[comp.sys.apple] GSOS bug?

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (10/02/89)

I got my order from TML last Thursday, minus the Source Code Library.
Has anyone else ordered the SCL?  Did anyone get it?  I'm going to call
TML tomorrow, but in the meantime...

I went to compile some of the sample stuff on the compiler disk, and I
kept getting the error "unable to open tool interface," or something
very similar.  After a little investigating, I discovered that the tool
interface for Quickdraw was damaged.  Bad news!  Anything using any kind
of graphics needs this interface.  TML was nice enough to include the
source code for the interfaces, but the source code for the Quickdraw
tool interface was damaged too!  Lucky me, it's all printed in the back
of the book!  8+ pages of Quickdraw constants, type declarations, and
procedure headings.  GROAN!  I hope it works.

Another strange thing.  TML pascal shipped on two disks: one has all of
system disk 5.0 (the boot stuff), and the other disk (the compiler disk)
has the compiler :-).  I was making a backup of both disks.  I booted up
with system disk 5.0.  My system is configured thusly:

	GS w/ 512k on AE GS-Ram
	one Apple 3.5 drive (smartport)
	one noname 5.25 drive (daisey chained to 3.5 drive - slot 6)
	MDIdeas Supersonic/Digitizer (slot 4 - set to mouse)
	Imagewriter II (printer port)

I removed system disk 5.0, and inserted 4.0 (my old system disk - work
copy).  I believe I executed Copy II plus (v 8.3) to examine the catalog
of my system disk 4.0.  I then returned to the finder (system disk 5.0)
and copied the entire 5.0 disk onto the 4.0 disk.  I then copied the
entire compiler disk.

For some strange reason, the first time I boot the system disk and then
go to execute TML pascal, the system hangs after the second disk switch.
(insert compiler disk, double click on TML icon.  computer asks me to
insert system disk.  after a minute or so, the computer asks me to
insert compiler disk.  I insert the compiler disk, and the system hangs.
 This happens with my original disks also)

So I go to execute TML pascal after making the backups.  The system
hangs, and I reboot.  The finder comes up, and the screen is screwed up.
 Everything that wasn't background appears to have two bits in every
byte shifted over one byte to the left (icons, menu bar).  Like a double
image of everything.  It appeared to be the first and seven bits of each
screen byte.

So I figure that some memory got trashed, and rebooted.  Same thing.  I
thought maybe the disk was trashed, so I took out Deluxe Paint.  Same
thing.  Now I'm worried - I thought I blew the video controller, or
something dumb like that.  I ran the diagnostic test - no problems.  I
rebooted, and the problem was still there - isn't the diagnostic test
supposed to clear out all memory?  I ran my AE memory check utility.  No
problems there either.  I turned the machine off, waited a couple of
seconds, and turned it back on.  Problem was still there.  So I shut the
machine off, went downstairs to watch tv, and came back about an hour
later to find that the problem was gone.

It occurs to me now that the computer might have overheated.  However,
I've never had a problem with overheating in the (4? 5?) years that I've
owned the machine.  It's in a well ventilated area, and the ambient
temperature couldn't have been higher than 70 F.

I still can't get TML Pascal to execute the first time through either.
Might this have something to do with switching disks/executing programs
with only one 3.5 drive?

thanks.

       -seth
a physics/computer science major in four acts\Carnegie Mellon University
======================================================>
tHe mAd ScienTisT,	|sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
  and other carnations.	|p254sk2f@cmccvb   (bitnet - might not work)
>>tmS software systems<<	|
<======================================================

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (10/03/89)

Comment to message from: sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh)

You should reread the minimum system requirements for just about anything on
the GS, especially for program development tools such as TML Pascal.  A GS
with 768K total and only one 3.5 disk will have difficulty in cutting the
mustard.  You need more memory!  Especially under GSOS, 768K is a marginal
system configuration.  You really need to fill your AE GS RAM.  Then you need
to start looking to add a second disk drive or even better, a hard disk.

Sam

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <kZ9bVVq00XcSM1akwq@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>[...]
>I went to compile some of the sample stuff on the compiler disk, and I
>kept getting the error "unable to open tool interface," or something
>very similar.  After a little investigating, I discovered that the tool
>interface for Quickdraw was damaged.  Bad news!

Gee...my copy is fine.  Did you write-protect your original disk?  Was
it damaged when you received it?  Try copying the damaged file to find
out whether the file is readable (I can't tell from your description
whether there are unreadable blocks on your disk, or whether the
contents of the file have been messed up.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.