[comp.sys.apple] AWGS Page Length

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (10/02/89)

I've been playing with AWGS recently and found that I get rather high
quality output when the output is set to compressed mode. (72 DPI rather
than the 36 dpi NORMAL).  This produces fonts which are the size they are
supposed to be.  Now the problem I have in Page Layout, is I haven't been
able to figure out if there is a way to set the page length to 22", such
that when I go to print out in compressed mode (or real mode :-) ) I get a
full page fo text rather than the half page I currenlty get now.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

If it can't, then its an obvious choice for an enhancement (IMHO).  Claris
are you listening?

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (10/04/89)

From article <884@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
> I've been playing with AWGS recently and found that I get rather high
> quality output when the output is set to compressed mode. (72 DPI rather
> than the 36 dpi NORMAL).  This produces fonts which are the size they are
> supposed to be.  Now the problem I have in Page Layout, is I haven't been
> able to figure out if there is a way to set the page length to 22", such
> that when I go to print out in compressed mode (or real mode :-) ) I get a
> full page fo text rather than the half page I currenlty get now.
If you set condensed mode in the Page Setup dialog, your page should auto-
matically be readjusted to 22".  Go to full page mode to check.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (10/05/89)

In article <10596@claris.com> jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes:

> From article <884@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
> > I've been playing with AWGS recently and found that I get rather high
> > quality output when the output is set to compressed mode. (72 DPI rather
> > than the 36 dpi NORMAL).  This produces fonts which are the size they are
> > supposed to be.  Now the problem I have in Page Layout, is I haven't been
> > able to figure out if there is a way to set the page length to 22", such
> > that when I go to print out in compressed mode (or real mode :-) ) I get a
> > full page fo text rather than the half page I currenlty get now.
> If you set condensed mode in the Page Setup dialog, your page should auto-
> matically be readjusted to 22".  Go to full page mode to check.

Actually, not quite.  There's two issues here: Fonts being the size they're
*supposed* to be... "Normal" mode is WYSIWYG for the GS - stretched characters,
and the page size versus resolution.

"Condensed" mode gets you the same ratio as WYSIWYG on a Mac.  If you use
condensed mode, you will not get a 22" page.  You will get an 11" page with
twice the resolution.  E.g., in normal mode, the normal PL window will give
you 4" of vertical page display; in condensed, you get 2" (in intermediate,
you get 2-3/4").  This means that you have twice as many pixels per vertical
inch.  If you fill up a page in condensed mode, you should get a pageful of
condensed text.  If you fill up a page in normal mode, you should get a
pageful of "normal" text.  Any questions?

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (10/05/89)

>"Condensed" mode gets you the same ratio as WYSIWYG on a Mac.  If you use
>condensed mode, you will not get a 22" page.  You will get an 11" page with
>twice the resolution.  E.g., in normal mode, the normal PL window will give
>you 4" of vertical page display; in condensed, you get 2" (in intermediate,
>you get 2-3/4").  This means that you have twice as many pixels per vertical
>inch.  If you fill up a page in condensed mode, you should get a pageful of
>condensed text.  If you fill up a page in normal mode, you should get a
>pageful of "normal" text.  Any questions?

Very true.  I was looking for a 22" page in the "size to fit" screen and
never found.  Tried this last night and it worked like a champ.  I can't
keep my daughter off the machine.  We were up until ten last night getting
out a nine page news letter for school.

Thanks Syn and Scott for all your help......Chris