[comp.sys.apple] making an invisible button in a dialog box

hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (10/03/89)

How would you do this with the IIGS toolbox:  make an invisible
buttonItem with NewDItem() in a dialog, (no button outline or words).
It still has to be treated like a normal button in that ModalDialog() will
return the ID of that button if the mouse is clicked in its rectangle.
It has to let anything behind it in the dialog box "show through"; i.e.
if some words drawn with DrawString() are behind the invisible button
they have to show through.

Thanks very much.

Jeff Hartkopf

Internet:
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <12312@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) writes:
>How would you do this with the IIGS toolbox:  make an invisible
>buttonItem with NewDItem() in a dialog, (no button outline or words).
>It still has to be treated like a normal button in that ModalDialog() will
>return the ID of that button if the mouse is clicked in its rectangle.
>It has to let anything behind it in the dialog box "show through"; i.e.
>if some words drawn with DrawString() are behind the invisible button
>they have to show through.

(I'm not sure exactly why you want to do this--maybe it you describe it
somebody will come up with a more beautiful solution.)

You can make, say, a *visible* static text item that has a very large bounding
rect but no actual text.  Create it before the other items, and it'll be
checked last, so it catches all the clicks that don't hit other items.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.