[comp.sys.apple] TurboRez GS, new APW

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/24/89)

Just got back from AppleFest... one of the more interesting products was
called the "TurboRez GS".  It's a "Graphics Enhancement Board", which gives
you 256 colors per line instead of only 16.  Additionally, it appears to do
some graphics processing and page flipping (if it didn't the demo I was
watching would not have been possible).  The guy I spoke with didn't go into
great detail, and their flyer said "...there are several proprietary features
which we cannot presently disclose...", but he did mention that they were
considering using interlacing to get 400 line vertical resolution.

Another item of note was the new APW.  Right now they're only selling the
tools, but those include a new linker, a resource compiler/decompiler, an
ExpressLoad convert, and revisions of older tools (like MakeLib).  The
interfaces have been updated through System 5.0.2, which will be released
soon.

Oh yeah, there was some portable thing there.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/24/89)

So what was new in the game front at Applefest?

emerrill@tippy.uucp (09/25/89)

/* Written  5:01 pm  Sep 23, 1989 by fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU in tippy:apple */
>Just got back from AppleFest... one of the more interesting products was
>called the "TurboRez GS".  It's a "Graphics Enhancement Board", which gives
>you 256 colors per line instead of only 16.

This sounds like a step in the right direction, but I wonder how many
software packages will be modified to take advantage of it.  What company
makes it?  When will it be available and at what suggested price?  Thanks
for any info!!

 |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
 |   Disclaimer:                                           |
 |     If you think I'm serious, that's your problem!      |
 |_________________________________________________________|

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (09/25/89)

In article <17582@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Just got back from AppleFest... one of the more interesting products was
>called the "TurboRez GS".  It's a "Graphics Enhancement Board", which gives
>you 256 colors per line instead of only 16.  Additionally, it appears to do
>some graphics processing and page flipping (if it didn't the demo I was
>watching would not have been possible).  The guy I spoke with didn't go into
>great detail, and their flyer said "...there are several proprietary features
>which we cannot presently disclose...", but he did mention that they were
>considering using interlacing to get 400 line vertical resolution.
>
>Another item of note was the new APW.  Right now they're only selling the
>tools, but those include a new linker, a resource compiler/decompiler, an
>ExpressLoad convert, and revisions of older tools (like MakeLib).  The
>interfaces have been updated through System 5.0.2, which will be released
>soon.
>
>Oh yeah, there was some portable thing there.
>
>--
>fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

     Please keep us informed about this product.  how much does it cost?

	Collin

In article <127500054@tippy> emerrill@tippy.uucp writes:

>/* Written  5:01 pm  Sep 23, 1989 by fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU in tippy:apple */
>>Just got back from AppleFest... one of the more interesting products was
>>called the "TurboRez GS".  It's a "Graphics Enhancement Board", which gives
>>you 256 colors per line instead of only 16.
>
>This sounds like a step in the right direction, but I wonder how many
>software packages will be modified to take advantage of it.  What company
>makes it?  When will it be available and at what suggested price?  Thanks
>for any info!!
>  _________________________________________________________
> |                                                         |
> |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
> |_________________________________________________________|

	I don't remember the name of company that actually made the product,
but I do know that Applied Ingenuity was at least -PLANNING- on marketing
the product... The company that invented it didn't want to hassle with
the marketing/etc...  I got this information from the dude from HAL
LABS who was in the Applied Ingenuity cubicle...(The author of TAXMAN and
a new Mandlebrot generator that he wrote that is in his II Technical
magazine.. Was kinda slow but the source is short as all hell... Of course,
I may be wrong in saying that, as I've never seen source of another Mandlebrot
generator).

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/03/89)

In article <9238@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
[stuff about TurboRez gs deleted]

>I got this information from the dude from HAL
>LABS who was in the Applied Ingenuity cubicle...(The author of TAXMAN and
>a new Mandlebrot generator that he wrote that is in his II Technical
>magazine.. Was kinda slow but the source is short as all hell... Of course,
>I may be wrong in saying that, as I've never seen source of another Mandlebrot
>generator).

Call -A.P.P.L.E. had a short gs Mandelbrot a year or so ago.  I can't find
it right now, but I think the source was a page or two.  The Mandelbrot set
can also be generated from a one-line BASIC program (!).

Incidently, I have a couple of ML programs for the gs (SHR) that I wrote
to display two other types of fractals.  I'll post them if there's any
interest.

Henry

---
Henry Throop