[comp.sys.apple] Appletalk Manual

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (09/29/89)

I am looking for a book noted in several Apple // Technotes called

"The Appleshare Programmer's Guide to the Apple //GS"

is this an Addison-Wesley publication? Where can I obtain a copy?

jeremy mereness
=============   "A car in every pot; a chicken in every garage"
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/30/89)

In article <cZ8dQVi00Uo140q6dW@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
>"The Appleshare Programmer's Guide to the Apple //GS"
>is this an Addison-Wesley publication? Where can I obtain a copy?

Nope, not Addison-Wesley:  APDA (1-800-282-APDA).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (10/03/89)

In article <35136@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:

> In article <cZ8dQVi00Uo140q6dW@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
> >"The Appleshare Programmer's Guide to the Apple //GS"
> >is this an Addison-Wesley publication? Where can I obtain a copy?

> Nope, not Addison-Wesley:  APDA (1-800-282-APDA).

I might add that it's order number A2G0051 and is $20.00.

It might be more appropriately titled _AppleTalk Programmer's Guide for
the Apple IIGS_ since it covers interfacing to all the various Apple-defined
protocols.  You will probably want to get _Inside AppleTalk_ (Addison-Wesley,
available from APDA as C0078LL/A, $32.95) as well, for instructions on how to
use the protocols.  If you really are getting it for use with AppleShare,
_AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) Engineering Technical Notes_ (A7G0018, $25)
is probably indispensible, since I don't think _Inside AppleTalk_ covers AFP
(someone correct me if I'm wrong -- I've got the looseleaf version from 1986.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (10/04/89)

Scott Lindsey <claris!wombat@APPLE.COM> writes:
>_AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) Engineering Technical Notes_ (A7G0018, $25)
>is probably indispensible, since I don't think _Inside AppleTalk_ covers AFP
>(someone correct me if I'm wrong -- I've got the looseleaf version from 1986.

The BOOK inside Appletalk covers AFP, chapter 13, pages 13-1 thru 13-146, and
covers everything which is in the June 1986 AppleTalk Filing Protocol
Engineering Tech notes.  But of course its polished up somewhat.  You can
even throw out your ADSP(well almost), the book does not have data types, or
small code example stuff for ASDP.

The book seems to take all notes, and put them in a nice context.

scott hutinger    mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet