these into the same file makes the whole thing
> a kluge.
>
> Is there any spreadsheet on the Apple (or any other computer for that
> matter) that supports such a feature?
Full Impact on the Mac supports references to other spreadsheets, but the
first version of the program was very, very slow.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (06/21/89)

From article <8906201531.aa15180@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall):
>>Murphy could you make anything out of the * which states at the bottom
>>registered owners will receive a different special offer direct from Claris?
>>
>>I couldn't make heads or tails of what I should do as a Registered Claris
>>appleworks user.
>
> Perhaps someone at Claris.com will be kind enough to straighten us out, but
> I have this *vague* memory that Claris did NOT pick up Apple's complete
> registered owner files for older versions (before 2.0, or was it 1.something?)
> of AppleWorks.
>
> IF you registered with Claris directly, then you can expect Claris to offer
> you an upgrade (nothing I noted in A2-Central indicates the upgrade from
> Claris will be any different than $79), but if you registered with Apple
> and never upgraded through Claris, you can't expect to hear from Claris.
>
> Hence, it seems to me that if you are BOTH an A2-Central subscriber AND
> registered with Claris, you have two ways of accomplishing the same end
> (where is Scott when we need him? :-)  <-- please note tongue in cheek.

Most of us that have accounts on the Claris Sun do not deal with upgrades
and registration so we don't know.  You have to talk to Customer Relations,
either on the phone or through Snail (US) Mail.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.
GO 'STROS!         | These opinions are mine.  Any resemblence to other
GO RICE!           |  opinions, real or fictitious, is purely coincidence.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/21/89)

Network Comment: to #8861 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET

The coupon in A2 Central also mentioned that new AW3.0 owners can get
UltraMacros at a great price ($29 or something like that).

Ultra 3.0 is more powerful than ever before. Randy has enhanced several of the
commands and added several new ones.  The update (when it becomes available --
about the same time AW3.0 is available) will be the standard $10 + disk or
through your Beagle Buddy.

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/21/89)

A great number of details on AppleWorks 3.0 appeared in this month's
A2Central. It is undoubtedly a major upgrade which will (as they say) enrich
the Apple II computing experience. I am impressed, and I can't wait to see
this thing for real! My compliments to Mr. and Mrs. Apple the proud parents of
a new program.

Stephen
Brown

ProLINE: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (06/21/89)

From article <8906200758.aa01720@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein):

>   A2-Central, by the way, includes an offer from Claris for subscribers
> to obtain Appleworks 3.0 for $99.

It further stated that upgrades for registered owners and those
that can "find" their original disks can upgrade for $79. This
means that already owning Appleworks is worth only $20. (??)

I read the article to say that Beagle had been asked to help/do the
upgrade and in doing so many of the Timeout enhancements have been
built in. Given this is so it seems very reasonable that Beagle put
in tons of hooks for future Timeout enhancements while they were in
the neighborhood. Thus, it seems to be in all of us Appleworks
users best interests to feed back all of the goodies we have wanted
to see in Appleworks through the years. Note that Mark Munz who
posts to the net on a regular basis is a Beagle employee so
feedback will be automatic. For starters, here is one of mine for
the spreadsheet:

Forward references are a fact of life in any reasonably sized
spreadsheet. The problem with them is that unless the correct
number of recalculations are performed you have incorrect results
in parts of the SS. One answer to this problem is to have a SS mode
whereby it will automatically do recalculations until no cell in the
entire SS exhibits a change. Naturally, you need an escape
mechanism to handle circular references since they by their very
nature would cause infinite looping.

(It will be interesting to see if Mark posts an Ultramacro macro
that will perform this function in todays Appleworks.)
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/21/89)

Network Comment: to #8875 by pnet01!crash!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mailrus!cwjcc!hal!nic.MR.NET!srcsip!haarlem!shankar

If you use AppleWorks with CelLink (from the Beagle Bros SpreadTools disk),
you can do exactly that. It will allow you to import cells from spreadsheets
on the desktop as well as on disk.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/21/89)

Network Comment: to #8878 by pnet01!crash!lll-winken.llnl.gov!claris!jazzman

> Full Impact on the Mac supports references to other spreadsheets.

Now, now... there is no need to convert to a MAC.  In fact, with a little help
from ol' Beagle Bros, you can do it right inside AppleWorks. :-)

(That Apple II never stops doing what people say it can't do!  <grin> )

aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael Owen) (06/22/89)

In article <8821@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>Thus, it seems to be in all of us Appleworks
>users best interests to feed back all of the goodies we have wanted
>to see in Appleworks through the years. Note that Mark Munz who
>posts to the net on a regular basis is a Beagle employee so
>feedback will be automatic.

I'd dearly love to have the ability to reference multiple-column tables with
the @LOOKUP function in the SpreadSheet.  To refresh, I'll give an example:

	@LOOKUP(N15,X40..X45)

The value of N15 is 3, and the others are as follows:

	X	Y
40	1	-5
41	2	0
42	3	5
43	4	10
44	5	15
45	6	50

Using these values, the function would return 5.  What I'd like to see is a
function that looks like this:

	@LOOKUP(value1,value2,range)

Where value1 specifies the vertical and value2 the horizontal reference points
on the table indicated by range.  For example:

	@LOOKUP(E11,Y45,M10..M14)

	E11=2, Y45=4

	M	N	O	P	Q
10      1	-5	10	5	0
11	2	0	20	10	-10
12	3	5	30	15	-20
13	4	10	40	20	-30
14	5	15	50	25	-40

This function would return a value of -10; @LOOKUP(4,2,M10..M14) would return
the number 40.

A POSSIBLE PROBLEM: Under the current @LOOKUP function, the range can be
referenced to either a row or column section.  This may not be possible when
passing two variables with this new version of @LOOKUP.

Have you got all that?  Good.  Now, in ADDITION to the ability to reference
multiple-column tables, I'd like to be able to return string values as well.
Perhaps you could control how many cells of text to return, regardless of
what is in them.

If there is a TimeOut function or doo-dad that allows you to do this, please
let me know.  I don't have any of the TO stuff, but if you can do multiple-
column table lookups with one of BB's utilities, you've got a new customer.

One last item: the ability to enter longer functions--longer than the 80 or
so characters allowed right now.  I've got some @IF expressions that won't
fit into this space.

>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

       />    The Broken Blade           Aragorn III (Michael Owen)
      /< ________ ______________        aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu
C=====[*>_______/|______________>       Starfleet HQ: (206) 783-5589
      \<                                3/12/24 8N1 24 hrs - A ModemWorks BBS
_______\>_____"Ai na vedui!"__________________________________________________

>this thing for real! My compliments to Mr. and Mrs. Apple the proud parents of
>a new program.

Godparents maybe (Apple still owns most of Claris), but I'd guess the
programmers at Claris find the continuing mis-identification discouraging.

Maybe if the name were changed to ClarisWorks (why not? -- "A rose by any
other...)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (06/22/89)

Actually, that should be mr. and Mrs. Claris.  We here at Apple are only
grandparents. :)

--Rick Ewing
  REWING@APPLE.COM

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/22/89)

Network Comment: to #8902 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!ihlpf!bird

Joe, a macro is definitely the answer for that problem. Now it's just a matter
of finding out when any spreadsheet cell has (or rather hasn't) changed.

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (06/24/89)

>>This is probably too much to ask for but what I'd really like to see
>>in Appleworks is the ability to reference other spreadsheet and
>>database modules (perhaps on disk, especially the database).  I often
>>have needs where the numbers on one file are a function of huge lists
>>of constants stored in another spreadsheet or database, and being
>>forced to combine these into the same file makes the whole thing
>>a kluge.
>>
>>Is there any spreadsheet on the Apple (or any other computer for that
>>matter) that supports such a feature?
>>---
>>Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
>>shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

TimeOut ReportWriter from Beagle Bros will begin shipping next week.  It can
do relational reporting from up to 11 database and/or spreadsheet files.  It
can also print paragraphs from word processor files.  This is a great product,
packed with all of the reporting functions AppleWorks left out.  It's ideal
for teachers keeping assignments, student gradebooks, and letters to parents
in AppleWorks -- using ReportWriter will let you generate complete attendance
records, report cards, letters to parents, etc. that are more detailed than
the limited reports you can produce with AppleWorks alone.

Businesses can use it for orders, inventory, invoices, billing, and more.
With this program you can have a report calculate figures and have those
figures posted into a database or spreadsheet file, for automatic updating of
related files -- values in an inventory file could be subtracted from when a
customer order or invoice report is produced, for example.

Call the customer support number at 619/452-5502 for more info.

>From article <8906201531.aa15180@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET
>(Murph Sewall):
>> Perhaps someone at Claris.com will be kind enough to straighten us out, but
>>
>Most of us that have accounts on the Claris Sun do not deal with upgrades
>and registration so we don't know.  You have to talk to Customer Relations,
>either on the phone or through Snail (US) Mail.

Methinks it's time someone told Customer Relations that they could relate
to customers better if they'd learn to use computers :-)  How can you all
expect us to have any confidence in software supported by technophobes?

AW 3.0 may be a 'better mousetrap' but if the plan is to wait for customers
to beat a path to your door, then there won't be as many customers as would
exist otherwise.

We appreciate the technical support and wisdom of those of you who actually
create the software (at Apple as well as Claris), but if you're not going
to have your marketing peoples' general ignorance driving you as well as us
nuts, you ought to show them the World out here.

How come no press release about AW 3.0 from Claris on the net?  Don't tell
me Customer Relations wrote it on an Underwood?

/s Murph <Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET>

      I bought the latest computer;
      it came fully loaded.
      It was guaranteed for 90 days,
      but in 30 was outmoded!
        - The Wall Street Journal passed along by Big Red Computer's SCARLETT

   FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

saw@pro-abilink.UUCP (Alan Woods) (06/26/89)

Network Comment: to #5697 by shankar@src.honeywell.com

>>This is probably too much to ask for but what I'd really like to see
>>in Appleworks is the ability to reference other spreadsheet and
>>database modules (perhaps on disk, especially the database).  I often
>>have needs where the numbers on one file are a function of huge lists
>>of constants stored in another spreadsheet or database, and being
>>forced to combine these into the same file makes the whole thing
>>a kluge.
>>
>>Is there any spreadsheet on the Apple (or any other computer for that
>>matter) that supports such a feature?
>>---
>>Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
>>shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

I once wrote a couple of interlinked macros using TimeOut Ultramacros that
were called from one spreadsheet which was a quote template.  They checked for
a file on the desktop and loaded it if it was not loaded, then proceeded to
open it and search it for various pieces of information such as list price and
weights for UPS, Parcel Post and LTL (Motor Freight) shipments.  It then went
back to original file and entered the information in the proper blanks and
cycled until it had found the price and weight info for each product in the
quote.  Finally it did an OA-K to run the formulas in the template and total
the results.  It took about 4 or 5 hours to write and refine but it works
great.  Now we keep the quote templates in files seperate from the "price
list" files.  This was a change from using the @lookup command which only
allows two rows or two columns for data.  One column to match off of (equal to
or greater than, I think) and the resulting data to be returned.  Have you
ever tried to look up a part number using AWClassic's @lookup?  Not too great
if it is supposed to be in the middle of the list and isn't.
Your friendly BBud,

 Alan Woods
 ProLine: pro-abilink!saw
    UUCP: crash!pro-abilink!saw
    ARPA: crash!pro-abilink!saw@nocs.mil
    INET: saw@pro-abilink.cts.com
  Bitnet: saw%pro-abilink.cts.com@nosc.mil
    ICBM: N32-26.485 W99-42.035 WGS-72  <--- (Thanks, Vic!:)

kevin@claris.com (Kevin Watts) (06/30/89)

From article <8906242107.aa16554@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall):
> Methinks it's time someone told Customer Relations that they could relate
> to customers better if they'd learn to use computers :-)  How can you all
> expect us to have any confidence in software supported by technophobes?

Actually, Customer Relations and Technical Support at Claris both use
computers heavily, they just don't have direct net access.  One way to
contact them via the net is to use the AppleLink bridge and mail to
CLARIS.CR@applelink.apple.com

> AW 3.0 may be a 'better mousetrap' but if the plan is to wait for customers
> to beat a path to your door, then there won't be as many customers as would
> exist otherwise.

That's definitely not the plan.  AppleWorks 3.0 was officially announced at
NECC in Boston last week. (National Education something Conference).  I
expect traditional marketing avenues will be followed.  I don't speak for
marketing, although I sometimes wish I could :-)

> We appreciate the technical support and wisdom of those of you who actually
> create the software (at Apple as well as Claris), but if you're not going
> to have your marketing peoples' general ignorance driving you as well as us
> nuts, you ought to show them the World out here.
>
> How come no press release about AW 3.0 from Claris on the net?  Don't tell
> me Customer Relations wrote it on an Underwood?

No, on a Macintosh, probably in MacWrite II.
Remember, the net is a non-profit forum, so the legality of posting
commercial announcements (especially for a mass-market product) is
questionable at best.
I'll forward your comments to them anyway.

> /s Murph <Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET>
--
 Kevin Watts        ! Any opinions expressed here are my own, and are not
 Claris Corporation ! neccessarily shared by anyone else.  Unless they are

>> How come no press release about AW 3.0 from Claris on the net?  Don't tell
>> me Customer Relations wrote it on an Underwood?
>>
>No, on a Macintosh, probably in MacWrite II.
>Remember, the net is a non-profit forum, so the legality of posting
>commercial announcements (especially for a mass-market product) is
>questionable at best.

Advertising (offering to sell) is verboten; news (and new product
announcements are NEWS) is legit.  Press releases for GS/OS System Disk V
and Macintosh System 7 have been posted to the net (as has quite a
bit of information about how to order AW 3.0 althouth not by anyone
at Claris).  The FACT of a new version and it's features IS a legitimate
function of BITNET certainly and the Internet as well I believe.

A reasonable rule of thumb might be: if the content (the information, not
necessarily the verbatim text) of a release will appear (has appeared)
in InfoWorld, MacWeek, InCider, or similar as editorial (news) copy not
an ad, then it should violate the nets rules.  Most of the info about
AW 3.0 appeared as news in A2-Central, but not everyone reading comp.sys.apple
subscribes to A2-Central.  Claris has lawyers; they could verify the legality
of my commonsensical assessment.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

notscott@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Scott Notenberg) (07/22/89)

Does anyone know some new features that Appleworks 3.0 will have?
Does it include many of the non-graphic features of Appleworks-GS?
I am specifically interested in the spreadsheet enhancements because
2.0 is really lacking for my meager needs (but I struggle with it anyway).
Cell naming and relative vs. absolute addresses in cell formulas would
be a welcomed enhancement.

Any comments would be appreciated.

+----------------------------+ +----------------------------------------------+
| Scott Notenberg (notscott) | | INTERNET : notscott@uvicctr.UVic.ca          |
| Department of Comp Science |-| BITNET   : notscott@uvunix.bitnet            |
| University of Victoria     |-| UUCP     : {ubc-vision,uw-beaver}!uvicctr!   |
| (604) 598-9038 or 721-7217 |-| SNAIL    :  591 Falkland Road, Victoria      |
|                            | |             British Columbia, Canada V8S 4L6 |
+----------------------------+ +----------------------------------------------+
| "The square root of 2 is not rational--why bother trying to reason with it!"|

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (07/22/89)

According to the A2-Central Developer Conference information I got today,
Beagle Bros will discuss AppleWorks 3.0 internals at their TimeOut seminar
at the A2-Central Developer Conference.  Other neat tidbits: Randy Brandt
will be discussing the new features of UltraMacros 3.0 at Beagle's macro
seminar.  Anyone who has any interest in developing for Apple II's should
beg, borrow, or -- nah, don't steal -- to go to this conference.

/\    Jerry Kindall     JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL    GEnie: J.KINDALL  ALink: JKindall

acct069@carroll1.UUCP (Ron Higgins) (07/22/89)

In article <8906170427.AA18049@obsolete.UUCP> awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) writes:
>Claris Corporation will be announcing AppleWorks 3.0 on Wednesday, June 21 at
>the National Educational Computing Conference being held in Boston. No details
>yet, but stay tuned.
>

>Albert Willis

I just recieved my copy of A2-Central in the mail today, and they devote 6
of 8 pages to the new AppleWorks 3.0 that will be announced soon.

If you don't subscribe to A2-Central, I suggest that you do now.  It's the
best 8 pages a month of Apple // info that you'll find anywhere.  (My
opinion)

AppleWorks 3.0 includes many many new features.  16,000 line word
processor, 16,000 record database, 9,999 x 179 cell spreadsheet for
starters.  Still runs in 128k of memory, but the desktop will be 40k.

Ron

>In article <8906170427.AA18049@obsolete.UUCP> awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert
> Willis) writes:
>>Claris Corporation will be announcing AppleWorks 3.0 on Wednesday, June 21 at
>>the National Educational Computing Conference being held in Boston. No details
>>yet, but stay tuned.

Zounds! Close to a record delay I think.  Occasionally some LISTSERV will
go bonkers and repost a message a couple of months AFTER it was posted
originally, but I don't recall seeing this one before (send 22 Jul, received
17 Aug).  What was that about the U.S.Postal service being slooooww????

Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (08/18/89)

Claris here is quoting first week in September Delivery.  Sounds like they
are packaging.   Remember anyone in Canada if you don't see the offer for
Ultra macroworks in your copy ASK BEAGLE BROS. and say Mark Simmon said
we could have it at the special rate.  And you can quote me.  He promised me
in Kansas that it would be extended to Canada.

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (09/06/89)

To those of you that have received your AppleWorks v3.0.  Take a look at any
of the screen prints of AW 3.0 when they are 'adding', 'deleting' or doing any
kind of action on a file.  Notice the file named 'Memo 3/89' ?  Yep, that's
right.  They are showing a slash (/) as part of a file name.

Now, can any of you folks from Claris up here tell me (and many others) how to
have a filename that contains a slash?  :)

Dale

(probably get some comment about them there document writers not knowing what
they are doing  :)  )

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (09/06/89)

I believe the Memo comment in the screen is simply a message the claris makers
had forgotten about.  It will probably be removed in upcoming revisions. Oh for
 those who have Appleworks 2.0 with Timeout Quickspell and a 3 1/2" or hard dri
ve, you are able to use the 400K dictionary on AW 3.0 with the 2.0 Quickspell.
This will give you about 150% more words (254K versus 400K)

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/07/89)

>                                                                         Oh for
> those who have Appleworks 2.0 with Timeout Quickspell and a 3 1/2" or hard dri
> ve, you are able to use the 400K dictionary on AW 3.0 with the 2.0 Quickspell.
> This will give you about 150% more words (254K versus 400K)

Very interesting.  Does anyone know if the reverse is also true?
That is, can I use the TimeOut QuickSpell version 2.0 dictionary with
AppleWorks 3.0?  The reason I ask is that with the upgrade you only
get one size disk and I got the 3.5" disk for use on my //gs.
However, I would like to build a 5.25" disk(s) for occasional use on
my daughter's //c.  I understand that because of space limitations
the dictionary that comes on the 5.25" disk is smaller than the one
that comes on the 3.5" disk.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/08/89)

Here is the response that I received from Evan to my question about
using the TimeOut QuickSpell dictionary from AppleWorks 2.0 with
AppleWorks 3.0 for building a 5.25" disk.  I thought that others in
netland might be interested.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

== Forwarded Mail ==

Date:         Thu, 07 Sep 89 16:34:08 EDT
From:         ST802148@BROWNVM
Subject:      Re:  AppleWorks 3.0

YES!!! You CAN use the Timoeout Appleworks 2.0 Quickspell Dictionary with Apple
works 3.0!!! I HAVE Tried it and it DOES work! Good question, I figured someone
 would ask it. Although, if you buy the 5 1/4" version of Appleworks 3.0, it sh
ould come with a scaled down version of the 400K, if not the original one for A
ppleworks 2.0 Quickspell. But just make sure you also have the cust.dictionary
on the same disk. You will have to do a bit of swapping, though. Hope I've help
ed.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (10/01/89)

Well they finally started shipping to us here in Canada and on opening the
package the compatability sheet states that it is compatable with Innovative
System's Math Co-Processor.  Does any one know if AppleWorks will actually
take advantage of the card to speed up the spreed sheet.

Grant

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/02/89)

Network Comment: to #11136 by delaneyg%wnre.aecl.cdn@relay.cdnnet.ca

> Well they finally started shipping to us here in Canada and on opening t
> package the compatability sheet states that it is compatable with Innova
> System's Math Co-Processor.  Does any one know if AppleWorks will actual
> take advantage of the card to speed up the spreed sheet.

Actually, the card comes with a patch to AppleWorks that lets AW support it in
the SpreadSheet.

Technically, it is just a patch to the SANE routines in AW, and all calls made
through SANE are sent to the math co-processor. The fact that both AW2.x and
AW3.0 use the standard SANE routines lets IS's card stay compatible w/o
changes.

--Mark Munz