[comp.sys.apple] Puzzle with GS/OS 3.0

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (10/03/89)

I'm still struggling with getting DeluxePaint II to work under GS/OS 3.0
and 1.25meg of memory.  I've tried trying to launch it from prosel-16 and
am running into some problems which I described in another posting.  I ran
into a real strange one this evening.

I have a (real & paid for) non-copy protected version of Deluxepaint II.
I boot off the hard disk and am in the finder.  I then put in the floppy
in the drive, open it and double click on the application.  The program
runs!

When I run the program off the harddrive, I get an $1101 memory manager
error.

This is quite repeatable!  Is there any reason for the difference that
anyone might be able to think of?

Thanks...Chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (10/03/89)

In article <898@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I'm still struggling with getting DeluxePaint II to work under GS/OS 3.0
>and 1.25meg of memory.  I've tried trying to launch it from prosel-16 and
>am running into some problems which I described in another posting.  I ran
>into a real strange one this evening.
>[stuff deleted]
>When I run the program off the harddrive, I get an $1101 memory manager
>error.
>
>This is quite repeatable!  Is there any reason for the difference that
>anyone might be able to think of?

The fix on America Online is to modify the "SHRCONV.FINDER" file to launch
DPAINT instead.  It runs purge-o-matic, which does things I have yet to
comprehend to compact memory.  You can just make a copy of SHRCONV.FINDER,
block edit the name SHRCONVERT to DPAINT (taking care to fix the "length of
string" byte preceding the string, inclusive of the two prefix characters) and
put it in the same subdir that DPAINT is in.  With my genuinely paid for, but
patched version of DPaint, this fix works about 80% of the time.  Sometimes,
I get the funny memory error.  Adding another 256K (for a total of 1.5M)
didn't appear to fix the problem. :(

Hope this helps,

--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
   "MY GOD! I HAVE POCKETS!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HAVE POCKETS!!" - Tick

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (10/04/89)

RE: using POM to launch DeluxePaint II

In article <4487@wpi.wpi.edu>, dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes...

>put it in the same subdir that DPAINT is in.  With my genuinely paid for, but
>patched version of DPaint, this fix works about 80% of the time.  Sometimes,
>I get the funny memory error.  Adding another 256K (for a total of 1.5M)
>didn't appear to fix the problem. :(

This is what I'm running into.  I tried this and it worked for a while.
Now it refuses to work.

Does anyone know if DeluxePaint II is still supported for the IIgs?  Will
a "fix" be forthcoming from the company who put it out?