[comp.sys.apple] The best Apple?

RONIE@cup.portal.com (RONALD LEE FERGUSON) (09/26/89)

Well I own 2 apple II+ computers and one apple IIE.
If you had to choose one computer that Apple has made, which one would
you choose?
I have thought of buying a Mac or GS.
Of all the models Apple has made which one is the best to own?

Ronie@cup.portal.com

On Mon, 25 Sep 89 23:43:14 GMT you said:
>Well I own 2 apple II+ computers and one apple IIE.
>If you had to choose one computer that Apple has made, which one would
>you choose?

The Mac IIci without doubt (at least until the Mac 'Tower' -- Mac IItx? --
becomes available :-) with 4 Mbytes of RAM and 80 Mbyte hard drive.

Of course you didn't mention WHO was going to pay the bill! 8-O

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

CHRIS@MSUS1.BITNET (09/27/89)

This is an age old question regarding all computers.  It all depends on what you
want to do; and what you have to work with.  (ie. somone who was planning on
simply doing word processing, and nothing else, may want to use a MAC).

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (09/27/89)

>Well I own 2 apple II+ computers and one apple IIe.
>If you had to choose one computer that Apple has made, which one would
>you choose?  ....  which one is the best to own?

The never ending question; which computer is better...   First, in order to
answer your question, I would have to know what you do with your computer.
And perhaps what your financial status is like.

From what I've heard, if you work for Apple they give you a free computer.  If
you could get any computer for free, I bet I guess which one you would choose.
A Mac II!  (Hey, anyone want to send me a Mac II?)  However, most of us aren't
quite that fortunate; we have to buy the computer.  The mega -bucks for a Mac
IIci (which, by the way, looked really nice at the Power in Motion Macabration
last week) are out of most normal users budgets.  Another thing about the Mac
II, ever look in MacWorld and check out the prices for all those peripherals
and add-ons?  Even the software is more expensive.  We're talking about major
bucks here.

If you own a business and need the speed for those spreadsheets, you might
consider a Mac.  Or if you plan to buy a laser printer and want to do some
major desktop publishing, the Mac wins hands down (at least for now).  Though
I do know that drivers may show up soon for some of the lower priced laser
printers that are popping up all over the place (finally).

If money is no object; a Mac II is a real nice machine.  Hey, it's the leading
edge of techology.

I, myself, like the Apple IIGS.  It's the poor man's Mac II.  Just wish it was
faster.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) (09/29/89)

Network Comment: to #438 by usc!henry.jpl.nasa.gov!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez@apple.com

That Best Computer...

Well, basically, that computer that gets the job done best is the one that's
best for you.  Some computers are extra-good in number crunching and get
certain jobs done very efficiently.  Other's can't show graphics, but are
really fast.  I picked my Laser 128 because it plays the games I like, it does
the chores I needed it to do, and it doesn't cost much to expand (which covers
a 15 year-old's budget!)

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (10/04/89)

In article <22529@cup.portal.com>, RONIE@cup.portal.com (RONALD LEE FERGUSON) writes:
> Well I own 2 apple II+ computers and one apple IIE.
> If you had to choose one computer that Apple has made, which one would
> you choose?
> I have thought of buying a Mac or GS.
> Of all the models Apple has made which one is the best to own?
>
> Ronie@cup.portal.com

The best advice I've ever received is the following:

Determine what software you want/need to run, then buy the best computer you
can afford to run that software.

*
(with a GS on the desk at home collecting dust until they come out with a d
decent Hypermedia program like HyperCard...and HyperStudio does not cut it.)