[comp.sys.apple] New //gs

tom@pro-europa.cts.com (Thomas Eidson) (10/03/89)

I just got the new //gs rom version three and I set it up yesterday.  Then I
booted up the System disk and noticed that my Ram drive's icon did not come up
on the screen while running finder.  I thought to myself, "Ah, forgot to set
it in the control panel," I set it in the text control panel and rebooted.  It
didn't show up the next time so I used the system disk's control panel, it
didn't work either.  I then inserted my expansion card in the expansion slot
(with the computer off of course) and found that it did not add any memory to
the ram.  I redid it and still nothing happened.  I've read over
troubleshooting in the manual and everything that has to do with the ram drive
and the expansion card and nothing works that I have tried.  What am I doing
wrong?  Is anyone else having this problem?

I used my ram drive daily on the other //gs here and without one I'm severely
crippled.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tom
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tom@nosc.mil
INET: tom@pro-europa.cts.com

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (10/03/89)

Comment to message from: tom@pro-europa.cts.com (Thomas Eidson)

Tom, the "new" GS systems seem to be incompatible with some of the early RAM
cards.  Check with the maker.  Hopefully, it is a card from AE or one of the
other mainstream vendors.  They should be able to supply an upgrade.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <8910030425.AA03131@trout.nosc.mil> tom@pro-europa.cts.com (Thomas Eidson) writes:
>I just got the new //gs rom version three and I set it up yesterday.  Then I
>booted up the System disk and noticed that my Ram drive's icon did not come up
>on the screen while running finder.  I thought to myself, "Ah, forgot to set
>it in the control panel," I set it in the text control panel and rebooted.

So far I'm uncertain what you mean:  Are we talking about RAM5 in the RAMDisk
section of the control panel, or about a slot-1-through-7-based RAMcard that
you need to set to Your Card in the Slots section?

>[...] I then inserted my expansion card in the expansion slot
>(with the computer off of course) and found that it did not add any memory to
>the ram.

What card?  Is this Apple's 1-meg memory expansion card, or what?

By the way, the top line of your screen *does* say "Apple IIgs" when you boot,
right?
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (10/04/89)

Network Comment: to #10700 by tom@pro-europa.cts.com

> CS-ID: #10700.apple.ii/info-apple@pro-colony 990 chars
> Date: Tue,  3 Oct 89 05:15:22 CST
> From: tom@pro-europa.cts.com (Thomas Eidson)
> Subject: New //gs
>
> I just got the new //gs rom version three and I set it up yesterday.  Then I
> booted up the System disk and noticed that my Ram drive's icon did not come up
> on the screen while running finder.  I thought to myself, "Ah, forgot to set
> it in the control panel," I set it in the text control panel and rebooted.  It
> didn't show up the next time so I used the system disk's control panel, it
> didn't work either.  I then inserted my expansion card in the expansion slot
> (with the computer off of course) and found that it did not add any memory to
> the ram.  I redid it and still nothing happened.  I've read over
> troubleshooting in the manual and everything that has to do with the ram drive
> and the expansion card and nothing works that I have tried.  What am I doing
> wrong?  Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> I used my ram drive daily on the other //gs here and without one I'm severely
> crippled.
>
> UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tom
> ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tom@nosc.mil
> INET: tom@pro-europa.cts.com

What RAM card do you have?  If you have an AE card (gs-ram or gs-ram plus) you
will need to get a new PAL from AE.  If you have a gs-ram ultra card there is
a cut you can make to the card to work with the new motherboard.

Good Luck!

Dale

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

UD169430@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Aaron Swiers) (10/05/89)

Thomas,

I'm no authority on IIgs's, but from what I have heard/read, if you
own an Applied Engineering ram card, it will not work.  What I have
heard is that about the only thing the Rom 3 GS's AREN'T compatible with
are memory expansion cards from AE.  You didn't mention what brand of
card you had, but I suspect this to be the problem.

Until then,

Aaron Swiers