[comp.sys.apple] Mystery interface card...

S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) (10/06/89)

> [...] The card has two sets of pins marked IN and OUT. Each of
> these, has two pins identical to the speaker jack on the motherboard.

  It sounds like a 80 column video card for an Apple ][+ to me.  I
used to have (still do, just don't use it anymore) a ][+ with a Videx
Ultraterm that sounds similar in design.  It had two RCA-type phono
jacks (ie. monitor jack) whereas you would run the output signal from
the motherboard into the interface and then the output from the
interface to the monitor.  This allowed for the signal to be processed
before getting to the screen.
  The only snag in this (wild and crazy?) theory of mine, is that you
stated it had two pairs (ie. four) of jacks similar to the *speaker*
jack....

Anyone else wanna take a guess?

Jeff Sorte - s825177@uwec.bitnet

braun@cs.purdue.EDU (Matthew J. Braun) (10/06/89)

In article <891005.18120567.029656@UWEC.CP6>, S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) writes:
> > [...] The card has two sets of pins marked IN and OUT. Each of
> > these, has two pins identical to the speaker jack on the motherboard.
>   It sounds like a 80 column video card for an Apple ][+ to me.  I
>   The only snag in this (wild and crazy?) theory of mine, is that you
> stated it had two pairs (ie. four) of jacks similar to the *speaker*
> jack....
> Anyone else wanna take a guess?

Sure.  Some of the Videx-compatible have similar jacks.  The cord which
attatches to one set of the pins converts the two-pin output to an
RCA-type jack (which goes to the CRT.)  The second set of pins may be
the input port for a Light Pen.  (No, I don't know how it works. :-)  )

					-m@
					(Matt Braun)