[comp.sys.apple] Control Panel disable

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (10/02/89)

Howzit!

        For all of you looking for a way to disable control panel access,
I accidently found a solution.  First, I am using a IIGS with ROM version
01.  For some reason, doing a call to print the computer name ($FB60) will
disable the control panel until someone does a control-reset.

        From basic: ]Call 64352

        From the monitor: *FB60G

        From assembler: JSR $FB60

        Latas, Jack

|                 | "Some people never learn anything because they understand | |  Jack S. Lai    |  everything too soon" - Alexander Pope                    |
|  jlai@pro-sol   | You think (insert language here) is bad, try NELIAC!      |
|_________________|___________________________________________________________|

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <8910020218.AA12553@trout.nosc.mil> jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) writes:

>Howzit!
>
>        For all of you looking for a way to disable control panel access,
>I accidently found a solution.  First, I am using a IIGS with ROM version
>01.  For some reason, doing a call to print the computer name ($FB60) will
>disable the control panel until someone does a control-reset.
>
>        From basic: ]Call 64352
>
>        From the monitor: *FB60G
>
>        From assembler: JSR $FB60
>
>        Latas, Jack

I just tried this on my two favorite machines:

On ROM 01, it apparently initialized a lot of system vectors that it probably
should not have touched.  This did indeed prevent me from getting into the
control panel, but it also made my machine pretty much go bonkers.  Had to
reboot.

On ROM 3 it just printed Apple IIgs at the top of the screen as expected,
without preventing control panel access or messing up anything else.

(Obviously, this is not a supported way to prevent control panel access.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.