[comp.sys.apple] Hard disks for IIGS

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (09/25/89)

My Apple HD20 SC died last week, and the computer shop wants about $500 to	fix
fix it (basically a replacement).  Therefore I am in the market for a new
hard drive.  Does anyone out there have any recommendations?  The failure
was in the drive itself, so I do own a fully functional Rev C Apple SCSI
card, but I'm not wedded to SCSI if there's something better.  The two I've
been considering the most are the Inner Drive and the Vulcan.  I'd appreciate
any good information and advice.  Thanks!

Also, what's a good backup program that will work with the new GS/OS stuff
(resource forks)?  My last backup (using Apple's backup program) predated
my installation of the latest OS, and as a result I've lost a small, but
somewhat painful to recreate, quantity of work.

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (09/25/89)

> Also, what's a good backup program that will work with the new GS/OS stuff
> (resource forks)?  My last backup (using Apple's backup program) predated
> my installation of the latest OS, and as a result I've lost a small, but
> somewhat painful to recreate, quantity of work.

I would strongly recommend ProSel-16.  It is only available directly
from the author, Glen Bredon.  Sorry, but I don't have his address
here at work.  If you want his address, send me some EMAIL.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/06/89)

In article <8909251217.AA00629@mitre.arpa> mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG writes:

|My Apple HD20 SC died last week, and the computer shop wants about $500 to
|fix it (basically a replacement).  Therefore I am in the market for a new
|hard drive.  Does anyone out there have any recommendations?  The failure
|was in the drive itself, so I do own a fully functional Rev C Apple SCSI
|card, but I'm not wedded to SCSI if there's something better.

You've got most of the hardware already.  Look in magazines like 'Computer
Shopper' for good deals on SCSI hard drives (not hard drive systems).  For
the $500 your dealer wants, you can probably get a 40meg or 60 meg drive.
Buy the new drive, remove the old one from the case, install the new, and
your ready to go.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"