[comp.sys.apple] Toolbox question

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/06/89)

I have a simple question  ( don't they all start out this way ). I've used
the toolbox routine

    SetTextFace($8)

to set the style of of the text (using he system font) to OUTLINE.  Works
fine on the screen but doesn't work when printing.  Is there any obvious
reason why this is so?

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/08/89)

In article <767@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I have a simple question  ( don't they all start out this way ). I've used
>the toolbox routine
>
>    SetTextFace($8)
>
>to set the style of of the text (using he system font) to OUTLINE.  Works
>fine on the screen but doesn't work when printing.  Is there any obvious
>reason why this is so?

No, nothing obvious to me.  Is there anything "special" about that call
compared to your calls for actually drawing the text?  (Any SetPort calls
separating them, for example?)  What printer are you printing to, and
what version of the System Software are you using?

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/08/89)

>>fine on the screen but doesn't work when printing.  Is there any obvious
>>reason why this is so?
>
>No, nothing obvious to me.  Is there anything "special" about that call
>compared to your calls for actually drawing the text?  (Any SetPort calls
>separating them, for example?)  What printer are you printing to, and
>what version of the System Software are you using?

There is NO difference between the two chunks of code.  Nothing special
either.  I writing to an Imagewriter-II and using System software V5.0

This one is really strange.  I found a workaround by using the Install
font instruction and using a different font, but I shouldn't have to do
this with the default system font (right?).

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (10/03/89)

     Does anybody have any info on QuickDraw call $8D (SetStdProcs), or any oth
er way of coustomiseing QuickDraw ? The Toolbox Refrence says that "At the time
 of publication, more details were unavailable".

               Thanks in advance,

                  Nathan Srebro | (Uri Srebro              )
                  Haifa, Israel | (Technion, Haifa, Israel )

   MAR21AA at Technion.BITNET

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <8910021622.aa06262@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) writes:
>Does anybody have any info on QuickDraw call $8D (SetStdProcs), or any oth
>er way of coustomiseing QuickDraw ? The Toolbox Refrence says that "At the time
> of publication, more details were unavailable".

Yes--this information is available in Apple IIgs Technical Note #34: Low-Level
QuickDraw II Routines, published in May 1988 and revised in January 1989.  I'm
e-mailing you a copy.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.