[comp.sys.apple] Help with 'CHAIN'

markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) (09/30/89)

Network Comment: to #5688 by microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net

Does the chain command only handle 'smaller' files or what?  I have recieved a
 File Too Large error, when trying to chain from a 7 block file to an 18 block
file...Could this be memory conflict problems?  This might also help, I have
dimensioned several strings at the beggining of the first file...Could this be
a reason for the error?  Please, anyone that can offer the help, send it to
one of the addresses below:

  ==========::Mark::Leumanne::============  ======::Toronto::Ontario::=====
 =                                        ==                               =
 = UUCP: crash!pro-generic!markl          ==       "Apple ][ forever."     =
 = ARPA: crash!pro-generic!markl@nosc.mil ==       "Beatles forever."      =
 = INET: markl@pro-generic.cts.com        ==       "Networking forever."   =
 =                                        ==                               =
  ========================================  ===============================
 = CD 61 72 6B : CC 65 75 6D 61 6E 6E 65 : CC 6F 76 65 73 : C1 D0 D0 CC C5 =

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <8910012146.AA08642@trout.nosc.mil> markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) writes:
>Network Comment: to #5688 by microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net
>
>Does the chain command only handle 'smaller' files or what?  I have recieved a
> File Too Large error, when trying to chain from a 7 block file to an 18 block
>file. [...]

No, you can chain to a larger file if there's enough memory free.  Try
PRINT FRE(0) right before the CHAIN and see just how much there is.  Your
string variables are indeed important, since CHAIN preserves all your
variables.  (If you don't want them, use RUN instead.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.