[comp.sys.apple] Ultima V installation

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/15/89)

     Does anyone know of a way to install Ultima V on a hard disk?  The game
comes with four double-sided 5.25" disks.  One side is the protected startup
disk, and all 7 other sides are ProDOS disks full of files, completely un-
protected.
     What I need is a way to make the game look at a hard drive for folders
named after the disks.  If the startup disk is just a tweaked DOS (possibly
ProDOS) does anyone know of a way to convert it to readable (Pro)DOS and
consequently startable from a hard drive?
     Thanks for any help.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
    ALPE:        ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |============================
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Ken.") (09/30/89)

     I've been able to unprotect the bootup disk, but normal ProDOS has
been replaced by, I believe, DINKEYDOS, which is smaller than the PRODOS
SYS file.  I assume this is because it excludes unneeded commands.
     When I try to execute the DINKEYDOS SYS file, either from GS/OS or
ProDOS 8, it crashes.  However, when I boot the disk, it comes out fine.
If the info on track 0 is required, how do I add this to the DINKEYDOS
file to get it to boot from ProDOS or GS/OS?
     Thanks for help...

leed@cell.mot.COM (Dwight Lee) (10/03/89)

In article <8909292205.AA13171@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Ken.") writes:

>     I've been able to unprotect the bootup disk, but normal ProDOS has
>been replaced by, I believe, DINKEYDOS, which is smaller than the PRODOS

I haven't looked or played Ultima V in a LONG TIME (so I might be totally
incorrect, but I doubt it) but as I recall, DINKEYDOS contains a driver for
reading 5.25" (ie, Disk ][ and compatible) drives and NOTHING ELSE.  I imagine
that this was done to (1) support the lowest common denominator machine (2)
avoid having to license ProDOS to distribute with the game and (2.1) quick 'n'
easy disk protection (side note: if you convert the boot disk to a normal
format, you needn't change DINKEYDOS, because it will autodetect the format).

This means that if you want to move Ultima V to your 3.5" or hard disk, you
might have to supply your own block-reading routines.  This might not be fun,
unless you can find a way to pass control from DINKEYDOS to a real PRODOS
without a loss of functionality.

Hmm, for some reason I remember DINKEYDOS having an RWTS (a la DOS 3.3) inside
of it.  This should be easily intercepted.

>SYS file.  I assume this is because it excludes unneeded commands.
>     When I try to execute the DINKEYDOS SYS file, either from GS/OS or
>ProDOS 8, it crashes.  However, when I boot the disk, it comes out fine.

I believe that this is because the convention is to execute the system file
(usually PRODOS) with one of the registers (X) set to the slot number << 4.
You should be able to patch DINKEYDOS to be executable directly; I did this
once, but I don't remember how (maybe patch a JSR to somewhere that will
LDX #$60 and RTS, though more elegant schemes are possible).

>If the info on track 0 is required, how do I add this to the DINKEYDOS
>file to get it to boot from ProDOS or GS/OS?
>     Thanks for help...
>
>InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
>    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
>   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
>     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964

I hope this is helpful to you.

dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) (10/04/89)

Network Comment: to #700 by motcid!leed@uunet.uu.net

I worked with Ultima V on a 3.5 and basically - it won't go.  You would have
to be REAL serios about doign this as the whole WORLD is NOT a file in itself.
The world is mapped out on the disk, so specific parts of the disk are not
addressed by prodos, but are used by the game.  I also was able to run Ultima
V off ProDOS.  That is, I launched the game while in prodos.  I would just
drop the whole thing, as it probably wouln't even fit on a 3.5 anyway.
>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<
                The Dougger says...

Always expect the least and you will never be disappointed.

buchho@studsys.mu.edu (buchho) (10/05/89)

In article <8910040838.AA09698@trout.nosc.mil> dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) writes:
>Network Comment: to #700 by motcid!leed@uunet.uu.net
>
>I worked with Ultima V on a 3.5 and basically - it won't go.  You would have
>to be REAL serios about doign this as the whole WORLD is NOT a file in itself.
>The world is mapped out on the disk, so specific parts of the disk are not
>addressed by prodos, but are used by the game.  I also was able to run Ultima
>V off ProDOS.  That is, I launched the game while in prodos.  I would just
>drop the whole thing, as it probably wouln't even fit on a 3.5 anyway.
>>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<
>                The Dougger says...
>
>Always expect the least and you will never be disappointed.

I've done it.  Basically, what comes of it is that you get two disks.  One that
you boot from the 5.25, and the rest on the 3.5" disk.

First, format a 3.5" disk, name it /UV or something short, and then create
seven directories corresponding to the seven disks (non-bootup disk), again
keeping the names short.  Then, copy each side to its corresponding directory.
Get out your handy-dandy sector editor (I like ProByter) and search for the
pathnames of the original 5.25" disks and change them to /UV/xxxx (you might
want to check this first to see how big you can make your directory pathnames).

It's been awhile since I've done this, but this is the basic strategy I used.
I won't be held responsible *if* something goes wrong, and I assume you'd be
smart enough to be working with backups in the first place.  Have fun!
--
[]   Jacob S. Buchholz    [] This does look a little empty doesn't it?      []